O visa London

Hello. Just going to apply for a single non o visa from London Thai Consulate based on having a Thai child. Only single entry for 90 days as will return to work after that. I was wondering how much should I show on bank statement. I have 3 k at the moment or should I show more and do I need a return flight. Thanks very much for all your replies.

5 minutes ago, Stanvac said:

I would like to stay 90 days. I understand I could get tourist for 60 then extend but might just be easier with the single entry o. I have all documents here. 

Tend to disagree.

For 90 days you could even enter visa exempt obtain 30 day extension and do one border bounce. 

Being UK you could even take your child for weekend visit to somewhere like Saigon or go alone.

The non O is not ridiculous, just showing that there are several options. 

Lot depends on where you will be based in Thailand. 

Edited by DrJack54

21 minutes ago, Stanvac said:

Hello. Just going to apply for a single non o visa from London Thai Consulate based on having a Thai child. Only single entry for 90 days as will return to work after that. I was wondering how much should I show on bank statement. I have 3 k at the moment or should I show more and do I need a return flight. Thanks very much for all your replies.

I think you'll need a visa of some  sort if you're going without the return flight already sorted

Embassy granted my tourist visa of 60 days with only the upload of a one way flight

If you only try the visa exempt entry on a one way you run the risk of being offloaded at check in

• Thumbs Up 1

Did border bounce in June this year  KL for 2 nights. Was pulled on return to Phuket. Made to wait for one hour. Nothing major as had all documentation about child and return flight to uk. I just think it is an easier by obtaining a visa before entering. By the way that was my first visa exempt for 6 years. Been on long term visas before that. I am based in Phuket

7 minutes ago, Stanvac said:

Was pulled on return to Phuket. Made to wait for one hour.

If you intend to be based in Phuket then a non O or tourist visa good options.

Amazed you were given hard time at Phuket airport.

Quite ridiculous given your history. 

Just for future info land border bounce would not have been an issue. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Chivas said:

If you only try the visa exempt entry on a one way you run the risk of being offloaded at check in

Many use sites such as "onwardticket.com" 

Works fine or step away from counter and book throw away ticket. 

• Sad 1

Will need a return anyway as I’m planning to leave on nov 23 and return feb 21 but was gonna purchase closer to return but can get now no problem. Just not sure if 3 k is enough. Obviously will have more when going. Not sure if I should wait a week or 2 to have more on bank statement.  Yes a little surprised to be pulled at Phuket airport. Female IO had one look. Seen I had been out country for 2 nights and told supervisor. Yes could have done land entry but was easy to jump on a flight. There was 6-7 people pulled with me. I did have return flight and with all my other documents they let me through.

Proof of onward flight is a requirement according to the details on the London Embassy website. The extract at the end is also taken from the website (relates to 'O' family visa):

For what it's worth, I applied for the same visa last month. Took 3 weeks for visa to come through. My bank statement showed +/-£10k. I got asked to resubmit itinerary - probably because I plan to stay +/-120 days? - but no further questions.

"closing balance of £500 (for individual single entry) £1,000 (for family single entry), £5000 (for individual multiple entries, and £10,000 (for family multiple entries) , proof of earnings (payslips) or sponsorship letter from your sponsor with official ID and their Bank Statements. (Do not send the screenshot)"

50 minutes ago, Stanvac said:

£5000 is that the requirement for certain. If that’s the case will try to get a tourist. Now the problem is the return flight dated 90 days but visa only 60. 

3. Financial evidence, e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party

-Your recent official UK/Ireland bank statement shows your name, address, and a minimum

closing balance of £500 (for individual single entry) £1,000 (for family single entry), £5000 (for individual multiple entries, and £10,000 (for family multiple entries) , proof of earnings (payslips) or sponsorship letter from your sponsor with official ID and their Bank Statements. (Do not send the screenshot)       

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/spouse-and-family-visa

£3,000 is plenty.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Tend to disagree.

For 90 days you could even enter visa exempt obtain 30 day extension and do one border bounce. 

Being UK you could even take your child for weekend visit to somewhere like Saigon or go alone.

The non O is not ridiculous, just showing that there are several options. 

Lot depends on where you will be based in Thailand. 

Making border bounces on a short stay rather than get a visa that covers the whole time if available is ridiculous 

2 hours ago, Stanvac said:

Will need a return anyway as I’m planning to leave on nov 23 and return feb 21 but was gonna purchase closer to return but can get now no problem. Just not sure if 3 k is enough. Obviously will have more when going. Not sure if I should wait a week or 2 to have more on bank statement.  Yes a little surprised to be pulled at Phuket airport. Female IO had one look. Seen I had been out country for 2 nights and told supervisor. Yes could have done land entry but was easy to jump on a flight. There was 6-7 people pulled with me. I did have return flight and with all my other documents they let me through.

If you also arrive in Thailand on November 23rd and leave on February 21st, you will be in Thailand for 91 days. So a single Non O will leave you one day short.

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

Making border bounces on a short stay rather than get a visa that covers the whole time if available is ridiculous 

Why plural.

Entering visa exempt would require one border bounce.

The only option for visa to cover 90 days is a non O.

Tourist visa would require an extension.

Many would find side trip to somewhere like Saigon enjoyable.

It was only one option that I mentioned.

I also stated in another post

"If you intend to be based in Phuket then a non O or tourist visa good options."

"Ridiculous" in YOUR mind , I'm not surprised given track record. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I appreciate all answers and thanks. Still not 100% what to apply for. Probably try the non o single with 3 k and see what they say. I know it’s pointless trying to call so will have to just apply. If they say no I will then attempt the tourist. 

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

Never done a border bounce. When I had a multiple entry Non-immigrant 'O' Visa I thoroughly enjoyed visiting neighbouring countries for a few days.

Don't rule it out.

7 hours ago, Stanvac said:

So Ray would you say 3k would be ok. Does that extract say you only need £500 for single entry. Seems a bit low for a 90 day visa

Stanvac, The official guidance is as I stated previously https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/spouse-and-family-visa

LiddleJohn seems to believe otherwise. My experience with the London Embassy was also different to his. I found them very helpful, albeit that was some time ago (pre-Covid) and about 'legalising' our UK marriage certificate in Thailand. Good luck.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Why plural.

Entering visa exempt would require one border bounce.

The only option for visa to cover 90 days is a non O.

Tourist visa would require an extension.

Many would find side trip to somewhere like Saigon enjoyable.

It was only one option that I mentioned.

I also stated in another post

"If you intend to be based in Phuket then a non O or tourist visa good options."

"Ridiculous" in YOUR mind , I'm not surprised given track record. 

Nope, your the ridiculous one.  You recommend the same thing almost every post. Short term tourist may not want to spend the time and money to do a border bounce if a visa that covers the time is available. Not sure what my track record is or what it has to do with you.  Check yourself first before you ridicule others as thats your MO and many find it annoying.  

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Stanvac said:

Thanks Ray. Really appreciate your help. I will continue with the o visa application and see how I go. 

Non-O married Visa, May 2023,  1000 single Entry  10000 Multi ( Accommodation booking for the first couple of nights on arrival)

good luck with your application.

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Many use sites such as "onwardticket.com" 

Works fine or step away from counter and book throw away ticket. 

I'm bemused with the Embassy website.

As per earlier post I applied and was given 60 day visa with an upload of a one way ticket

The website itself however clearly states onward tickets are required but only under a blanket heading for want of a better description

I always thought (and still do) that a one way ticket inbound when you have an advance tourist visa is fine.

Visa exempt entry and its not fine and 16 years ago I had the problem on Emirates trying to do just that. I signed an indemnity in the end and they let me board

I really dont want to be having an arguement at check in at Etihad and for the $16 it seems your suggestion might be a good idea

Correct me if I'm wrong but they need to be applied for 24 hours before wheels up as they expire at the 24 hour point ??

Or as you say step away from the counter ??

19 hours ago, RayC said:

Proof of onward flight is a requirement according to the details on the London Embassy website. The extract at the end is also taken from the website (relates to 'O' family visa):

I didnt notice your post

Thats exactly what I'm referring to in the above post of mine

12 minutes ago, Chivas said:

I really dont want to be having an arguement at check in at Etihad and for the $16 it seems your suggestion might be a good idea

You mention $16 which is on the website for "onward ticket " 

you do not need to make the booking 24hr prior.

In any event if you are issued a Visa...I very much doubt airline will have issue giving you a boarding pass. 

Visa exempt different situation..

Edited by DrJack54

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In any event if you are issued a Visa...I very much doubt airline will have issue giving you a boarding pass.

I agree and it what I've always assumed but assumption is a dangerous motherfu**** as Saddam found out to his cost !

@RayC makes the point re Embassy website onward requirements

Edited by Chivas

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

He could yes, but based on personal experience, if he's asked why he's entering and he says to visit his child, he could have a problem. It would depend on his visa/entry history.

As I've posted previously, I was given a warning when my Multi Non O ran out and I entered exempt. I was told that visiting my wife was not considered as tourism so I should not enter exempt or on a tourist visa (I had expired Non O's and Tourist visas in my passport). I was told that visiting my wife required a Non O and I would not be allowed to enter again without one.

That was at odds with the wording on the Royal Thai Embassy's (London) website at the time which stated that a tourist visa could be used for short visits to family. I considered e-mailing the embassy on that point - telling them their wording conflicted with advice from I.O.s  in Thailand but based on previous experience when I've pointed out mistakes on their website (there used to be many), my notification would fall on deaf ears.  As far as I know, the advice that a tourist visa is suitable for family visits is still on their website.

Whatever, having received one warning, if I was the OP and the purpose of the trip was to visit a family member, I would rely on what I was told at the airport and obtain a Non O - they are the people who decide if your getting in or not.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 1