Varnish floor

Wongkitlo

Hi. I was hoping for some advice (again). I have sanded an old wooden floor and am ready to prime it and varnish it. I have bought Beger F-6100 . On google translate the label says primer(as does a Thai person reading it) but when I research it both Shopee and Thai Watsadu are describing it as thinner.   My next door neighbour from germany, believing it is primer, says I should add thinner to it when I put on the primer(if that is what it is) but I look on youtube etc and nobody says to add thinner.  Same with the top  coat. I have beger Unithane U 202 and the neighbour says I should add thinner as well but youtube does not mention it. Thanks for any input

20231015_184041.jpg

20231015_184022.jpg

20231015_184011.jpg

12 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

AAA is a thinner. If you should thin finishes depends on the instructions. Virtually all Thai will thin, I only thin if I am spraying and only if absolutely required.

The last photo, according to google, isIMG_7149.thumb.jpeg.529c2d266b7fdf75862032fe63fd6ed7.jpeg

He is actually German but I  prefer your advice. I will take the thinner back to the shop and just use the F-6100 then the U-202. Thank you once again.

Thais thin all paints Don't listen to them. The last thing on their mind is a good result. 1stly thinned out its easier to apply, secondly cheaper as the paint goes further. In their mind win win. But like many buildings here the paint will be see through in 6 months and peeling off in a year. Thailand...the hub of cheap.and nasty

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Thais thin all paints Don't listen to them. The last thing on their mind is a good result. 1stly thinned out its easier to apply, secondly cheaper as the paint goes further. In their mind win win. But like many buildings here the paint will be see through in 6 months and peeling off in a year. Thailand...the hub of cheap.and nasty

Thanks. It seems simpler to put it down without the thinner

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It is usually good practice to thin the first coat as it allows better adhesion.

Thanks. I havedone the   primer coat. My friend convinced me to thin it a little. Thanks for the advice. You are always very helpful

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit

On 10/15/2023 at 9:38 PM, Kenny202 said:

Have had to repaint a number of times after workers have thinned out really good and expensive paint when I wasn’t supervising. It’s maddening. On metal, rust will win out if not full coated in this humid climate.

For your floor, If you’ve sanded or otherwise prepped the old or new wood deck well before, thinning is okay for first but not really necessary. 

I put 5 full coats of Begar Polyurethane 1k Suoreme on my deck with light sanding after 1, 2, and 4th coats. (2 coats on bottom of raised deck). Deck was made out of handpicked salvaged teak. 

I’m having to do most of the painting myself to get a decent job. Only a couple of guys followed my directions on how to brush without leaving brush strokes, feathering instead. Unfortunately, both were alcoholic and didn’t last, even after paying and helping one into rehab. Very sad situation here in Thailand. 

Sorry for the sob story! God bless them all. 

IMG_6204.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Last time I rented this place in a swanky pool villa developpment in Hua HIn, I peeped into a few houses around,  that were brand new dated only a few years, and the paint was already cripping from the walls outside. The place was run by farangs but apparently bad quality work remained the norm.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LAtoBangkok said:

Have had to repaint a number of times after workers have thinned out really good and expensive paint when I wasn’t supervising. It’s maddening. On metal, rust will win out if not full coated in this humid climate.

For your floor, If you’ve sanded or otherwise prepped the old or new wood deck well before, thinning is okay for first but not really necessary. 

I put 5 full coats of Begar Polyurethane 1k Suoreme on my deck with light sanding after 1, 2, and 4th coats. (2 coats on bottom of raised deck). Deck was made out of handpicked salvaged teak. 

I’m having to do most of the painting myself to get a decent job. Only a couple of guys followed my directions on how to brush without leaving brush strokes, feathering instead. Unfortunately, both were alcoholic and didn’t last, even after paying and helping one into rehab. Very sad situation here in Thailand. 

IMG_6204.jpeg

Your story reminds me of when I had a tile guy years ago.He did a super job but asked to be paid almost every day.Near the end of the job he would come to my house drunk already.You could clearly smell the Thai whiskey on his breath. Sadly he also had a new baby and young lady in tow and the kid was crying loudly the whole day.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LAtoBangkok said:

IMG_6204.jpeg

Your floor looks great. I finished mine and I guess it fulfills the purpose. Thanks for advice