Copy of my passport

BahnTH

Ok, here’s the story. I had to send a signed document at the post office, and they wanted a copy of my passport. I have a copy of my passport on my phone, she was tapping away on my phone and sent a picture of the parcel and my passport to my line account… and a copy of my passport to a slightly unstable Thai lady in my contacts. 

Is there anything she can do with that? I’m not going to find out she’s taken out lots of loans in my name sometime in the future am I?

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, BahnTH said:

Is there anything she can do with that? I’m not going to find out she’s taken out lots of loans in my name sometime in the future am I?

How could a Thai woman use a photo of a Western male's passport "to get lots of loans"?   Are you worried that the woman in the Post Office and every person in immigration and your bank and every hotel, house or condo you've stayed in and all the staff of every airline you've used could also do the same?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

God son if I was going to make up a story I’d make up a more exciting one than that. No where in my post does it say she took the photo with my phone. She took the photo with her phone.  

They do that, they tap away at your phone, add the post office to your line contacts and send receipts etc. If you live in Thailand this will have happened to you many times. 

Easy thing to do if English isn’t your first language and you’re used to android instead of iOS. 

I’ve unsent it in LINE. If she hasn’t taken a screenshot it’s gone. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

Never happened to me when I have used the PO here in Thailand.

They do request the phone number , which I give , but they have never requested to physically handle my phone.

Didn’t request, just picked up my unlocked phone and did it. ???????????? 

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wouldn't worry about it... 

A copy of a passport is needed for most things in this country... 

There are 100's of copies of my passport floating around various banks, government offices etc... 

if supplying a printed copy you should put a diagonal line through it and sign date it in the corner. Thais do this on their ID card copies, quite legal. (With an image on your phone you could put a coloured fine line the same via Editing tool). 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, BahnTH said:

Ok, here’s the story. I had to send a signed document at the post office, and they wanted a copy of my passport. I have a copy of my passport on my phone, she was tapping away on my phone and sent a picture of the parcel and my passport to my line account… and a copy of my passport to a slightly unstable Thai lady in my contacts. 

Every hotel and money exchange wants one

15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How could a Thai woman use a photo of a Western male's passport "to get lots of loans"?   Are you worried that the woman in the Post Office and every person in immigration and your bank and every hotel, house or condo you've stayed in and all the staff of every airline you've used could also do the same?

1000 loans

1 hour ago, tandor said:

if supplying a printed copy you should put a diagonal line through it and sign date it in the corner. Thais do this on their ID card copies, quite legal. (With an image on your phone you could put a coloured fine line the same via Editing tool). 

I do that even with Immigration when I sign a copy of PP.

Same with any vehicle transfer and add for selling car only.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wouldn't worry about it... 

A copy of a passport is needed for most things in this country... 

There are 100's of copies of my passport floating around various banks, government offices etc... 

And a lot of those will have my personal details or that of another expats on the reverse thanks to recycling! ????

20 hours ago, BahnTH said:

No where in my post does it say she took the photo with my phone. She took the photo with her phone.  

22 hours ago, BahnTH said:

she was tapping away on my phone and sent a picture of the parcel and my passport to my line account…