Americans with Social Security, Need VPN

Another data point, with questions re logging in, and normal waiting time for SS application (I applied in July).

I have a "legacy" SS password account, and a linked ID.ME account.   I have successfully used both in the past, until a month ago.  

For the past month both fail during open US hours.  The legacy SS password appears to be accepted, but goes to a "We cannot process your request at this time. Please try again later." page.  Similarly, the ID.ME account sends me the two-factor ID number, accepts it, then returns me to the original  login.gov / id.me / password login page.  

I have tried both Chrome and Edge browsers, and both True fiber and leeching off the old lady's phone connection, and both direct and VPN.   Same result every time. 

I called SS USA yesterday.   They said:  your legacy account doesn't work because there's no two-factor authentication.  We can't fix that, but we can remove it, and you'll be able to log in via id.me.  I'm not sure I believe this.

Question: Has anybody had this experience?   Should I have them delete the legacy password account?

Fwiw I'm trying to get on to check the status of my (completely ordinary) application for regular benefits, which went in 3 months ago.  US SS office says still pending in Manilla.   One other data point:  the application let me enter a mailing address in the US (separate from my Thai residence address).  However, SS operator said that they will only send any info or request mail to my Thai address (which I'm trying to avoid, 'cause my Medicare bill regularly arrives on or after the due date).   

Question:  should I continue to be patient?   Is 3+ months normal(ish) ?

3 hours ago, retiree said:

Another data point, with questions re logging in, and normal waiting time for SS application (I applied in July).

I have a "legacy" SS password account, and a linked ID.ME account.   I have successfully used both in the past, until a month ago.  

For the past month both fail during open US hours.  The legacy SS password appears to be accepted, but goes to a "We cannot process your request at this time. Please try again later." page.  Similarly, the ID.ME account sends me the two-factor ID number, accepts it, then returns me to the original  login.gov / id.me / password login page.  

I have tried both Chrome and Edge browsers, and both True fiber and leeching off the old lady's phone connection, and both direct and VPN.   Same result every time. 

I called SS USA yesterday.   They said:  your legacy account doesn't work because there's no two-factor authentication.  We can't fix that, but we can remove it, and you'll be able to log in via id.me.  I'm not sure I believe this.

Question: Has anybody had this experience?   Should I have them delete the legacy password account?

Fwiw I'm trying to get on to check the status of my (completely ordinary) application for regular benefits, which went in 3 months ago.  US SS office says still pending in Manilla.   One other data point:  the application let me enter a mailing address in the US (separate from my Thai residence address).  However, SS operator said that they will only send any info or request mail to my Thai address (which I'm trying to avoid, 'cause my Medicare bill regularly arrives on or after the due date).   

Question:  should I continue to be patient?   Is 3+ months normal(ish) ?

About an hour ago (around 9pm Thailand time) both the wife and I were able to logon to our acct as normal via the legacy acct method.   The 2FA code is sent to our email addresses. 

Since your application has been referred to Manila that means Manila plans to schedule a telephone interview...will probably do nothing more than ask you some questions that you already answered on your application...ask to confirm certain data.....probably take 10 minutes.   I have been involved in three such interviews over the last half dozen years.....mine, my wife's and a neighbor.  

And right now I'm hand-walking another neighbor thru the application process...a dual Thai-US citizen who has very low smartphone/computer use skills.  Anyway it was back in early July when we started his application by asking Manila to accomplish the application via telephone interview.  You can do an application via telephone interview or online application....Manila confirmed that in one of their email responses.  Well, in years past when you submitted a request to Manila for application via phone interview which works very well as they take all required data to build an electronic application, Manila process it and forwards it to Baltimore for final review/approval, and also tells you during the interview what docs you may have to mail Manila.  Like for a dual citizen you typically must mail a certified copy of your US passport and/or Naturalization Certificate (can get at US Embassy for free by in-person appt or by mail) unless you are brave enough to mail the originals and hope they find their way back to you when going thru the Thailand and Philippines mail systems...or DHL/FedEx.

OK, Manila has been asked in early July.  and then over the next few months there were a couple of back and forth emails/enquires separate by 2 to 3 weeks with Manila which made a person feel like Manila was very understaffed, had trainees doing all the work, etc.  After a few months of back and forth with Manila finally saying there are no available telephone appts right now (they are full up), but they will hopefully get back with the applicant in 60 days with a telephone interview date.  I convince my neighbor to submit and online application vs waiting any longer for a telephone interview date/time....or said another way, me and him set down in front of my computer and submitted it.   

OK, come the last few days of Sep the neighbor gets an email from Manila saying Baltimore had asked Manila for assistance in reviewing his application (i.e., Baltimore had passed it to Manila) and Manila gave a telephone interview date for a specific date/time during the first week of Nov.  So, the neighbor is now marching in place awaiting the scheduled phone call from Manila...but he's happy he now at least has a interview date...knows the application has been received and "slowly" being processed. 

Summary:  application which require Manila involvement now take a LOT longer than 3 to 4 years ago....why?....I don't know.   Thank goodness a SS pension application is only a once in a lifetime event.   Your application taking months and months and months is not uncommon when Manila involvement is required.  They are just much slower now for whatever reason(s).   And my neighbor who has a sister in California who is also applying for her SS pension said she is 3 months into her application still being reviewed/processed by the SSA...now she is a dual citizen also so that probably has something to do with the slow processing even with the U.S....no Manila involvement.   

Regarding the residence and mailing address thing, I expect for "application processing purposes" they may only want to use your residence/physical address but may use your U.S. mailing address "after" the application is approved.    Expect that is a question you need to ask Manila "whenever they get around to setting up a telephone interview with you.  Watch our email inbox (and spam box) closely...that is how Manila will most likely contract you regarding the interview date/time.  As mentioned that's how they contacted my neighbor....I thought he would probably get something via snail mail also but so far nothing and its been about a month since Manila emailed him with the interview date/time.  

Good luck with your application.  You might want to send Manila an email/inquiry regarding your application...when are they going to call?  Once your application is approved you are "officially" an ol' Geezer.  😉

Thanks for the response.  Yes, I used to get an email 2FA with an 8-digit confirmation code, most recently September 9 (but still can't get on now).  Still no idea why it doesn't work now, unless my e-mail or IP is on a block list, which occasionally happens with other international service providers. 

And yep, if they give me an e-mail confirmation / appointment time, that's great.  I have been concerned I'd miss any attempted phone call (which I generally don't answer or notice, since all I ever get are junk marketing calls).