Thai tourism hit as gun violence prompts Chinese visitor cancellations

webfact

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe someone should show those tourists how many people die in Thailand daily in traffic accidents compared to shootings. Then they shouldn't worry about shootings anymore. 

They are worried about kidnappings also 

4 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Wait until they find out how many die on the roads. The mind boggles at what fear can do. Like closing a country for a flu that would kill your tourism industry. Who would such a thing. Oh wait. 

Their in busses they don’t care anything about road deaths lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, spermwhale said:

I find this hard to believe. I doubt seriously that the Chinese suddenly consider Thailand dangerous after an incident like that. One month's worth of data does not a trend make. The end of the article noted all of the Chinese airlines that have established direct routes to Chiang Mai. It didn't say that any of those flights had been cancelled. 

And if they are expecting half as many tourists this year due to an event that happened this month, then there is something else going on. 60,000 fewer arrivals in a month still doesn't add up to reduce tourists from 10 million to 5 millions. 

Also this article states that 60,000 Chinese tourists cancelled their flights leading to a drop of 650,000 to 590,000 from one month to the next. Just because tourism drops by 60,000 doesn't mean they all cancelled. Perhaps those flights were never booked in the first place.

What a bunch of rubbish. 

They fear kidnappings and scams ffs by China gangsters and scammers 

Edited by Irish star

5 hours ago, 2baht said:

Tuk tuks waiting for nonexistent Chinese tourists! ????

It's possible that travelling in a tuk tuk is more likely to cause death or injury than guns.

Stricter gun control would be welcome but I don't think it's that likely you'd be shot visiting Thailand. The roads are more of a problem and I've never been killed or injured in my time here. The drop in numbers may be for other reasons but some people will always be spooked by things like these but it will pass.

12 minutes ago, Bunny Silverhand said:

Time to delete the BS visa rules and put some new ones in place. One year tourist visa renewable a 100 times + free welcome BJ at the airport. Tourism suddenly booming. Back on track. Tap tap, boom boom, slurp slurp! Done.

#TAT

Would the BJ be before or after immigration? Maybe 2 BJs. One to entertain you whilst you wait for immigration and another whilst waiting for your bags. Should also stop the scramble for bin space on the flight.

I've just had a thought. What about other family members? Wives, children or parents. Would it be behind a screen, unless you're business class of course.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Robbkk said:

Guns are already banned in Thailand. Have you ever seen any gun shops?

This is false, guns are not banned. Never having been a gun owner myself (and a foreigner that cannot own a gun here) I'm not familiar with the regulations, but there are many.

There is a gun "market" area near to China Town in Bangkok.

On 10/17/2023 at 4:22 PM, webfact said:

The incident, which resulted in the death of three people, including a Chinese tourist, and injured four others, has shaken the confidence of Chinese travellers in Thailand. The fallout from the incident has seen approximately 60,000 Chinese tourists cancel their trips to the country.

Interesting isn't it... Chinese tourist gets shot, BiB and Govt are all over it.

Western tourist gets murdered, violently assaulted, sexual assault...it's threaten/intimidated the victim into not pressing charges, not reporting offence or demanding justice so BiB cand just pretend it never happened!

Guess we're not real people I'm their eyes?

Edited by Ricardo99
Spelling errors
  • Thumbs Up 1