Social Security

I understand that foreigners who work in Thailand have to pay Social Security and I believe that as a result of that, you are eligible to receive treatment at Thai hospitals - correct?

However, I believe that things change when you reach retirement age.  I seem to remember reading that when you are over ?? years old, you still pay Social Security but you get it back at the end of each tax year?  Does that also mean that you would not be eligible for free hospital treatment when you reach that age - even though you are still paying tax and SS?

What is the position if you don't start working/paying tax until after the Thai retirement age?

Any other things I should be aware of regarding tax and SS?

20 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I understand that foreigners who work in Thailand have to pay Social Security and I believe that as a result of that, you are eligible to receive treatment at Thai hospitals - correct?

However, I believe that things change when you reach retirement age.  I seem to remember reading that when you are over ?? years old, you still pay Social Security but you get it back at the end of each tax year?  Does that also mean that you would not be eligible for free hospital treatment when you reach that age - even though you are still paying tax and SS?

What is the position if you don't start working/paying tax until after the Thai retirement age?

If you have paid sufficient years until the age of 55, then you’ll receive a lump sum payment. (I have a document from social security that shows my yearly contributions and future payout.) AFAIK it’s tax free. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

"What is the position if you don't start working/paying tax until after the Thai retirement age?"

You are not going to pay SS – when 60 years or older, I presume – or get it back...

image.jpeg.2a74d00543fd168f10a5dcadd25fc989.jpeg

If you began paying SS at early enough age, you can continue a voluntary payment around 500 baht per month and keep the healthcare benefit...

image.thumb.jpeg.f55b0a8498853e1ea72304d38d5a98aa.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I turned 55 a couple of years ago and got a lump sum. I retired and I pay 432 baht a month to keep the  health insurance. 

The problem for me is - I won't even be starting until I'm over the Thai retirement age.  I have a couple of pre-existing conditions that will probably push private health insurance out of reach. I was thinking that maybe the SS system might provide some cover but it seems not.

13 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

The problem for me is - I won't even be starting until I'm over the Thai retirement age.  I have a couple of pre-existing conditions that will probably push private health insurance out of reach. I was thinking that maybe the SS system might provide some cover but it seems not.

If you are over 55, you can't do that.