Bangkok Bank app PITA setup when using a new phone

On 10/19/2023 at 2:50 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Bangkok Bank you need a new ID so have to go to a branch, 30 mins later done, but not possible if abroad?

I have used the Bangkok Bank app in multiple phones since I had the account in 2017. I used my iBanking user ID, password, and phone number, and it worked every time, even from the USA. iBanking is the user id and password you use when accessing the BB website, not mBanking (mobile banking). 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

7 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I have used the Bangkok Bank app in multiple phones since I had the account in 2017. I used my iBanking user ID, password, and phone number, and it worked every time, even from the USA. iBanking is the user id and password you use when accessing the BB website, not mBanking (mobile banking). 

Yes we've established a few times already, if you have ibanking user ID you can set up without going to the branch, but many app users won't of done that as they don't need the ibanking as they use the app instead.

A visit to ATM or branch or maybe both is needed to set up the ibanking ID

On 10/26/2023 at 10:10 AM, digbeth said:

if you have access to their web-based internet banking (iBanking) it's the same username and password

Not quite (as I understand it).

The user ID is the original 10 digit user ID issued.  If you have changed that to something more memorable on the iBanking site you need that 10 digit number, not your replacement.

This can be found by changing the PIN at an ATM which will generate an SMS containing that original 10 digit ID.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, treetops said:

Not quite (as I understand it).

The user ID is the original 10 digit user ID issued.  If you have changed that to something more memorable on the iBanking site you need that 10 digit number, not your replacement.

This can be found by changing the PIN at an ATM which will generate an SMS containing that original 10 digit ID.

I changed phone recently and I successful logged in using my own user ID, not the ATM generated number and i never needed to visit the ATM or branch to get set up on the new phone 

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

I changed phone recently and I successful logged in using my own user ID, not the ATM generated number and i never needed to visit the ATM or branch to get set up on the new phone 

Was this an original 10 digit code or had you changed it to something easier for you to remember?

• 2 weeks later...

AS Bangkok Bank now mandates that the app be accessed on only one smartphone, you can use the app to delete an 'old' phone profile so that a new one (new phone) can be added. If you can't access your app and delete the dead phone, activating the app on the new phone doesn't work with the three methods the app provides.

As I have just discovered, if the old phone dies and the app is no longer accessible, one does need to visit an ATM to get the app running on the new phone as their system will still have the old (dead) phone listed. This is DESPITE there being no change in the phone number (same SIM card) as they register the handset's unique IMEI number*, not just the phone number.

* "An IMEI stands for International Mobile Equipment Identity. Think of it as your phone's fingerprint — it's a 15-digit number unique to each device. Phone carriers and manufacturers share IMEI numbers to enable tracking of smartphones that may be stolen or compromised."

It appears that Bangkok Bank use this technology and active biometrics as part of their phone fraud countermeasures.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

AS Bangkok Bank now mandates that the app be accessed on only one smartphone, you can use the app to delete an 'old' phone profile so that a new one (new phone) can be added. If you can't access your app and delete the dead phone, activating the app on the new phone doesn't work with the three methods the app provides.

As I have just discovered, if the old phone dies and the app is no longer accessible, one does need to visit an ATM to get the app running on the new phone as their system will still have the old (dead) phone listed. This is DESPITE there being no change in the phone number (same SIM card) as they register the handset's unique IMEI number*, not just the phone number.

* "An IMEI stands for International Mobile Equipment Identity. Think of it as your phone's fingerprint — it's a 15-digit number unique to each device. Phone carriers and manufacturers share IMEI numbers to enable tracking of smartphones that may be stolen or compromised."

It appears that Bangkok Bank use this technology and active biometrics as part of their phone fraud countermeasures.

Great helpful info! Thanks very much.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 3:10 PM, Crossy said:

Yeah ^^^, I installed on a new phone (same number) with no issues whatever, do ensure you have the latest version of the App.

I think I used my online banking details.

so did I close to 6 months ago, no issues ..... but some people complain there's not enough security for online banking and like in this case, when there is some extra security still complain

On 11/11/2023 at 7:21 AM, NanLaew said:

To ensure I understand where you say, "...you can use the app to delete an "old" phone profile...," do you mean deleting the old profile by doing this on the old phone OR doing it from the new phone?   Of course this assumes you still have the old phone and app installed on it.   

In the app under gear icon setting there is a menu titled Application, Device Management which currently shows my phone....I only have the app installed on one phone.  And there is a Delete button next to it which apparently would allow you to delete the device which would probably at the same time stop the ability to log onto the app until you set it up again like with a new phone.

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2023 at 2:25 PM, aublumberg said:

Here are the 3 options (plus credit card option)

Could contain:

But it does not work - we can all find that easily. I tried all three and nothing.

On 11/1/2023 at 2:21 PM, digbeth said:

the only case you'll need to revisit the ATM would be if you've forgotten what you set your user name/ID to 

That's not true - I know my ID and PW off by heart - unable to log into my new phone.

8 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

When I try to download the BB app I get the message "app not compatible with your device" newish Lenovo tablet with Android 12. Annoying.

Have known someone else in same position although he was in U.K. Apparently, apps can recognise that the device you're trying to install it upon isn't a mobile phone.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

When I try to download the BB app I get the message "app not compatible with your device" newish Lenovo tablet with Android 12. Annoying.

a vpn or antivirus software can be the cause of it not installing

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ianguygil said:

Like I always say, if anybody really can't sort this out I can get somebody to help you, so you can PM me and we will deal with this all offline, and not on a public forum.

Hijacking accounts is one of the major attack vectors so we (and all banks) need to balance convenience with security. I have setup several new phones with no problems at all using SMS. If you are not in possession of a registered Thai SIM that is an issue for the SMS, but if you do have one you can activate from abroad, we do not block that as with other banks.

On another subject I also saw a lot of discussion when reading this forum on FCD (foreign currency deposit accounts) and some banks needing you to move money into THB they back out again. Here is a link which explains a lot for expats in Thailand with a particular focus on FCD. I keep multiple FCD myself and it is really straight forward.

Again, any questions about your own personal banking situation with Bangkok Bank please PM me. This is NOT an officially supported Bank channel and I drop in occasionally to help out them we will move to PM. I have helped many forum members over the years and this is not a sca as the moderators will confirm.  Please click on this link or please use GOOGLE to search "Bangkok Bank FCD Account for non residents"

Ian

FCD Account for Non-Residents (bangkokbank.com)

Presumably you agree with the issue in the op? subsequent posts have listed how to solve it in Thailand but not if abroad

22 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Have known someone else in same position although he was in U.K. Apparently, apps can recognise that the device you're trying to install it upon isn't a mobile phone.

We protect against VM's which is a hacker tool to run various kinds of attacks. We use multiple approaches to detect this

Edited by ianguygil
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2023 at 8:03 PM, Pib said:

To ensure I understand where you say, "...you can use the app to delete an "old" phone profile...," do you mean deleting the old profile by doing this on the old phone OR doing it from the new phone?   Of course this assumes you still have the old phone and app installed on it.   

In the app under gear icon setting there is a menu titled Application, Device Management which currently shows my phone....I only have the app installed on one phone.  And there is a Delete button next to it which apparently would allow you to delete the device which would probably at the same time stop the ability to log onto the app until you set it up again like with a new phone.

The Bank of Thailand no longer allows banks to provide Mobile Banking on multiple devices. So we need to limit it to one active device. So when you add a new one the old one is deactivated.

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, ianguygil said:

The Bank of Thailand no longer allows banks to provide Mobile Banking on multiple devices. So we need to limit it to one active device. So when you add a new one the old one is deactivated.

People on here have reported that no problem to have an app on a phone and web acces on a laptop/pc so multi devices seems ok

49 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

People on here have reported that no problem to have an app on a phone and web acces on a laptop/pc so multi devices seems ok

Laptop/PC access is via the ibanking internet portal.  I read ianguygil's post as referring to mbanking using the app to be available on one device only.

5 minutes ago, treetops said:

Laptop/PC access is via the ibanking internet portal.  I read ianguygil's post as referring to mbanking using the app to be available on one device only.

so one phone or tablet and any number of devices accessing via web

2 hours ago, ianguygil said:

Question regarding adding a new mobile device...or maybe I should say activating Bangkok Bank mbanking on a new phone...I going to upgrade to a new phone over next few months. In the Bangkok Bank mbanking app there is a menu/setting that shows the mobile device you currently have activated to work with the banking and there is a Delete button allowing you to delete that device.

Here's my question: to activate the Bangkok Bank mbanking app on your new phone must I first go into my old phone and delete it in the menu OR by activating the mbanking on the new phone that process will automatically delete the old phone.

In your response above it implies it's an automatic process but I'm not sure.  Thanks.

On 1/5/2024 at 5:08 PM, Pib said:

Question regarding adding a new mobile device...or maybe I should say activating Bangkok Bank mbanking on a new phone...I going to upgrade to a new phone over next few months. In the Bangkok Bank mbanking app there is a menu/setting that shows the mobile device you currently have activated to work with the banking and there is a Delete button allowing you to delete that device.

Here's my question: to activate the Bangkok Bank mbanking app on your new phone must I first go into my old phone and delete it in the menu OR by activating the mbanking on the new phone that process will automatically delete the old phone.

In your response above it implies it's an automatic process but I'm not sure.  Thanks.

Actually I have no idea, let me ask my team. When I did it recently I did not really take note of all the steps but it was really quick. I will ask and get back to you. I used to have 4 or 5 phones registered before this BOT regulation. 

• Thanks 1