ordering contact lenses online

brian2322

I received a prescription from Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital recently where my contact lens prescription was over +8 with astigmatism.  The doctor said I should order contact lenses online because that high of a power of toric lenses is unavailable in Thailand.  

I have previously had to abandon a contact lens order that was shipped by the company via DHL at customs because I didn't have the necessary paperwork.  Specifically they are asking for a doctor's certificate specifying why I need the lenses.  

I emailed both customs and the hospital to ask for an example of such a medical certificate, or if my BHP-provided prescription would suffice, but noone has responded.  

Has anyone successfully gotten contact lenses ordered online successfully through customs?

Failing that, does anyone know of any eye doctor that is able to order high power toric contact lenses in Thailand?  I thought BPH was my best bet but they seemed oblivious to the customs issue.

did the doctor fit you with a specific contact lens brand or just give you a numbered prescription?

be careful ordering a lot at once if you were not fitted. i think the lenses differ by brand. you have the rx numbers but may need to try several brands until you get one that fits correctly.

as the doctor for the letter directly and personally.

Edited by JimTripper

The doctor just gave me the numbered prescription.  I was able to find the power and within 5 points on the cylinder and axis for the astigmatism in the Coopervision Proclear Toric XR brand.  Anything is better than the +6.00 (I am > +8.00) no astigmatism correction lenses that I'm making do with for now.

Yeah I would just order 1 box of each to see how they feel.  I've been wearing contacts for a very long time, it's just that my prescription exceeds what is available in Thailand.  My guess is in the end I will just have to return to my country for the order, but I'm interested if anyone has successfully ordered contact lenses online and gotten them through customs.

I just order mine from Lazada now as have given up on physical opticians other than for an eye test, and the overseas online stores take weeks/months to deliver.   This store is reliable and has a pretty wide range and they get delivered in a couple of days from Bangkok so no customs involved

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/pixel-eyes/?spm=a2o4m.pdp_revamp.seller.1.35431a7dRITlfI&itemId=3826226157&channelSource=pdp

• Thanks 2

Can you manage with spectacles Brian2322? I've never comtemplated inserting anything into my eyes. The very thought of laser surgery also frightens me. I've worn specs for distance for around 45 years. Forget exactly when it was an optometrist told me I now needed them for reading too. However, around 8 years ago I realised I no longer needed readers. This year my optometrist told me my distance vision had significantly improved and asked whether I was managing without specs? I told her she was absolutely correct! Don't know what you've been advised by your various optometrist's and opthalmologist's?  

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Can you manage with spectacles Brian2322? I've never comtemplated inserting anything into my eyes. The very thought of laser surgery also frightens me. I've worn specs for distance for around 45 years. Forget exactly when it was an optometrist told me I now needed them for reading too. However, around 8 years ago I realised I no longer needed readers. This year my optometrist told me my distance vision had significantly improved and asked whether I was managing without specs? I told her she was absolutely correct! Don't know what you've been advised by your various optometrist's and opthalmologist's?  

Welcome to the 21st century, Buck Roger's. Contacts are great and have been a game changer for me ever since I was a teenager.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I don’t wear them anymore, but for years I did. I was extremely nearsighted, and they still had my prescription for daily wear. I think I was -9. I had some astigmatism as well. Anyway, just check with Top Charoen optical.  There seems to be a shop on just about every block.  The worst that can happen is that they don’t have something you could try.