Anyone else having problems with faulty cans of Schweppes Tonic Water and Manao Soda?

pollyog

Having lived in Thailand for 14 years I have been a regular purchaser of both Schweppes Tonic Water and Manao Soda, usually in the 6-can packs, never individually.  Recently I am finding cans either almost empty or leaking after a couple of weeks and making a disgusting mess in my cupboard.  Never had this happen before about 4 months ago.

In the UK you'd simply take the faulty product back to the store where you bought it and get a replacement but in Thailand this is not usually the case.   

Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience recently and if so, what did you do about it?

About 5 years ago we had something like that, with the 'manao' ones. Like the cans weren't properly sealed or something. Same as what you described. This was from two different supermarket brands (and outside of Bangkok). Stopped buying it and never looked back. Aftertaste a bit too sweet and strong. Nowadays we just mix freshly squeezed lemon/lime juice with soda and ice.

Mrs. reminds me that we did complain. Not with much hope of getting compensated or anything. Just to let them know. Got a shrug and some excuse.

• Like 1

My thai qife is amazed we can rerurn almost anything here in the US of A .  Costco tajes back anything.  We even took back a bag of oranges that went bad after a week   just last sunday we returned a 24$ bag of mixed nuts to a vendor at a weekly farmers market.  Owner gave us 25$ back for our troubles.    So qhick and easy to return things to home depot and Lowe's.  No receipt required. Just goes off CC scan.   Some people here abuse it   i have had foreign customers who but 100-200$ plants to put by their front door.  Never even repotting them ir removing the tags and just return then when they die.  Its a year return on plants at big box stores.   We sid befriend a thai gal who came after college to work at home depot and a hotel for the summer season .   I guess its that hard to find seasonal employees.  Anyway ine of the male Thai seasonal workers took advantage of Costco.  He bought an electric scooter and used it for  4  months then returned it before he went home.  

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

My thai qife is amazed we can rerurn almost anything here in the US of A .  Costco tajes back anything.  We even took back a bag of oranges that went bad after a week   just last sunday we returned a 24$ bag of mixed nuts to a vendor at a weekly farmers market.  Owner gave us 25$ back for our troubles.    So qhick and easy to return things to home depot and Lowe's.  No receipt required. Just goes off CC scan.   Some people here abuse it   i have had foreign customers who but 100-200$ plants to put by their front door.  Never even repotting them ir removing the tags and just return then when they die.  Its a year return on plants at big box stores.   We sid befriend a thai gal who came after college to work at home depot and a hotel for the summer season .   I guess its that hard to find seasonal employees.  Anyway ine of the male Thai seasonal workers took advantage of Costco.  He bought an electric scooter and used it for  4  months then returned it before he went home.  

Yep, Usa is on the other side of the world. Things are done differently there.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/21/2023 at 6:34 PM, pollyog said:

simply take the faulty product back to the store where you bought it and get a replacement but in Thailand this is not usually the case.   

That is not the case, all the usual supermarkets and similar outlets for those products will refund, usually with no problems. I'm referring to Lotus's, Tops, Central, Big C, Makro, 7-11, Maxvalu, Foodland, etc.

Schweppes UK no longer exists so I would think the product was canned in Australia. Either the seaming machine, probably 12 heads, had one or two faulty heads or some of the lids lacked the thin layer of artificial rubber compound under the seam edge. Schweppes QC usually find the former when they check cans numbered according to the machine heads and if faulty seams are found the batch is quarantined. The latter is more difficult because packs of lids containing faults are down to the can/lid producer who have their own QC program. If one wants to return this complaint to the shop, take pictures of the any contaminated storage area before removal. Don't touch with the bare hands as the fungal/yeast growth can be easily be transmitted to other food items. Contacting the address printed on the cans may be better than taking back to the shop as you will get instructions on how to return items (lids and cans will different ID marks and of course different to the canning date) and you are more likely to receive a larger replacement voucher than a shop will give.

I have been having this problem this year with Pepsi, Coca Cola, Schweppes, Sprite, and one can of Chang Beer.

On all occasions, small "pinholes" appear in the base of the cans and the product usually leaks and evaporates, and sometimes leaves a messy residue I have couriered all the empty cans, with a typed letter back to each company and all have responded with explanations and replacement product.

@pollyogI have had this problem in the past, but only if I've left the cans in a cupboard (that tends to get too hot). And I generally don't stock a lot of mixers for that reason, because we don't drink them, and friends visiting went into a hiatus during and post pandemic. I do buy Chang soda in a bottle, which seems to be OK, but is also drunk pretty quickly.