British Tourist Trips on Road Stud and Breaks Nose in Pattaya

snoop1130

6 hours ago, roo860 said:

The original cat's eye road stud was not the glass type, this was the original invented by Percy Shaw, my old boss actually new him, this was invented in 1935.

Could contain:

Thanks, you have resolved my confusion. Never heard of road studs, only "cats eyes"!

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Thanks, you have resolved my confusion. Never heard of road studs, only "cats eyes"!

It's a collective name Bill, there's quite a lot of variations, just Google it, you'll be amazed 😉

• Thanks 1

Always remember meeting a pal in the pub and his nose was a right mess. He had tripped over the pavement step while crossing the road.... it was cold and he had his hands in his pockets and couldn't get them out. His noble nose was the first thing to hit stone. He admitted to having just left the pub.....

On 10/25/2023 at 3:01 PM, Dionigi said:

The two eyes were glass, I used to lever them out of the rubber surround they had nice copper or brass surrounds polished up nicely.

I was referring to the studs the guy tripped over, apparently they were solar.

Coincidentely I tripped over a road stud too yesterday night.

Was tipsy, yes.  Didn't fall over.   They stick out from the road surface by 2 or 3 cm.

I had to move from the pavement, sidewalk, to the road as there was a rubbish, garbage, bin blocking the path.

I am familiar with dangers of walking in thai streets.  Just have to accept it.

Edited by deejai33

10 minutes ago, deejai33 said:

I am familiar with dangers of walking in thai streets.  Just have to accept it.

Most people are, yet we can still get caught out. 

Early on I learned never we wear a baseball cap here, as watching where placed my feet ensured I wasn't watching for head height obstructions and would nearly garrotte myself on hanging cable or bang my head on a low-canopy in front of a shop. 

I watched a friend hurt themselves walking down the pavement....

An 'open front shop house type noddle restaurant'  had washed out their shop onto the pavement, grease, oil, the lot, my friends feet just slipped straight out from underneath...  I was close by and slipped but managed not to go over....  lethal... 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Early on I learned never we wear a baseball cap here, as watching where placed my feet ensured I wasn't watching for head height obstructions and would nearly garrotte myself on hanging cable or bang my head on a low-canopy in front of a shop. 

Yes, the low hanging cables need to be watched out for. 555.

And open electricity boxes on electric poles.  Last night I closed one.  A bit worried about getting a shock.

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems some people break their arm(s) when they do that. 

Yes, when older, clumsier and carrying a few pounds you certainly can. I ended up with a 6 week external fixation on my right wrist due to tripping while in a hurry. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1