Bank statement for SETV - any month or most current only accepted? (applying from Canada)

Hi folks.  About to apply for my SETV from Canada.

Can I submit a bank statement from ANY month in 2023  or will the system accept only the current one at time of applying? (In my case, October 2023.)

I checked out Bob Sultan's excellent YT video from last year but it wasn't clear to me how recent the bank statement needs to be.

Not wanting to start my application till I've gathered all info.

Thanks

Edited by Woke to Sounds of Horking
clarity

They're probably aware that some banks issue statements only at the end of the month and that you can't get one that's more current than from the end of last month. There's no reason, however, for them to accept a statement that is even older than that.

• Like 1

You've got to submit a bank statement for a tourist visa?  I used to walk into the Vancouver Consulate, pay my money and pick up the passport the next day. 

Sorry to be unhelpful, I'm just in shock how such a simple process has been hampered by new technology.  

54 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

You've got to submit a bank statement for a tourist visa?  I used to walk into the Vancouver Consulate, pay my money and pick up the passport the next day. 

Sorry to be unhelpful, I'm just in shock how such a simple process has been hampered by new technology.  

Some embassies/consulates have long required a bank statement for a single entry tourist visa, and I think all have required one for a multiple entry tourist visa. The requirement seems to have been gradually extended to all consulates, even for a single entry. I agree with you that the honorary consulates used to be great, at least for those who lived near one. In theory, being able to do everything online ought to be even better, but the e-visa system has not been well implemented.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bobthegimp said:

Yes you do.  I did that too at the Vancouver consulate - 15 years ago.  It was easy peasy.  The clerks were friendly and welcoming. Now everything has gone online via the eVisa. Personally would rather deal with people and the postal system but it is what it is.

• Like 1

When I applied for an E Tourist Visa in March, 2022 (London Embassy) I only submitted my latest monthly bank statement which had a balance of between £4,000 - £7,000 . The person assessing my application contacted me by e mail to advise me that my application was on hold pending submission of additional statements with a balance in excess of £500, and I supplied two further statements to make a three month consecutive period. Since then I have always supplied three months bank statements (all above £500 balance).

I was a bit taken aback by the request but complied immediately and the SETV was issued the next day. I suppose the positive aspect is that they did not refuse the application and gave me the opportunity to submit additional information.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

Some embassies/consulates have long required a bank statement for a single entry tourist visa, and I think all have required one for a multiple entry tourist visa.

I noticed a random consulate in Canada (Vancouver) shows the following: "A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to no less than 200,000 (Baht) per person or 400,000 (Baht) per family."

That's for an METV. But here's Penang's for a Tourist SETV: "The applicant’s bank statement or bank book showing the account’s name and number, balance and history of transactions for the last 3 months."

Does that seem excessive to anybody else? They want 3 months' worth of your financial transaction history for only an SETV.

Plus: "Proof of payment for accommodation for the whole period of stay in Thailand (the receipt must state the tax payer number of the relevant hotel/accommodation)"

I think I'd just take an exempt entry and extend from there instead. (Too bad it's only 30 days and not 90.)

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

Yes, it seems excessive, but those are the advertised rules.

I thought that might be particular to Penang/Malaysia, but Vientiane is the same: "Single-Entry Tourist Visa: 3-month financial statements with an average balance of 20,000 baht per person or 40,000 baht per family."

It's crazy that this is for a tourist visa. Asking for a bank balance is intrusive enough, what are they going to do with 3 months' worth of your financial history? You've already demonstrated you can afford the bulk of the trip by purchasing airfare and hotel reservations.

15 hours ago, avidorn said:

It's crazy that this is for a tourist visa. Asking for a bank balance is intrusive enough, what are they going to do with 3 months' worth of your financial history? You've already demonstrated you can afford the bulk of the trip by purchasing airfare and hotel reservations.

Paradoxical isn't it.  Cry over lack of tourists but then make the evisa process unnecessarily intrusive and cumbersome.  If I wasn't going for personal / family reasons I'd give it a pass altogether.

The SETV application asks for only the most recent month's bank statement, at least in my case.

• Thumbs Up 1

UPDATE:  To my surprise I didn't need to upload a bank statement  😜   Wonder if the application process for Canadians was modified when the site went offline for maintenance yesterday?

They asked me for only flight tickets and proof of accommodation. Had to send to Ottawa embassy, unfortunately.  Was hoping for Vancouver because I heard faster processing times.  As it stands, 25 business days to process according to embassy site.

Wonder if they'll bust my b@lls over accommodation.  I sent only my first 11 nights (nothing else booked yet because, duh..... traveling!)

Will update.

Edited by Woke to Sounds of Horking