Avdiivka about to fall ?

tgw

5 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

Avdivka as a town is about as important as Bakmut strategically.

It is a place of massive losses for the invader army.

As one commentator put it, there's a hundred Avdivkas on the road to Kiev

https://www.voanews.com/a/declassified-us-intelligence-reveals-massive-russian-losses-in-ukraine/7395271.html

The assessment, parts of which were shared with VOA, estimates more than 13,000 Russian forces have been killed or wounded since Moscow launched its October offensive along the Avdiivka-Novopavlivka axis in eastern Ukraine.

200 tanks and 400 other armored vehicles were also claimed to have been lost. 

You assume that Russia is going to advance on Kiev. IMO they will not and will simply dig in where they are till Ukraine negotiates. There is no strategic advantage that I can see in taking Kiev, and it would take massive losses to achieve.

Having removed the salient into Russian held territory, and straightened the front line they will be a hard task to remove if Ukraine is considering it.

Meanwhile, Russian troops will be cheered that they captured a formidable objective and Ukrainians face the humiliation of losing, not least losing so many of their comrades. Bad for morale, when they are already long past time for a rest and short of equipment and munitions.

Unless something amazing happens, IMO this is the beginning of the end of the war, and Ukraine will not retake it, despite it having cost so many Ukrainian lives to keep.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, retarius said:

Time for Ukraine to surrender and save what it has left, kick it lying, idiot President out in Ukraine and replace him with someone sane, and to kick the demented idiot president out of the US and replace him with someone whom is not a warmonger. 

Agree with all of that.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, retarius said:

I've just read the discussion which was pretty good until some one started with the insults. Good on you ThaiBeach. You have not been infected with Western Propaganda Disease (WPD) as so many of your detractors have. And I support your judicious use of the ignore function. With so many commenters blinded by WPD and getting their news exclusively from based western sources the ignore function is a necessity. It is refreshing to hear from an informed commenter who is knowledgeable and able to withstand the assault from the WPD sufferers. 

Thank you for the unexpected compliment.

I'm more used to getting insults on here.

It's also good to see so many posters that are not paid up members of the "West good, other side bad" opinion. I was against this war from the very start and suffered much abuse of the infantile sort, being accused of being a Putin supporter etc.

I haven't seen much in the way of the "orc" posts recently either. I guess two years for nothing gained isn't very encouraging for the Ukraine propagandists.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, retarius said:

Troll presumably means someone whose opinion you disagree with. You are meaning it as an insult, I know, but it comes across as bigoted and rather stupid. Take a chill pill. 

Oh they do like to insult, don't they, but it just shows them for what they are. Pity they don't have anything to say about the actual subject of the thread.

Meanwhile back on the front lines, this news will be encouraging the Russian troops and the opposite on the Ukrainian side.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/10/2023 at 3:50 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Had Ukraine negotiated would Putin have invaded? Please don't give me one of your usual talking points, as I will just ignore it, and stop making me the topic as I'm not. It's getting boring.

It was signed and Russia withdrew from Kiev - Zelensky then broke his word. Unfortunately, the people of Ukraine will suffer for it. It is a heartbreaking tragedy.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 2/18/2024 at 12:42 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

You assume that Russia is going to advance on Kiev. IMO they will not and will simply dig in where they are till Ukraine negotiates. There is no strategic advantage that I can see in taking Kiev, and it would take massive losses to achieve.

Having removed the salient into Russian held territory, and straightened the front line they will be a hard task to remove if Ukraine is considering it.

Meanwhile, Russian troops will be cheered that they captured a formidable objective and Ukrainians face the humiliation of losing, not least losing so many of their comrades. Bad for morale, when they are already long past time for a rest and short of equipment and munitions.

Unless something amazing happens, IMO this is the beginning of the end of the war, and Ukraine will not retake it, despite it having cost so many Ukrainian lives to keep.

I agree I think they will create a Donbas corridor and hold. 

• Agree 1

On 11/6/2023 at 7:21 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Ukraine will run out of cannon fodder before Russia does.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/11/1/russia-pursues-avdiivka-with-meat-assaults-in-a-replay-of-bakhmut

Retired Ukrainian Colonel Petro Chernyk said Russia could potentially call on up to 3 million former conscripts trained in basic combat and, despite the fact that Ukraine has “destroyed” about 25,000 Russian soldiers a month, these were always immediately replaced.

In reality, the Ukraine will more like run out of ammunition as their supply line is much longer than the Russian supply line.

Also the GOP in the USA is blocking funds for the Ukraine, Not that they care about soldiers dying anyway, as long as they are not US soldiers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68338550

Avdiivka: Russia accused of executing prisoners of war after Ukraine withdraws

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68338550

Avdiivka: Russia accused of executing prisoners of war after Ukraine withdraws

While it is wrong on any level, by any side, such happens in every war ( which is not excusing it ), and I'm sure it happens on both sides, though western media is unlikely to report on such on the Ukrainian side.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2023 at 3:33 PM, tgw said:

Regarding my first post in this thread, it seems that Ukrainian defences are holding for the moment.

The situation is reminiscent of Bakhmut, with the difference that Avdiivka has benefited from years of fortification work, since 2014.

I wonder if the Ukrainians aren't holding back some firepower, just enough to make the Ruzzians believe they could breakthrough if the just throw enough men at it.

I hope that is the case.

Better edit that.  On the way to certain defeat which was obvious from day one.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/18/2024 at 9:06 AM, transam said:

And you would have been on the beach of the UK south coast in 1940 with a plate of welcoming sandwiches for the arrival of Hitlers lot..........No doubt about that............:ermm:

He's served in the armed forces and you ?

• Thanks 1