Avdiivka about to fall ?

tgw

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You are apparently not aware of forum rule 7. My bolding.

7. Do not quote more than three multiple nested quotes. Only quote the person you are replying to, and only quote the relevant section that you are discussing.

Have a nice day.

Do you admire Shakib Al Hasan by any chance?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/67333235

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't have to look at garbage like that any more thanks to the ignore function.

As Betty from Brighton said, "oh no, not another one"😂😂😂. I too believe that sensitive sam has me on "ignore" but it hasn't been confirmed yet. 🥳

• Sad 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, tgw said:

I find it disturbing that people like this can put others on ignore and then continue to post their ignorant drivel without risk of being contradicted by the posters who know the most about the subject at hand.

Dare I ask, are you? He went into radio silence on the Ukraine thread when I dropped a truth bomb, he is offended by the truth.🥴

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

Dare I ask, are you? He went into radio silence on the Ukraine thread when I dropped a truth bomb, he is offended by the truth.🥴

You should rephrase, I don't understand who your post is about

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

As Betty from Brighton said, "oh no, not another one"😂😂😂. I too believe that sensitive sam has me on "ignore" but it hasn't been confirmed yet. 🥳

Perhaps we could form a club and have the occasional 'get together'? I'll bring cake.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, tgw said:

I guess I am, since I don't get replies to my arguments.

Or maybe he's just too overwhelmed by the undeniable truth that he finds it impossible to respond.

It's rather ironic, as he posts in this thread, and I am the threadstarter, but he ignores my posts, lol.

Given that he appears to have a fair few people on 'Ignore', he will probably end up talking to himself. Probably for the best.

• 4 weeks later...

Almost a month later, the situation is now dire in Avdiivka.

Inspite of a losses ratio rumored to be as high as 1 to 10, Ruzzian orcs continue creeping forward. Avdiivka is now 80% encircled.

Regarding my previous interrogations about artillery support for Ukraine, I can only conclude that Ukraine must be low on ammo.

Anyway, it's not good news for Avdiivka.

• Sad 2

On 11/10/2023 at 5:19 AM, tgw said:

I find it disturbing that people like this can put others on ignore and then continue to post their ignorant drivel without risk of being contradicted by the posters who know the most about the subject at hand.

You can still contradict posts by members who have you on ignore. They might not read your post but you can still contradict them. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, asf6 said:

You can still contradict posts by members who have you on ignore. They might not read your post but you can still contradict them. 

I think the poster you quoted is more upset that he knows his attacks won't be seen by the target of his attacks, than being able to contradict them.

If they don't want to be put on ignore they should stop the personal insults, and debate about the topic, not the poster.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/6/2023 at 8:06 PM, RayC said:

Surely the relative casualty rates must be a factor?

Weapons and ammunition are always easier and cheaper to replace that fully qualified and trained soldiers.

It all depends on who decides which is the attrition rate for soldiers. Defenders usually have an advantage of the ground to be fought over, IF they have been there long enough to prepare it.

By preparing it, I mean mining it, spotting artillery fire on specific points, reinforcing strong points, being prepared to fight in buildings that have been destroyed to rubble.

Tanks, AFVs and vehicles have problems moving when streets are blocked and you have no idea what is around the next corner.

If, for example, a tank has its tracks destroyed, it can still be used as an armoured pill box until it runs out of fuel or ammunition and the it simply becomes a very heavy road block, unless it can be recovered, not easy under fire, dragged out of the way and then recovered and repaired.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Avdiivka about to fall ?

I guess we know the answer to that by now.

yup, correct.
even with a severe ammo shortage, Ukrainians are still able to defend Avdiivka.
so Avdiivka doesn't seem about to fall after all.

• Thanks 1

The Pentagon's think tank the  Rand Corporation maps out a potential road to peace. If the US wills it then I can't see it not happening. They always sneak these out with little fanfare to help shape and inform the mainstream narrative. This follows on from another paper back in February that also talked about an armistice. The days of "by any means necessary" have long gone - neither side can win but both can cause enormous suffering on each other. The problem is at 4 times the size and with ammo, material and men running out Ukraine is majorly disadvantaged in an attritional war.

https://www.rand.org/pubs/commentary/2023/12/elements-of-an-eventual-russia-ukraine-armistice-and.html

This guy Zelenskiy's previous advisor is positioning himself for a pole position in a  post-Zelenskiy world. It is doubtful that with Z at the helm, a peace deal could be agreed and it remains to be seen if extreme nationalists will accept anything but continual war. There can be no doubt when the end comes it will be a vicious struggle for power in the post-war world.

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/zelensky-ex-spokesman-russia-president-2796641

But the prospective candidate says that he is challenging Zelensky as a patriot, accusing him of authoritarianism and mismanagement of the war.

“Zelensky tried to create a regime of ‘small-Putinism’,” Arestovych said. “He liked to play the role of hero in parliaments around the world. That time is over now… but he became a hostage of his own propaganda.

“This has become a big problem because he thinks not about the national interest but about his own position.”

The ex-spokesman is not alone in that assessment. Vitali Klitschko, the mayor of Kyiv and former heavyweight boxing champion, recently warned: “At some point we will no longer be any different from Russia, where everything depends on the whim of one man.”

Ukrainian MP Oleksii Goncharenko told i that he agreed. “You shouldn’t forget that Zelensky was an actor and he wants to be the only actor on the stage,” he said.

Critics point to the treatment of General Valery Zaluzhny, the popular commander-in-chief of Ukraine’s armed forces, who gave an interview stating that the war had reached a stalemate. He was slapped down by Zelensky. Members of the president’s party called for his resignation. The general has reportedly been named as a witness in a probe into wartime failures that some analysts have interpreted as a warning.

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Al Jazeera has just reported that Ukraine has given up Adviika to the Russians

That "I told you so" moment is getting closer. If they gave up Adviika which they spent so many lives to protect, it indicates a far more fundamental problem for Zelinsky.

Pity about all the lives lost and destruction on both sides, but IMO it never had to happen, and would not have happened if the US and Britain had kept their noses out of a problem which they didn't have to create.

If, as seems likely, it ends in negotiations, it's going to end in a black eye for Biden and Sunak; Sunak because he's not doing well, and Biden as it's an election year.

That was yesterday, but too soon to provide a link, which is now available, from an American source no less.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/17/world/europe/ukraine-avdiivka-withdraw-despair.html

Avdiivka, Longtime Stronghold for Ukraine, Falls to Russians

With Ukraine’s forces at risk of encirclement, the top military commander ordered a retreat. In startlingly candid accounts, soldiers described disarray and despair.

• Agree 2

Avdivka as a town is about as important as Bakmut strategically.

It is a place of massive losses for the invader army.

As one commentator put it, there's a hundred Avdivkas on the road to Kiev

https://www.voanews.com/a/declassified-us-intelligence-reveals-massive-russian-losses-in-ukraine/7395271.html

The assessment, parts of which were shared with VOA, estimates more than 13,000 Russian forces have been killed or wounded since Moscow launched its October offensive along the Avdiivka-Novopavlivka axis in eastern Ukraine.

200 tanks and 400 other armored vehicles were also claimed to have been lost. 

• Like 2

Has fallen. It had to, the city was the source of most of the shelling in the Donbass and responsible for killing 15000 Russian civilians since 2014. A centre for the nazi elements of Ukraine's armed forces. 

And something heartening for Mr Putin to announce to his nation on the 24th or 25th which is the second anniversary of the war.....but it seems to have been going on much longer. If only the Ukrainians had abided by the Minsk agreements, there would have been no need for war, but French and German leaders told us that the Minsk agreements were negotiated in bad faith and the objective was to buy time to build up Ukraine's military. But in war there are often no winners, and this conflict seems the same. Russia has kept its warm water port in Crimea out of US hands, but NATO is all over Ukraine, so Russia even if it keeps the newly acquired oblasts, hasn't won much; hundreds of thousands have lost their lives or had their lives blighted by the war, what with dead kids on both sides. Time for Ukraine to surrender and save what it has left, kick it lying, idiot President out in Ukraine and replace him with someone sane, and to kick the demented idiot president out of the US and replace him with someone whom is not a warmonger. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

I've just read the discussion which was pretty good until some one started with the insults. Good on you ThaiBeach. You have not been infected with Western Propaganda Disease (WPD) as so many of your detractors have. And I support your judicious use of the ignore function. With so many commenters blinded by WPD and getting their news exclusively from based western sources the ignore function is a necessity. It is refreshing to hear from an informed commenter who is knowledgeable and able to withstand the assault from the WPD sufferers. 

• Haha 1