Is the online test still necessary to renew 5-year drivers license, please?

bamboozled

Great, thanks guys. So it's not like the long test when getting the license the first time (which I'm sure I would have failed if I hadn't watched some tutorials online first...though I'm a good driver)? Also, no appointment necessary? I guess that went out the door with Covid?

There's an online video you need to watch and answer correctly the questions that pop up in the middle of video. No idea about the English one, but Thai ones are quite straight forward, although video is all in Thai, by a man talking the whole time... It's basics, so you should know the answers to those off the top of your head (that is, if you can read Thai to understand what you're being asked). When you're done you're issued certificate which you need to bring with you to DLT.

Then it's appointment (at least at Chatuchak), and coming with health certificate on the day of renewal for the 3 tests mentioned above and if all passed, you get your new license printed after signing some forms and taking a photo.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

If so, could anyone send me a link, please? Also, do I need to schedule an appointment or walk-in is fine (Chiang Mai)? The Land Transport website I found useless for this info.

Much obliged, Bamboozled.

Was the 'online' test ever required to renew ??

No online, or theory test required whenever I have renewed... However, the 'class-room practicals (vision, colour blindness, proximity & reaction tests) plus video are required. 

I'm not sure if an appointment is required any longer (since the end of Covid), rocking up with your documents should be simple enough.

That said - the Video switched to online during Covid, and that may still be the case.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

There's an online video you need to watch and answer correctly the questions that pop up in the middle of video. No idea about the English one, but Thai ones are quite straight forward, although video is all in Thai, by a man talking the whole time... It's basics, so you should know the answers to those off the top of your head (that is, if you can read Thai to understand what you're being asked). When you're done you're issued certificate which you need to bring with you to DLT.

Then it's appointment (at least at Chatuchak), and coming with health certificate on the day of renewal for the 3 tests mentioned above and if all passed, you get your new license printed after signing some forms and taking a photo.

To my chagrin, I cannot read Thai. How long ago was this, Tomaz? Perhaps they scrapped i/I hope they scrapped it!

2 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

To my chagrin, I cannot read Thai. How long ago was this, Tomaz? Perhaps they scrapped i/I hope they scrapped it!

About 6 months back.

In that case, use Google Chrome or Edge Chromium to open the page, and right click into the page, then choose "Translate to English". Translation is good enough to answer correctly. It's a multiple option answer type question, mostly 4 options.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Thanks Poilu! Where can I access this online video?

Download DLT e-Learning app. Everything is there for applying for renewal. You might want also to download DLT Smart Queue if you wish to book a time slot.

• Like 2

I just renewed my 5 year a few weeks ago at the hangdong DLT in cm. I completed the video on the DLTQRlicense app and kept the screenshot of the QR code. They didn’t ask for it when I went in, just the red-yellow-green light test. There were a couple of expats renewing their 5 year as well, same thing, just the traffic light test.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you, everyone. I started the video and might as well finish it for sheets and giggles, at this point. Just got my med certificate at Rajavej. 100 baht. Got two, for moto and car just in case. For 100 baht, no worries either way. No appointments available for 3/4 weeks so will walk in and try my luck.

Novacova, did you just walk in?

2 hours ago, novacova said:

I just renewed my 5 year a few weeks ago at the hangdong DLT in cm. I completed the video on the DLTQRlicense app and kept the screenshot of the QR code. They didn’t ask for it when I went in, just the red-yellow-green light test. There were a couple of expats renewing their 5 year as well, same thing, just the traffic light test.

Nova, did you catch what time it opens, please?

1 hour ago, bamboozled said:

Nova, did you catch what time it opens, please?

The main door opens at 8:00am. The service windows open at 8:30. You can put the envelope with the documents in the basket at the window at 8:00am. They start calling names at 8:30. First come first serve. 

Edited by novacova
  • Like 1

Yes, no appointment needed.

The main door opens at 8:00am. The service windows open at 8:30. You can put the envelope with the documents in the basket at the window at 8:00am. They start calling names at 8:30. First come first serve. 

Awesome, many thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Wife listened to the video on the app in Thai for me, answered the question at each section, passed, then we went to the registry in the morning and did the brake/accelerator test, colour blind test and then press the button test, photo, pay fee and 5 year license provided.

I suppose every registry is different, don't forget the Dr's letter. 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Wife listened to the video on the app in Thai for me, answered the question at each section, passed, then we went to the registry in the morning and did the brake/accelerator test, colour blind test and then press the button test, photo, pay fee and 5 year license provided.

I suppose every registry is different, don't forget the Dr's letter. 

Yep, I got that today thanks!

• Like 1

You use the DLTR online booking system. You have to now watch this video and the questions asked can be in English even though the speaker talks in Thai. (Don't ask.) You are able to select that option. Take the screenshot of the QR code when you have passed this test. Take this to the DLT with your medical certificate and then at the appointed time you go and do the reaction test with the traffic lights and the depth perception test. All good and you will receive your new licence. This is what happened with me at DLT Bang Saphan.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, twizzian said:

You can run the video in all its parts, pt1 make a cup of tea, pt2 take a shower, pt3 water the plants.

then screen shot the results.

There were captions in English. And at some point during the video, a test question will pop up. One must answer it within 3 minutes to continue with the video so careful with that cup of tea.