Lightning strike tragedy: Thai father killed in bed as family watches in horror

snoop1130

Screenshot-2023-10-27-130815.jpg

A family of four experienced a tragedy when a lightning strike hit their home in Wang Chao, Tak province yesterday. The 47 year old father, Jitpol, was struck by lightning while in bed, a fatal strike witnessed by his wife and two daughters.

The family’s home, a wooden structure with a zinc roof, was inspected after the unfortunate lightning strike incident. Inside, investigators found a bed placed on the floor, a shirt belonging to the deceased, and 7 baht in coins. Also found near the bed were three torches.

In recounting the events, 16 year old Kwan Khao and Jitpol’s elder daughter shared that her family, including her mother, herself, and her younger sister, typically slept together under a single mosquito net.

On the morning of the incident, heavy rain accompanied by thunder and a lightning strike triggered her fear of storms, leading her to seek comfort near her father.

Jitpol was responding to his daughter’s request when a bolt of lightning struck him twice. The horrifying event unfolded before the eyes of his family. After the strike, Jitpol collapsed and lay face down on the floor.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Photo: KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 6

Just now, expat_4_life said:

Next time someone says to me "more likely to get struck by lightning" ... going to think of this story.

Never would have thought one could be struck by lightning "inside" their home.

2 years ago, I was reading during a big storm, in my study, one window slightly open. I had a standing fan some 2m from m me.  Suddenly, there was a massive flash, a equally massive bang and the window and fan exploded into pieces. I assume it was a near lightening strike.  I was alarmed, but unhurt.  

• Thumbs Up 2

53 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

Next time someone says to me "more likely to get struck by lightning" ... going to think of this story.

Yeah, people have been struck by lightning while touching metal faucets at the sink in their home when the lightning struck nearby. 

I actually had a similar experience when touching our metal electrical box  inside the house (which was connected to earth with a giant earthing rod) during a lightning storm.

The lightning struck nearby as I touched the metal box and I felt a weak electric shock coming up from the ground to our metal box.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Grounded whilst in bed! no idea of the significance of coins and torches? but hell he was unlucky 🤔 Rip 

7 3 (number of coins and torches)  needed for lottery information.

• Haha 1

Sad and sucks for sure, but where's all the silly "karma" comments nowOr 'his time was up'...or other such nonsenseThe Universe is random, dangerous, hit and miss pure chance. Lightning would have struck regardless whether he was there or not. No matter how "good" or "bad" a person. 

• Confused 1

On 10/27/2023 at 6:35 PM, expat_4_life said:

Unfortunately since you spend the 1/3 of your life sleeping, and assuming you do it in your bed and not at your job  as many of us do.LOL , You spend the highest percentage of time  being in one place and as such you would have the highest probability of being struck by lightning in bed. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Sad and sucks for sure, but where's all the silly "karma" comments nowOr 'his time was up'...or other such nonsenseThe Universe is random, dangerous, hit and miss pure chance. Lightning would have struck regardless whether he was there or not. No matter how "good" or "bad" a person. 

Seems you are the first and so far only person to bring the subject up. Complaining about something that hasn't happened yet.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, dddave said:

Seems you are the first and so far only person to bring the subject up. Complaining about something that hasn't happened yet.

Yep...exactly my point. Thanks for reiterating it. What's yours

Mine is saying how easy and flawed it is to bring up such BS nonsense when convenient and fits their silly narrative of superstition and/or naivety. Total lack of reason and critical thought. However they just never ever spout off when it's the other way around. 

Shouldn't be necessary to draw you a picture of explanation, but regardless...you're welcome. 😆

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, sirineou said:

Unfortunately since you spend the 1/3 of your life sleeping, and assuming you do it in your bed and not at your job  as many of us do.LOL , You spend the highest percentage of time  being in one place and as such you would have the highest probability of being struck by lightning in bed. 

Huh?   1/3 of ones life in bed, therefore 2/3 not in bed, so, no, the lowest proportion of time is spent in bed The highest probability (66.66%) of being struck would be when not in bed!

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Huh?   1/3 of ones life in bed, therefore 2/3 not in bed, so, no, the lowest proportion of time is spent in bed The highest probability (66.66%) of being struck would be when not in bed!

Yes, but unless you're in jail the other 66% of your time is spent in a variety of places. 

20 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Here is a silly karma comment.

There's a man that just killed his 6 yr old son.

Of course actions like that produce serious karma. 

Nothing silly about it. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes but bed is one location and everything else is many many locations. 

3 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Here is a silly karma comment.

There's a man that just killed his 6 yr old son.

Of course actions like that produce serious karma. 

Nothing silly about it. 

Huh...whaaa

OK, you're right. Nothing silly, but rather totally whack-O. Just another of myriad silly copout superstitions. No such thing as karma or divine justice...the universe doesn't care. It's incapable. It's not sentient. 

6 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Huh...whaaa

OK, you're right. Nothing silly, but rather totally whack-O. Just another of myriad silly copout superstitions. No such thing as karma or divine justice...the universe doesn't care. It's incapable. It's not sentient. 

You're stating that as fact, can you prove it? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Huh...whaaa

No the Universe is sentient.

But it's beyond the scope of this forum. 

The topic is Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

You're stating that as fact, can you prove it? 

I'll rephrase...

There's not a shred of evidence for the existence of karma, nor divine justice, nor anything divine or supernatural. So I reject those silly notions based on lack of evidence. They are also illogical and unreasonable, based on what comports with reality and the solutions uncovered by the best method of discovering answers to what is real and true...the scientific process. 👍

57 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

I'll rephrase...

There's not a shred of evidence for the existence of karma, nor divine justice, nor anything divine or supernatural. So I reject those silly notions based on lack of evidence. They are also illogical and unreasonable, based on what comports with reality and the solutions uncovered by the best method of discovering answers to what is real and true...the scientific process. 👍

And there's not a shred of evidence against the existence of karma, nor divine justice, nor anything divine or supernatural. So I reject the silly notion that they do not exist based on lack of evidence. That they do not exist is also illogical and unreasonable, based on what comports with reality and the solutions uncovered by the best method of discovering answers to what is real and true...the scientific process.

We good? 

• Like 1