Air con not turning off?

proton

Mitsu heavy duty 11 years old just cleaned 2 weeks ago. Since then the thermostat is not kicking in and winding the flow down, so you can set 27 degrees but as it keeps going ends up at 18 degrees. Bought new remote but its the same. Is there anyway to check myself without getting anyone in? dont even know where the thermostat is. Apart from that it's OK.

27 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

My universal mantra with anything electric that bugs, mainly previous PC computers, is to pull the plug. Could be a challenge for a inserted aircon or a split,

OP could try cutting the general mains power OFF and then ON  ? Could work if not already tried. ?

Ultimately he'll want to control the tempature. 

Sounds like you'll need the repair the thermostat.  They've got videos on YouTube.  It's definitely not something I'd undertake.

11 years, that's good amount of time.   Luckily a repair wouldn't be to expensive living on Thailand. 

Here's MHI user manual data base to find the part number. 

https://mhiaa.com.au/knowledge-centre/user-manuals/

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Sounds like you'll need the repair the thermostat.  They've got videos on YouTube.  It's definitely not something I'd undertake.

11 years, that's good amount of time.   Luckily a repair wouldn't be to expensive living on Thailand. 

Here's MHI user manual data base to find the part number. 

https://mhiaa.com.au/knowledge-centre/user-manuals/

We had the Misu guys round once, they took one look at it and said- who put that in, it was Powerbuy, too high to the ceiling according to them

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, proton said:

We had the Misu guys round once, they took one look at it and said- who put that in, it was Powerbuy, too high to the ceiling according to them

Interesting.

In our area in Issan there is one nice guy that does practically every air conditioner installation for miles (kilometers). Hotels, Tesco's, residential, etc.

There so cheap.  400 baht for cleaning.

Mitsubishi has come out when we had a problem with one of our systems.  It was under warranty so it was free.  Turned out a snake had crawled into it somehow, weird.    

Mitsubishi Heavy or Mitsubishi have great products and service in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Newer inverter type AC would bring up an error code if there was a problem with the thermostat. I'm guessing you have a standard type. If so upgrade to a new inverter type. You will get your money back in electricity savings. It's not worth spending money on an old type AC. If on the other hand you already have an inverter type can you tell what the model number is?

Edited by TimeMachine
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Newer inverter type AC would bring up an error code if there was a problem with the thermostat. I'm guessing you have a standard type. If so upgrade to a new inverter type. You will get your money back in electricity savings. It's not worth spending money on an old type AC. If on the other hand you already have an inverter type can you tell what the model number is?

Ive had a few inverters, Daikon's.  During the brutal high heat and humidity months they couldn't cope.  

I ended putting in regular Mitsubishi Mr. Slims.  Despite the higher running costs I was happy that we had cool rooms throughout the year.

Of course I had high hopes of saving some money with the inverters but in my case they just couldn't handle the extreme heat and humidity. 

7 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Ive had a few inverters, Daikon's.  During the brutal high heat and humidity months they couldn't cope.  

I ended putting in regular Mitsubishi Mr. Slims.  Despite the higher running costs I was happy that we had cool rooms throughout the year.

Of course I had high hopes of saving some money with the inverters but in my case they just couldn't handle the extreme heat and humidity. 

There shouldn't be any difference between a 9000 btu inverter and a 9000 btu standard. Their cooling capacity should be the same. If the inverter types could not cool I suggest that they were speced incorrectly, faulty batch, low on gas, installed with errors , undersized etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

There shouldn't be any difference between a 9000 btu inverter and a 9000 btu standard. Their cooling capacity should be the same. If the inverter types could not cool I suggest that they were speced incorrectly, faulty batch, low on gas, installed with errors , undersized etc. 

Nope.

Brand new Daikon's

Inverters arent very effecient with high humidity. 

If it works for you great.  In my experience they struggle to meet my comfort requirements during the hot and humid months. 

"a compressor running in short bursts cannot efficiently remove humidity from your home"

https://quality-hc.com/blog/inverter-hvac/#:~:text=May Result in Higher Humidity,remove humidity from your home.

26 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Nope.

Brand new Daikon's

Inverters arent very effecient with high humidity. 

If it works for you great.  In my experience they struggle to meet my comfort requirements during the hot and humid months. 

"a compressor running in short bursts cannot efficiently remove humidity from your home"

https://quality-hc.com/blog/inverter-hvac/#:~:text=May Result in Higher Humidity,remove humidity from your home.

Inverter AC also has dry mode function to efficiently reduce humidity.  There should be no difference.  Inverter AC cannot remove humidity same as non inverter is not something I would trust. But like you say if that's what you experienced I can't understand why. The inverter can run just as hard as a non inverter when it needs to such as in dry mode.

Edited by TimeMachine
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sigmund said:

What about LG ? Is the brand worth for the inverter models ?

My preferences would be for lg or hisense. But it's good to see reviews on internet without being to critical. For every complaint probably 1000 happy with their purchase. I would stay away from Samsung but nowadays all will be similar. As they say, to one's own choose a mobile phone.

7 hours ago, Sigmund said:

What about LG ? Is the brand worth for the inverter models ?

I have 4 LG dual inverters. they work fine. ( 2 years old ).

Only have one complaint.

You can't turn the chime off, or the volume of it up or down. ( maybe someone's knows you can  ?)

it chimes,  when you turn on off, temp up or down, fan speed up or down, set timer.

it's annoying at times, in the bedroom.

I could get it open and cut, the little bugger out or tape it up. maybe one day.

That's the only issue. for me.

Ps, The same remote is used for deferent models, so check that the  model you want has all the features you want.  that are displayed on the remote.

Edited by quake
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

It is quite common for 'recently cleaned' air-cons that then exhibit issues, such as 'turning on on their own' to be due to a trapped cable - there are Thai videos about this on youtube, so the wife tells me.

Worth opening and having a good look with this in mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had the same problem with a 4 or 5 year old Eminent unit, after cleaning.

Would wake up in the morning, aircon never stopping, even some ice in the bedroom unit. 18 degrees in the morning, if not 16 degrees. And the compressor would never stop...

I had to shut down the circuit breaker. Would work ok for some days, then the problem would come back.

The technician eventually had to replace a small electronic control inside the bedroom aircon unit.

Worked fine after.

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

It is quite common for 'recently cleaned' air-cons that then exhibit issues, such as 'turning on on their own' to be due to a trapped cable - there are Thai videos about this on youtube, so the wife tells me.

Worth opening and having a good look with this in mind.

Is that the case if it's some quack company who does the service  ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Do give us some feedback once you resolve the issue. thanks

Tried turning off the breaking did not work, maybe buy new. Was thinking of a Daikin Inverter but having read the comments on here not so sure. Never liked the Mitsu heavy duty as it's noisy.

22 minutes ago, proton said:

Tried turning off the breaking did not work, maybe buy new. Was thinking of a Daikin Inverter but having read the comments on here not so sure. Never liked the Mitsu heavy duty as it's noisy.

Best air con we have is a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. It's installed in the rear stockroom/bedroom of wife's shop. At least 20 years old, never needed attention or been serviced. Would have bought same for house but Mrs has a thing about Samsung products!  

3 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Best air con we have is a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. It's installed in the rear stockroom/bedroom of wife's shop. At least 20 years old, never needed attention or been serviced. Would have bought same for house but Mrs has a thing about Samsung products!  

Samsung is the last make I would get, everyone we know who got them when the houses were knew all broke years ago

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, proton said:

Samsung is the last make I would get, everyone we know who got them when the houses were knew all broke years ago

Everything we have is Samsung! I even have a Samsung laptop, purchased in 2012. Firmware fault in the UEFI. Apparently the fault was rectified in 2013 models. Talk about annoying! 

10 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Inverter AC also has dry mode function to efficiently reduce humidity.  There should be no difference.  Inverter AC cannot remove humidity same as non inverter is not something I would trust. But like you say if that's what you experienced I can't understand why. The inverter can run just as hard as a non inverter when it needs to such as in dry mode.

I'll revisit buying an inverter air-con in the future.  It would certainly be worth it to save on the PEA bills.

What model are you using? 

3 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Everything we have is Samsung! I even have a Samsung laptop, purchased in 2012. Firmware fault in the UEFI. Apparently the fault was rectified in 2013 models. Talk about annoying! 

My 2011 Samsung laptop died in 2014, lasted longer than HP and Acer though!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, proton said:

My 2011 Samsung laptop died in 2014, lasted longer than HP and Acer though!

Wow! That is bad. My 2012 Samsung has been in daily use since then. The UEFI firmware fault took 8 years to appear. It means I can't access the UEFI to change boot order or change GPT to MBR etc. Fortunately, I can do what I need via third-party software such as free DiskGenius and Sergei Strelec's disk. Some customers were totally bricked (locked out) and, I understand, Samsung fitted new motherboards free of charge even outside of the warranty period. I also have two Acer's (2009 and 2011) which work perfectly but only occasionally use them.