Thai to UK visitor visa sponser

Hey,

I'm just hoping for a little advice specifically on the accommodation aspect when I sponser my Thai gf to visit.

We will be staying at my parents address (where I live when in the UK). As the tenancy is in their name I'm curious as to what evidence I provide.

Would a letter from my parents and their tenancy agreement be enough? I'm curious if I need to demonstrate that I stay here or if that's irrelevant.

Thanks so much for the help.

Kindest regards,

Your parents should write a letter advising that you’ll both be staying with them for the duration of your stay, and describing the accommodation available to you both along with a brief description of the property.

If you’re providing financial support you’ll need to provide evidence of affordability and that it’s reasonable for you to do so.

As always the most important part of her application is being able to convince the decision maker that she will leave the UK at the conclusion of her proposed trip.

• Thumbs Up 1

On the checklist of documents to provide in support of a visit visa application, if you've indicated you'll be staying with family or friends you will find the following listed among "Other documents."

As you are visiting family or friends:

Invitation from your UK based family or friend(s) and evidence of their permission to be in the UK

So whenever I go to the UK with my Thai wife to stay at my parents' address, I just get one of them to write a letter of invitation stating that they are happy to have us staying at their house and stating how many total and spare bedrooms they have. 

There's no mention of having to provide proof of a tenancy agreement or of house ownership and we've never provided that.

For evidence of "permission to be in the UK", either a copy of passport or birth certificate are considered acceptable.

On 10/31/2023 at 9:35 AM, RichardColeman said:

Probably too nosey, but how on earth can you have future with a Thai g/f when you're living at home with mum and dad , hardly bodes well if you ever want to move her to the UK.

Might find immigration more interested that she has a reason for return - ie her work.

True and for that reason her job title , income and her companies standing and willingness to endorse her return to work could be important  . As for self employed , it becomes more difficult without an employer endorsement , as was the case with my lady  who owns her own restaurant and house and supported her parents . Me with a 7 bedroom house , money in the bank , proof of our 7 year relationship, plus a reference / guarantee from my police officer son that she would return to Thailand at the end of her visit to the UK  . Outcome was a refusal for the tourist visa with a statement that there was doubt that she would return to Thailand . That is all they would say and that left me bewildered and puzzled . Not bother again .

9 hours ago, PaoloR said:

Just book a hotel on one of the websites where you do not have to pay up front. Cancel as soon as you have the visa - easy you just give them a copy of the booking, there is no follow up.

Proof of a hotel booking isn’t required, or taken into consideration if supplied, when applying for a Standard Visit Visa for the UK.

Hey - thanks for the replies and the much-appreciated advice! It's correct that we are just staying with my parents whilst we're in the UK (not my perm address if that makes a difference).

We're now gathering all required documents. could I check that it's best to apply on gov.uk right away? From my understanding all documents are not required until the appointment when biometrics are taken? (But we can upload as soon as possible also). But this way we secure an appointment date.

Documents preparing;

- Her work agreeing to her time off for UK visit.

- Her University also agreeing.

- Her bank statements

- My letter sponsering her

- My parents invitation for us to stay there

- My bank statement and work payslips.

- 2020-now transferwise statements showing support

- my Thai visas since 2020

- Photos together since then (Including recent trip where my sister came to Bangkok to meet her)

Not sure if i'm missing any vital document there.

Thanks again for all the advice ☺️

Most of your supporting evidence is ok, especially her ties to her home country which can go a long to satisfying the decision maker that she’s likely to return home at the conclusion of her visit, she might want include the details of her accommodation in Thailand.

You have mentioned sending money to support her, does she not earn enough to support herself? 
You mention Thai Visas, what is your Immigration status, a regular visitor or working in Thailand?

You have mentioned photos, they are specifically excluded from the supporting evidence allowed.

Hey,

She earns enough to support herself - however her pay is in the form of salary + commision. The commision often exceeds the month salary. However, as commison is not guarenteed I believe we can't factor this in so we've just put her basic pay as her 'income' (her employers letter agreeing to time off mentions her pay rate +Commision).

That does make her income seem lower than it is - and her outgoings seem high. However I chose to cover these outgoings and have been since 2020 (rent, household bills etc) and have proof of that as WISE statements.

Would we adjust her outgoings total as I cover this? Or leave it as it is - but explain this in my sponsership letter.

Thank you for your time and help.