Required days before marriage extension renewal

I have my first 12 month marriage renewal coming up on Dec 9th (Chiang Mai). How many days in advance do I need to submit my renewal? The first time it took at least 30 days but I believe the renewal will be faster because they already did the interview and other things which I don't think they repeat every year.

Most offices allow you to submit up to 30 days in advance, we usually go about 3 weeks early in case they come up with some new requirement.

Once they have done their stuff at the office you get a 30 day "under consideration" stamp.

During those 30 days you may or may not get a visit from the immigration chaps (depends upon the office, our office wants a visit every year).

Verify with your office exactly what they need by way of documentation.

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Most offices allow you to submit up to 30 days in advance, we usually go about 3 weeks early in case they come up with some new requirement.

Oh I thought the under consideration thing was just the first time. 3 weeks sounds comfortable so I'll go Nov 13-14 I think.

The plan was to submit the same documents as we did originally, if we can remember what they were! so many things so we should have made a list and kept it in a file.

Thanks!

54 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Oh I thought the under consideration thing was just the first time. 3 weeks sounds comfortable so I'll go Nov 13-14 I think.

Nope.  30 day "under consideration" is every time. It's a rather Byzantine system of bureaucracy that extols the value of multiple copies of the exact same paperwork, year after year after year after year after year after year........

You'd think that in order to spare their own system the excesses of bureaucratic overkill that after, say, 10 years of marriage they'd streamline the process.  Nope.  Duplicate copies of the same freaking paperwork over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.....

Regarding the "under consideration" though.  That's just the amount of time they give themselves to have the duplicate paperwork shoveled into the gaping maw of the central immigration office so they can compare it to the last 15 copies they have on file. 
It's just part of the Dance Of The Immigration Bureaucrats.

I'll be married 16 years this year.  Haven't left Thailand in 14 years.  But?  Next extension it's the same paperwork, in duplicate, which will be scoured with the same bureaucratic diligence to make sure that my wife and I are "really married" and not "gaming the system."  Maybe at my 20th extension after 20 years of marriage they'll send an Immigration crew out to make sure the neighbors can verify that we are still living together and a married couple.  But like you (and everyone else doing this annual dance with immigration?)  It will end with a 30 days "under consideration" followed by a trip to immigration to have your passport stamped. 

Look up "Einstein's definition of insanity" on Google Search. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

Nope.  30 day "under consideration" is every time. It's a rather Byzantine system of bureaucracy that extols the value of multiple copies of the exact same paperwork, year after year after year after year after year after year........

A+ rant.

I'm convinced it's just a government make-work program. No company that actually cared about profits would throw away money doing pointless things like verifying the same hand signed duplicates of papers every year.

• Love It 1

50 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Can apply 45 days early at Chiang Mai immigration.

Thanks we should have planned for this week then. We could do it this week if we rushed or in 2 weeks because the week of the 6th - 12th I won't be in the city. If 3 weeks is safe then that's good too. We just want to be safely in the window in case we need to get some papers and come back a couple days later.

2 hours ago, connda said:

To be fair, it is not exactly the same each year. Many offices will find it necessary to tell you to provide something never needed before. Further, using the same photographs as before is not permitted. They need evidence that your house number, bedroom etc. still exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

A+ rant.

I'm convinced it's just a government make-work program. No company that actually cared about profits would throw away money doing pointless things like verifying the same hand signed duplicates of papers every year.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
Pure satire.  I'm way past the rant stage.  Been there, done that.