Fun at Jomtiem immigration

pomchop

9 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

Your first time there? Pretty standard based on my experiences and what I've read on here and other places.

There was a time when if your documents were in and checked by 11.00 you would be told to come back after 14.00 for your passport. I would have thought that after acceptance and checking all it needs is the boss's signature and the passport stamped. I think you have to collect it personally and they take your photo. Ah well.

21 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

There was a time when if your documents were in and checked by 11.00 you would be told to come back after 14.00 for your passport. I would have thought that after acceptance and checking all it needs is the boss's signature and the passport stamped. I think you have to collect it personally and they take your photo. Ah well.

They take your photo at the outset; you just return with your numbered card.

When provided with a frustrating experience do any 9f you pass on a friendly anonymous email to the immigration minister just to let them know. After receiving a few it may lead to something. Not likely, but if you don't then 100pc not likely Instead of 99.9pc not likely.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

When provided with a frustrating experience do any 9f you pass on a friendly anonymous email to the immigration minister just to let them know. After receiving a few it may lead to something. Not likely, but if you don't then 100pc not likely Instead of 99.9pc not likely.

Is there such a thing as an Immigration Minister?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Thats another reason why many use Agents.

2x2 minutes at agent office.

Done.

Cost 200-400 bath, depends of what agent etc.

There are agents just to do 30 day Tourist visa extensions?  For the 1900 fee and 3-400 baht more? 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

There are agents just to do 30 day Tourist visa extensions?  For the 1900 fee and 3-400 baht more? 

I have no info on pricing.....But Common sense says a simple thing like a 30 day extension should cost no more than 1000 to 1500 baht absolute max for an agent.......They used to do the 30-day extensions right then and there when your number was called in the past....

Edited by redwood1

16 hours ago, bbi1 said:

I'm also interested in knowing which agents do 30 day extensions for 200-400 baht and only needing to spend 2x2 minutes at their offices. Please let us all know which ones they are as there seems to be a lot of interest, based on your claims.

As normal, talk is cheap. 

• Like 1

People often ask opinions about moving in a particular area. 

It has never occured to me before but now, I guess ne question that I will have would be " how is the immigration office there" 

Here in Khon Kaen we are blessed  with a very profesional IO that seems to be geared toward helping expedite issues. At least that has been my experience so far. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, champers said:

The guy that signs had an extended lunch break / was meeting his girlfriend / took his wife shopping.

Whilst I love the sarcasm, you may not be far from the truth. Before Covid is used to take around 15-20 minutes for a 30 day extension, depending on how many people were waiting! As soon as you paid the cash, 1900, the woman updated the computer data base and stamped the passport!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pomchop said:

Granted I have never done a 30 day extension but its standard at Jomtien for a retirement extension. As an aside I always wonder why people go to immigration so early in the day. You gain absolutely nothing as many other people have the same idea. I have always gone about 09.30 no queues minimal waiting same deal, come back later to collect.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

They take your photo at the outset; you just return with your numbered card.

Not yesterday...after i paid the 1900 thb she gave me another numbered ticket and i had to hold it in front of me and she took pic of me holding the ticket...of course she could have just stamped my passport which she had in her hand and we would have been done..Or maybe someone could have said if you want you can come back today at 430 or tomorow to pick it up...but NO...go sit and wait for 45 more minutes and then the guy says come back later....

anyway...did go back this a.m at 830 and got passport no more dramas....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimn said:

Granted I have never done a 30 day extension but its standard at Jomtien for a retirement extension. As an aside I always wonder why people go to immigration so early in the day. You gain absolutely nothing as many other people have the same idea. I have always gone about 09.30 no queues minimal waiting same deal, come back later to collect.

good for you but not my experience....and i would have been happy to come back later if only someone had told me and others that was an option...but no we were all told to go sit and wait and after 45 mins then the guy comes out and says come back later so another 45 mins (for me longer for some others) of waiting that could have been avoided IF someone had so advised.

1 minute ago, pomchop said:

good for you but not my experience....and i would have been happy to come back later if only someone had told me and others that was an option...but no we were all told to go sit and wait and after 45 mins then the guy comes out and says come back later so another 45 mins (for me longer for some others) of waiting that could have been avoided IF someone had so advised.

So you had a wasted morning, what else did you expect? In and out in 5 mins? My last visit to Jomtien was a few weeks ago. I turned up at 09.45 to get my extension stamp transferred to my new passport. I was out of there by 10.00. Picked up my passport the next day. Easy

Advise:

- no. 1 go there after lunch

- no. 2 go there when it's raining (by car or taxi)

- no. 3 make a visarun fly to Laos or Cambodia (roundtrip airfare not much different from extension price)

- no. 4 go to immigration ban Chang instead if you are from outside the area as it is almost empty all the time

2 hours ago, nickmondo said:

i have lived all over Thailand, Jomtien by far the worst IO office i have ever experienced

I haven't travelled a lot but they do seem to be a puzzle wrapped in a riddle. I've experienced an officer rudely tell me to go back to my own country, unfair fines, anger and welcomed by a sexy Santa  skimpy costumed transgender person working as something or other there....wait....strike that. 

7 minutes ago, jimn said:

So you had a wasted morning, what else did you expect? In and out in 5 mins? My last visit to Jomtien was a few weeks ago. I turned up at 09.45 to get my extension stamp transferred to my new passport. I was out of there by 10.00. Picked up my passport the next day. Easy

yes not all that bad for me as i am staying nearby...not so much fun for others who are not staying in jomtien and had to either sit and wait all day or leave and come back next day or rent hotel or ??

IF they had just put the stamp in my passport when i paid them i would have been gone by 10 am....but NO go sit and wait another 45 mins + and THEN tell everyone come back tomorrow....

.extension stamp transfer and extension of visa are not the same thing....as said good for you having quick service...all i have done is said here is what i and dozens of others experienced yesterday.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, jimn said:

Maybe because it's not like that all over the country. Some Immigration offices are worse than others.

Seems like more of a thing in places where there are a lot of foreigners about (except Bangkok, maybe - at least in my experience).

Three other provinces I had to deal with immigration were a breeze, basically.

In one, they had (hopefully still have) a officer/trainee to do the paperwork for applicants, even

6 minutes ago, kaneko86 said:

- no. 4 go to immigration ban Chang instead if you are from outside the area as it is almost empty all the time

There is no office in Banchang, the nearest is on the Maptaphut Industrial Estate. It does get crowded sometimes, and you can get held up by agents presenting bulk applications on behalf of company staff. I prefer to go there in the afternoon, but a retirement extension is dealt with on the spot, there's no "come back tomorrow".

• Like 1

Another thing, when someone says come back at 8:30am tomorrow I don't think it means you need to be there at 8:30am. It's just ready st 8:30am. You could come in the afternoon if you like sleeping in??

*The person is just in a rush, or does not know how to explain pick up anytime tomorrow in english.

18 hours ago, pomchop said:

I remember last year that after paying the 1900 baht i was given yet another number and told to wait for passport....but the wait then was maybe 20 minutes....it is absurdly obvious that by the time u get to the pay money stage that all your docs and copies have been gone over 3 or 4 times already so stamp the damn visa in there give me my passport and be done with it.  But NO.  Go wait some more.

Talking to several other guys there and we decided the reason they do this is to make it as inconvenient as possible to encourage more use of agents to increase the bribe $$ they receive from various agents....not sure but if that is the goal but they sure have figured out how to make it all a total clusterfxxk....

I've been saying that for years.They want you to use an agent.It's easy $ for them.Cash deal.When you do it by the book its more difficult to skim. I did my own for many years until 1 time after yet another run around I switched to using an agent.FYI I compared both signatures and they are identical?

20 hours ago, proton said:

Disgraceful parasites 

I would agree with you if that was true. All I've heard and read about Manareet has been very positive. so positive that I intend to use them shortly for my retirement

extensions, but this is making me think again. I would be interested in any other posters views on this. If anyone is worried about the defamation law, send me a PM.