Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Well water to the tap inside house

jumbo

On 11/4/2023 at 3:35 PM, khunPer said:

Will be be:

Well water to pump

> pump to filter(s), you might need more than one

> filters to storage tank

> storege tank to pressure-pump for tap water, if storage tank is not in a tower

> pressure pump to 5 micron dirt filer, before the house pipes

Preferably, have the water tested, so you know which filer or filters to use. If you have a high water consumption you will need large filters, which could be sandfilter, carbon filter and post-carbon filter. If your water consumption is moderate to low, you might be able to use small filter cartridges, which need weekly and/or monthly change; for example 5 micron cartridge for dirt, carbon cartridge for taste and smell, post carbon filter that could also be a 5 micron cartridge, and finally preferably a 0.5 micron ceramic cartridge. The 5 micron cartridges can be easily viewable in clear container, when the get dirty, it's time to change. The ceramic filter might last for several months.

Example of smaller filter cartridges, in the back a clear filter housing:

image.jpeg.93843a904bc42700cdabf95c935f9f2e.jpeg

Be aware that a storage tank can built up algae, so you should have a 5 small micron filter in a clear container between the pressure pump and the house pipes; change filter when it get dirty.

I have a storage tank on the attic, where the water if filtered before it reach the tank. In the tank is a small circulation pump – which operaates some 4 hours in 24-hours – that filers the circulated through a 5 micron cartridge, then through an UV-lamp (kills all bacteria), and finally mix the water with air – like an aquarium pump – to keep it fresh; the latter works like a small scale water aeration in a water work.

I was thinking the filter should go after the pump as you have suggested. I was thinking of putting a filter on my washing machine as I often get red water. Was going to run from government water(underground)to tank. Tank to pump. Pump to filter. Filter to washing machine. 

It's a choice, but putting the filter after your pump you need to take in account the pressure your filter can handle

And the volume, showering while doing laundry and the wife is spraying the lawn and daughter does the dishes  :happy:

10 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

I was thinking the filter should go after the pump as you have suggested. I was thinking of putting a filter on my washing machine as I often get red water. Was going to run from government water(underground)to tank. Tank to pump. Pump to filter. Filter to washing machine. 

The location of the filter is very dependent on the size and type of the filter.

For a large area sand filter to be effective it needs to be relatively slow per square cm and gravity feed type so before the pump

For a cartridge filter, they are designed for a higher per square cm throughput so should be a pressure feed unit so after a pump

The reasoning is that pumps have a weak suck but high push.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

That would, to my knowledge, be the normal correct way to do it. You need the pressure from the pump to get the water through a fine filter that can remove small particles, there might not be enough pressure on the government water supply to do that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

That would, to my knowledge, be the normal correct way to do it. You need the pressure from the pump to get the water through a fine filter that can remove small particles, there might not be enough pressure on the government water supply to do that.

Most filters cannot handle the pressure of the water pump, you really need to make sure of that, if not, there is no cleansing

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jumbo said:

Most filters cannot handle the pressure of the water pump, you really need to make sure of that, if not, there is no cleansing

You are totally incorrect. The vast majority of filter housings are designed to be under pumped pressure, however if your filter is sufficiently blocked with debris it will either bypass or provide insufficient flow.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/4/2023 at 5:53 PM, The Cyclist said:

I usually have a choice of 3 other systems for drinking, Lotus, Makro or Big C 😂😂

And you have no questions about how the various "brands " of water sold at nominated outlets get filtered? Do you check their use by date?

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are totally incorrect. The vast majority of filter housings are designed to be under pumped pressure, however if your filter is sufficiently blocked with debris it will either bypass or provide insufficient flow.

I did not say ALL as neither do you...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

Where have your learned that?

By visiting a shop that sells filters and looking at the input and output of said filters on the internet

Of  course I could be wrong in that all filters can handle the pressure of our 550 watt water pump

4 hours ago, jumbo said:

By visiting a shop that sells filters and looking at the input and output of said filters on the internet

Of  course I could be wrong in that all filters can handle the pressure of our 550 watt water pump

Does your pump not have an adjustable pressure switch on it?

All my filter housings are unstressed at three bar and these filter housings are common as muck.

As far as I am aware filters are good for about 5 bar

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Does your pump not have an adjustable pressure switch on it?

All my filter housings are unstressed at three bar and these filter housings are common as muck.

As far as I am aware filters are good for about 5 bar

I pump water from a well, so no need to put a pump between that and the filter, that is if you want the water to be filtered before it hits the tank and that is common sense and advised by installers/sellers. But maybe you see that different.

From the tank it goes to my pump and then into the house , and yes there is a switch/valve there to adjust the pressure down if needed

So given the above, what would be your set up? 

Edited by jumbo
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 2:02 PM, jumbo said:

Any advise or comments??

If the tank is for drinking water you need a filter after the tank as well, or only after the tank. If the tank is for washing as well, have a dedicated tap with a filter and not necessarily before the tank, though it wouldn't hurt to have both.

2 hours ago, jumbo said:

I pump water from a well, so no need to put a pump between that and the filter, that is if you want the water to be filtered before it hits the tank and that is common sense and advised by installers/sellers. But maybe you see that different.

From the tank it goes to my pump and then into the house , and yes there is a switch/valve there to adjust the pressure down if needed

So given the above, what would be your set up? 

My setup is pretty much the same as yours I think.

I use a 370W pump to draw water from a surface well with max depth of 5.5 metres.

The water goes through 2 carbon filters an then through a resin filter. Those are the big ones at about 1.5 metres tall. Then there are 2 x 20" pp filters of 5 and 1 microns before the 2 cubic metre storage tank.

Not much in the way of pressure to be concerned about. The pressure comes after the storage tank from a Mitsubishi 370W supply pump which gives about 3 bar pressure to the house hot and cold water systems. (I have a flat panel solar heater with 200L storage tank).

I feed the pressurised water to an RO drinking water assembly which has some 10" carbon and pp pre-filters.

Happy to answer any more questions

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If the tank is for drinking water you need a filter after the tank as well, or only after the tank. If the tank is for washing as well, have a dedicated tap with a filter and not necessarily before the tank, though it wouldn't hurt to have both.

Yes, we have a descaler (?) and and RO system for consumption

19 hours ago, jumbo said:

I've always heard the opposite. Normal (small) water pumps for a house have a water pressure around 12-20 meters, which is not a lot of pressure. Having a fine filter in front might limit the water intake for the pump. while you might have some kind of grille, depending of where you pumps the water from.

15 hours ago, khunPer said:

I've always heard the opposite. Normal (small) water pumps for a house have a water pressure around 12-20 meters, which is not a lot of pressure. Having a fine filter in front might limit the water intake for the pump. while you might have some kind of grille, depending of where you pumps the water from.

I move the water from the well through filter(s) to the tanks... that solves the issue..