Heartbreaking incident in Chai Nat as bystanders laugh and watch woman drown

webfact

1 hour ago, koele2 said:

I was once at a house get together for kids both Thai and farang with a pool.  All the kids were excited to go swimming.  One little Thai girl jumped in without any floaties and just started sinking.  None of the other adults were paying attention.  I couldn’t reach her so I had to jump in with my clothes on, phone, keys, to save her.  I got out soaking wet, stuff ruined, but saved the little girl from definite drowning.  One of the Thai fathers looked at me like I was disgusting since I was soaking wet.  Like I was embarrassing myself.  I’ll never forget that look on his face.  And he knew I just saved the kid from drowning.  

Good for you and I always the respect the guys that react so quickly in scary situations  Do you think this was a Thai thing or just a human being a fool. 

For the life of me, I don't sense Thais are ethically any different than westerners. I've been here decades so it is not a newbie viewpoint  Obviously there is more corruption and  I don't know how that plays into ethics for the society as a whole.  Also, Thai hustlers in tourist town are a product of their environment and don't reflect the average Thai's ethics. 

Done rambling and off to hug some random Thais...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, koele2 said:

I was once at a house get together for kids both Thai and farang with a pool.  All the kids were excited to go swimming.  One little Thai girl jumped in without any floaties and just started sinking.  None of the other adults were paying attention.  I couldn’t reach her so I had to jump in with my clothes on, phone, keys, to save her.  I got out soaking wet, stuff ruined, but saved the little girl from definite drowning.  One of the Thai fathers looked at me like I was disgusting since I was soaking wet.  Like I was embarrassing myself.  I’ll never forget that look on his face.  And he knew I just saved the kid from drowning.  

Face is the operative word, isn't it. A farang had taken action while - in the Thai view - making the father lose face. The fact that it was a farang and not a fellow Thai only accentuated the situation and trumped any feeling of gratitude. You were the bad guy for making the locals lose face.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, mfd101 said:

I have heard it said that Thais laugh in such situations because they don't know what to do.

Combine that with Buddhist pacifism and here's the result ...

Not helping someone in mortal danger is not pacifism(neither is it Buddhism  which advocates selfless loving kindness).Pacifism means not using violence under any circumstances ,not even to defend yourself. 

36 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Good for you and I always the respect the guys that react so quickly in scary situations  Do you think this was a Thai thing or just a human being a fool. 

For the life of me, I don't sense Thais are ethically any different than westerners. I've been here decades so it is not a newbie viewpoint  Obviously there is more corruption and  I don't know how that plays into ethics for the society as a whole.  Also, Thai hustlers in tourist town are a product of their environment and don't reflect the average Thai's ethics. 

Done rambling and off to hug some random Thais...

Might be a Thai thing, of course not all of them, but I would say maybe more than you would like.  It was like a disdain for my appearance.  Like that is more important than a kids life, because now I look ridiculous with all the wet clothes.  It was not a look of relief on his face.  It wasn’t his kid, it was someone else’s.  Made me realize what a certain segment of the population places their values.  Sad really.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Face is the operative word, isn't it. A farang had taken action while - in the Thai view - making the father lose face. The fact that it was a farang and not a fellow Thai only accentuated the situation and trumped any feeling of gratitude. You were the bad guy for making the locals lose face.

Humans have thought up some of the dumbest social concepts to exist within that then get applied en masse, even using violence to make it stick. 

A flawed and gullible breed.

Edited by fondue zoo

My pals dog has gone blind and is yelping every five minutes saying "oh <deleted> I can't see" all day. So my pal took to the vet in Chalong and asked if it is time to "put the 15yo dog down coz suffering" the reply from the Vet was "no we don't kill here we are Buddhist". 

Was she taking the piss and wanted $$ for longer,  or is that true? If they choose life over suffering, I'm out.

IH

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Datsun 1200 said:

My pals dog has gone blind and is yelping every five minutes saying "oh <deleted> I can't see" all day. So my pal took to the vet in Chalong and asked if it is time to "put the 15yo dog down coz suffering" the reply from the Vet was "no we don't kill here we are Buddhist". 

Was she taking the piss and wanted $$ for longer,  or is that true? If they choose life over suffering, I'm out.

IH

The vet thing is simply mind-boggling for a society that 'supposedly' cares so much for living things...  the juxtaposition between the 'face' and reality when it comes to treatment of animals here is worthy of study !

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Surasak said:

The answer to your last question is, Buddha.

So let me get this straight you're saying Buddha is their parents, and Buddha raised these people? Where does effective parenting come into the formula?

You can blame religion all you want but you have to apply it to every religion all over the world. There are retrograde Christians, Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, Jews and people of all other faiths. 

Just because somebody calls themselves a member of a specific faith does that mean that they are spiritual on any level whatsoever, it's just a concept that they were born into, whether they embrace it or not, and practice the precepts, is on them. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Recently I came across a motor bike accident so many Thais standing around doing nothing but taking videos within 10 minutes they were posted on social media there wasn’t a lot I could do accept give assistance whist waiting for the emergency services to me it’s human nature to go to the assistance of someone in distress sadly that’s doesn’t seem to be always the case in Thailand 

I tried to assist a young woman who had been knocked off her bike in Bangkok ,I have a St John's first aid certificate  ,I was told not to help,or touch her, they said If anything happens, and she dies I will get the blame, she looked to me to have stopped breathing and possibly resuscitation may have saved her, every one just stood and stared at her, sad.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

If there is a real Karma, let it loose on those present, and see who laughs last.

If karma is real, then did the drowning victim get what she deserved?

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1