Heartbreaking incident in Chai Nat as bystanders laugh and watch woman drown

webfact

18 hours ago, Dickie Dee said:

People are the same everywhere. You would have done nothing yourself…

Correct. I would have done nothing. 

Including not filming the "event" and I not LOLing about it.

What a dolt.

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

So let me get this straight you're saying Buddha is their parents, and Buddha raised these people? Where does effective parenting come into the formula?

You can blame religion all you want but you have to apply it to every religion all over the world. There are retrograde Christians, Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, Jews and people of all other faiths. 

Just because somebody calls themselves a member of a specific faith does that mean that they are spiritual on any level whatsoever, it's just a concept that they were born into, whether they embrace it or not, and practice the precepts, is on them. 

In so many cases, effective parenting doesn't come into the formula unfortunately. And more especially in the rural areas of Thailand. Buddha rules these peoples lives in so many ways when most have to consult with a monk before taking any kind of meaningful decision. The reason being, they are not taught to think, only what to think. Hence they consult with the monks on any, to them, major decision in their life.

It all come down to control, which starts at the top. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, kcpattaya said:

They call this mass psychosis...
Nobody dares to jump first.
Can happen everywhere.  

There is something that's sometimes bystander syndrome where a person is less likely to help if there are others around. I'm not sure that covers the laughing, comments and filming though.

• Like 2

Section 374. Refusal to Render Assistance

"Whoever sees any person in life danger, in spite of the ability to assist without fear of danger to oneself or the another person, refuses to render assistance shall be liable to imprisonment for not more than one month, or a fine not exceeding one thousand baht or both."

https://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/criminal-code-misdemeanors-sections-367-374/

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 4:16 PM, nchuckle said:

The only counter to this is if you're not a good swimmer you are in significant danger trying to rescue a panicking drowning person. You should try to help if possible from the shore. I say this as a BSAC trained diver . I would have gone in despite advanced years as I would know what to do (grab her in something of a chokehold from behind) and I  am a strong swimmer. The average Thais swimming ability - not so much...

Seemingly there is another dimension to this in that the 32 year old was on medication for illness - not a excuse but part of the group reaction to the event.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

I tried to assist a young woman who had been knocked off her bike in Bangkok ,I have a St John's first aid certificate  ,I was told not to help,or touch her, they said If anything happens, and she dies I will get the blame, she looked to me to have stopped breathing and possibly resuscitation may have saved her, every one just stood and stared at her, sad.

And that is how you know that society is somehow upside down, when you can't save somebody for fear of blame. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

In some ways it's good, other ways not. Same as visiting any unfamiliar country, I guess. What I find hard to deal with is the total absence of any common sense though.

Common sense and reason both. I once spoke to a Thai who spoke good English, and I asked him about that, and he said we have common sense and reason but we have Thai common sense and we have Thai reason and you would not recognize what that is. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, OldBird said:

If you are as helpful as you say you are then you are the exception and not the rule in SF.

It depends on the situation. People are always hesitant to help in a situation that might endanger them personally. If a car skids off a road and crashes into a tree, other motorists will immediately stop and render their assistance to those individuals in the crashed vehicle. On the other hand, if a criminal is physically assaulting someone, then very few people anywhere will help. But that is to be expected in a society that feminizes men and considers masculinity to be toxic. In my own case, I have intervened on behalf of my fellow citizens who were being victimized by criminals many times.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/2/2023 at 9:43 AM, Charlest1971 said:

That is an absolutely disgusting response from the little girl’s father. In most cultures, with an ounce of humanity, your courageous act would have been met with applause & gratitude. 
It seems that this thread stands testament to the fact that Thai culture is embedded with sadism and a propensity to enjoy other people’s suffering. 
I am appalled by this behaviour and will think long and hard about ever visiting Thailand. 

Yep should have waited a bit then tripped the kid back into the pool. Walked over and tapped the dad on the shoulder, "Your daughter's drowning"! Then walk away.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 3:20 PM, Celsius said:

Correct. I would have done nothing. 

Including not filming the "event" and I not LOLing about it.

What a dolt.

Then you are as much of an <deleted> as those that stood by and watched someone die

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/3/2023 at 11:18 PM, spidermike007 said:

Common sense and reason both. I once spoke to a Thai who spoke good English, and I asked him about that, and he said we have common sense and reason but we have Thai common sense and we have Thai reason and you would not recognize what that is. 

Sure I'm going to get trashed here for not being 100% into bashing Thais but oh well.  I seem to be a magnet for accidents and have been in many in the USA and Thailand.  Never claimed to be the brightest tool in the shed plus I was a cyclist which puts you at great risk here more so than America.

I really don't think there is much of a difference in wanting to help.  In reality most don't know how to address the situation but with luck at least one person figures out the correct response.  In America there is much more focus on teaching people how to respond which increases your odds of surviving but very little is done here to prepare individuals but they do get the benefit of witnessing more tragic situations.

I'm not saying all Thais act appropriately and have also witnessed strange behavior.  A drunk hit me head-on and I escaped with broken ribs and a collarbone.  The drunks head was a mess with blood coming out of his ears.  Nothing was done to help him.  Strange but things like this happen in every country.  In another worse accident, A Thai lady at 11pm found me in a ditch after seeing my shattered helmet on the side of the road.  I have the GPS showing I had been there for 4 hours( I think). 

As for a drunk lady that was swimming in a canal, from the poorly written article it is hard to determine what went down.  Where is the video? Many are making some big assumptions. Sad for her and the family.

when you are upbringing in an uneducated environment, your thought and thinking is muddy, you don't have a basic understanding of what is right and wrong and these girls' moral has not developed enough to know it is wrong. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...