Potential slump for Thai stock market due to digital wallet scheme delay

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Thai stock market is facing a potential slump this month, following a 6.1% drop in October and a 17.2% decline year-to-date, due to potential delays to a significant digital wallet scheme and a slower-than-anticipated recovery in the tourism sector

Gotta blame something I suppose.. Covid has long gone so now the Digital wallet if the fall-guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Gotta blame something I suppose.. Covid has long gone so now the Digital wallet if the fall-guy.

Yes, blaming covid, like blaming past Presidents, can only work for so long. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

I have a hard time believing the digital wallet has any meaningful effect on the whole stock market.

Perhaps the impact/ political fallout is indirectly pushing the market down.... the debacle is shedding a poor light on the government. 

7 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I have a hard time believing the digital wallet has any meaningful effect on the whole stock market. The SET is now at 1994 levels... combine that with inflation and the Thai stock market has lost significant value over nearly 3 decades even if taking dividends into account. That's pretty bad.

ScreenShot2023-11-03at00_45_30.png.dbed83fad9f09fd473c2a21328daa24a.pngScreenShot2023-11-03at00_48_20.png.be4dd26ffc3a40c51cec35ae149935ed.png

I agree completely, I don't think there is any relationship between SET performance and the delay to the digital wallet scheme. Equity markets are a forward view of how markets think the economy will perform in the future. The potential for a buoyant tourism market is real so that's positive, the digital wallet only ever had the potential to create debt so that is not. And since Thailand is dependent on exports which in turn are dependent on overseas markets and have not performed well at all this year, the real reason for non-performance of the SET is more likely to exports and an overly strong dollar.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Damn! What to believe? One day all is well... toutism, exports, electronics, car components - the next day thailand is broke or in deficit. wth can i believe?

I hope this 10 000 bht giveaway will be the ruin of Puke thai and i pray that the canadian loonie fares better like in 2006.

Other than that who knows wth is going on with this economy

5 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

Damn! What to believe? One day all is well... toutism, exports, electronics, car components - the next day thailand is broke or in deficit. wth can i believe?

I hope this 10 000 bht giveaway will be the ruin of Puke thai and i pray that the canadian loonie fares better like in 2006.

Other than that who knows wth is going on with this economy

With the exception of August (barely) and September, exports have been very poor, the only reason September looked good was because imports dropped by a huge amount which created a rare trade surplus for the first time since March.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/balance-of-trade

• Thumbs Up 1