Thai Airways launches direct flights from Bangkok to Istanbul

snoop1130

Thai-airways-768x370.jpg

Thai Airways International (THAI) is set to start direct flights from Bangkok to Istanbul on December 1, marking a significant expansion of its international flight network. The announcement was officially made in a recent launch ceremony, presided over by the Chairperson of THAI Plan Administrators, Piyasvasti Amranand, and the Ambassador of the Republic of Turkiye to Thailand, Serap Ersoy.

The outbound flight from Suvarnabhumi International Airport is slated to take off at 11.45pm, reaching Istanbul at 6.05am local time the following day. In contrast, the return flight will depart Istanbul at 4.30pm and touch down in Bangkok at 5.35pm the next day.

The introduction of direct flights between Bangkok and Istanbul is anticipated to bolster THAI’s connectivity and cargo capacity, not only in the Asia-Pacific region but also in Africa and other regions. The Thai flag carrier believes this move will stimulate investment, promote economic exchange, and enhance transport links between Thailand and Turkiye.

Turkiye, being a significant gateway to Eastern Europe, is believed to reap substantial benefits from this development, reported Bangkok Post.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Caption: Photo courtesy of Bangkok Post

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Istanbul???

Thai ignore larger European cities, until christmas or next year?

Would be more profitable to open routes to Europe now, if only Thai could set their fares similar to other airlines. That never going to happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Turkey is a great country to visit.. for many reasons.

Wait and see what the air-fare is?

Had a nice holiday there in 2007, but they have been going down the islamic drain ever since.

Checked the fares, was 35k, think it was for end April 2024.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Had a nice holiday there in 2007, but they have been going down the islamic drain ever since.

A Thai friend of mine just did a 10-day package tour there..

40,000 baht all-in.

Flights, 5 star hotels, tours, transfers everything included.

Well impressed and said would definitely return.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

It's a great place to visit and maybe it's better since 2007 actually. Not bad getting 28 lira to the dollar!  But I'm sure Turkish air will have better fares than Thai. Looking forward to my three day stopover on the way to BKK in two weeks. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

A Thai friend of mine just did a 10-day package tour there..

40,000 baht all-in.

Flights, 5 star hotels, tours, transfers everything included.

Well impressed and said would definitely return.

who did he book with,? Mrs wants to go, no visa needed

36 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Turkish Airlines is very popular in Europe and are considered to offer quality service and better prices then the other Gulf state airline majors.

I used to fly Turkish quite often en-route to London or Baku, and on a number of occasions they would overbook and tried to offload me and others I know on the Istanbul-Bangkok sector. Only my Star Alliance gold card got me through Even then, I needed to protest, rather than them automatically giving me priority due to my card. One nice touch though was the on-board chef for those up front, with full uniform and large white hat.

16 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Istanbul???

Thai ignore larger European cities, until christmas or next year?

Would be more profitable to open routes to Europe now, if only Thai could set their fares similar to other airlines. That never going to happen.

There is no larger city in Europe than Istanbul, besides of Paris, London and Moskow 

Good move of THAI Airways!

Competition is always in the interest of the customer, and due to TURKISH Airlines' monopoly on direct flights between Bangkok and Istanbul, their rates have been quite high so far.

While TURKISH, which has been my favourite carrier for years, offers good rates from anywhere in Europe to Asia via Istanbul, direct flights from Istanbul are more costly. This is a quite common policy in the airline industry.

Assume the return lands at 5.35 AM and not PM - not relevant except possibly for an airline timetable.

Rest assured, that this will be a steep uphill battle. Turkish Airlines is a completely different ballgame today and has nothing to do with the flying tent congregation of camel beduins of the Middle Age. Modern airplanes, top inflight and ground service - the full nine yards. A real pleasure to fly with them apart from having a home base turntable which is second to none. 

Good luck Thai Airways ......... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Interesting move.

We're in the fortunate position to able to afford to fly business class. TK is excellent: Great on-board service; excellent food; the best lounge I have visited; accommodation paid 2 night layover in Istanbul offered (extendable at own expense); very competitive fares. 

I last flew with Thai about 10 years. No more than adequate. Unless they have improved substantially in the meantime, imo it will be difficult for Thai to compete on this route.

6 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Turkish Airlines is very popular in Europe and are considered to offer quality service and better prices then the other Gulf state airline majors.

Not to forget that Istanbul is a great place to visit, great hotels, amazing food, lovely and friendly girla all over, cheap booze and great clubs and all with great prices. 

Like anyplace, if one is looking for bad, looking for anything to rant about,   one ends up in only seeing the bad.

TA would not launch a direct flight just to annoy a few.  IST is very popular holiday destintion for many Thais.

what  you said, plus Turkish is a member of the same alliance as Thai and they have connecting flights from Istanbul to lots of destinations in Europe. You can fly on one ticket and have your luggage checked through, whatever your destination.

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

So who cares what he says. I bet people in your country say worse. Has nothing to do with Istanbul being a great city. 

My country is like France in 1939. Who then got a lot of help though...

Wonder why? But even Vietnam got help..

Edited by Ben Zioner

22 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Not sure I want to fly to  Isistanbul.

What about restoring flights to Perth Australia which they stopped a couple of years ago there is thousands of Aussies having holidays in Thailand and have to put up with connecting flights in KL or Singapore 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

So who cares what he says. I bet people in your country say worse. Has nothing to do with Istanbul being a great city. 

How can it be a great city if it's got adherents of the terrorist death cult running around in it? 

• Thumbs Up 1