How Long Has Thailand Been Your Home?

Sir Burr

How long has Thailand been your home?  

452 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 years, mostly working in the Bangkok area but also with an Isan home.

17 years and still can' spell Issan?

Try to improve your english spelling before correcting others. Your signature is an example. Apparently your Thai Skills might not be as good as you think they are. If you read and write Thai you know it can be translated in with a single "s" or a double "s" since there is no specific rule for that hence Isan (Isan/Thai: อีสาน; also written as Isaan, Isarn, Issan, or Esarn). Thanks for your attention.

Edited by ralfbkk

Wouldn’t dream of living there. Ghastly place. But hats off to those of you that can tolerate it.

Why? Also if its so ghastly. Why are you on here on a Thai forum? Also i notice you signature says Singapore , Phuket at weekends. So the question the Op was refering to was Thailand. Maybe you got confused with Bangkok and not Thailand.

Perhaps we should remember that the laws of this land are designed to protect Thai's, NOT purposefully discriminate against foreigners.

I have lived in Thailand for only 3 years but in that time I have understood that the laws prevailing are not for the Thai as a nation but for a tiny minority who exploit the remainder mercilessly, including farang, as they think fit.

Mind you, this reality does not prevent my imminent retirement there. In the land of illusions it's best not to have any.

I suppose it boils down to the fact that out of all choices available Thailand remains the most attractive economically and they have a culture of politeness and I do like good manners.

Edited by pliny

If you read and write Thai you know it can be translated in with a single "s" or a double "s" since there is no specific rule for that hence Isan (Isan/Thai: อีสาน; also written as Isaan, Isarn, Issan, or Esarn). Thanks for your attention.

In this day and age shouldn't it be E-San :o

In and out between 1989 and 1997

Permanent since 1998.

• 1 month later...

On and off since September 1994, living fulltime since July 2002...I like the overall experience, though there are many individual negative elements. Somehow Thailand is greater than the sum of its parts...

Came to LOS for the first time in 1984 but funny enough never really leave there, only for a couple of month about 8 years ago. Unfortunately I never been able to make a leaving in Thailand so I'm stuck in China for the time being.

On the positive side, HK is only 2 1/2 hours by plane from Bangkok so I can manage to spend a couple of days here from time to time, usually arrive on Friday night, back to work on Monday morning.

One day, on the way home from the airport, I was telling my life story to a taxi driver and he came with the conclusion that I should have a wife in Hong Kong and a mistress in Bangkok. To that I replied he was right, but it just happend to be the same person.