Elon Musk tells Rishi Sunak AI will eventually mean no one needs to have a job

Social Media

image.png

Artificial intelligence will eventually mean no one needs to work, Elon Musk told Rishi Sunak last night.

In conversation with the Prime Minister, the tech billionaire compared AI to a 'magic genie' that would bring a time when 'no job is needed'.

Mr Musk said people could still work 'for personal satisfaction' if they wanted, and one of the future challenges would be finding 'meaning in life'.

Mr Sunak replied: 'I'm someone who believes work gives you meaning.'

Speaking in front of tech bosses and journalists, Mr Musk said: 'You can have a job if you want to for personal satisfaction, AI can do everything.

'I don't know if that makes people comfortable or uncomfortable. It's both good and bad.

'One of the challenges in future will be how do we find meaning in life. We won't have universal basic income but universal high income. It'll be good for education - it'll be the best tutor.'

Speaking at Lancaster House following the AI summit at Bletchley Park, Mr Musk described 'a future of abundance where there is no scarcity,' calling AI a 'magic genie'. But he then quipped that those fairytales rarely end well.

FULL STORY

MAILONLINE.png

If the wrong people are in charge, as they were when the computer revolution happened, they will dedicate all their resources to making sure that people still have to work.

Control freaka are scared shipless of a society where lowee class people have the freedom to choose not to work.

2 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Cool! AI can unblock my blocked drain and take out the rubbish bin! BS! :thumbsup:

Firstly, of course there will be some jobs. Work would be a lifestyle choice, though, rather than an expectation.

Secondly, both the tasks mentioned would certainly be possible with AI. Think bigger.

2 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Maybe only 20-40 per cent of jobs give people meaning.

A whole lotta meaningless jobs out there.

I am retired and now do Want I want!

I work for myself and having a choice to do what ever I want gives myself more meaning than when I worked for the man. 

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am retired and now do Want I want!

I work for myself and having a choice to do what ever I want gives myself more meaning than when I worked for the man. 

I managed to find some jobs working for "The Man" that I enjoyed.

But also quite a few that made me miserable.

I'm not at the point of doing what I want yet. Hope to get there soon. 

Cheerio.

You had better get into the mobile phone business Elon. All those people will want something to pass the time away if not working.

See Thailand. Even with work they can't take their eyes off their screens. imagine it 1000 times worse.

34 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I managed to find some jobs working for "The Man" that I enjoyed.

But also quite a few that made me miserable.

I'm not at the point of doing what I want yet. Hope to get there soon. 

Cheerio.

Yea same here , on having to do some jobs that I only did for the money.

But what annoys me is that I worked hard to get to where I am and retire, and now they all going to retire?

Grrrrrrrrr.

I think at the very least , as kids, they should be made to eat Brussel sprouts and blue  cheese!!

21 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Yea same here , on having to do some jobs that I only did for the money.

But what annoys me is that I worked hard to get to where I am and retire, and now they all going to retire?

Grrrrrrrrr.

I think at the very least , as kids, they should be made to eat Brussel sprouts and blue  cheese!!

Yes, that's one issue that older generations may not appreciate.

That younger generations will not need to work as hard and maybe retire at 30. 

But neither will they have an opportunity to amass as much wealth as previous generations. If you are one of the lucky ones who amassed a lot of wealth, it might be harder to do for future generations if most jobs vanish. 

^ +1 - exactly

All these people are also going to kick back, relax, and survive on air and sunshine:

Half of the global population lives on less than US$6.85 per person per day

https://blogs.worldbank.org/developmenttalk/half-global-population-lives-less-us685-person-day

Edited by BKKBike09

33 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

But neither will they have an opportunity to amass as much wealth as previous generations. If you are one of the lucky ones who amassed a lot of wealth,

That might be a blessing in disguise .

Who really needs the amount of wealth the top 3% have? other than for power over others.

A a guaranteed universal income would  increase productivity  since those trapped in mundane brain numbing jobs would be able to apply themselves to subjects they are really interested in and thus add to the productivity that AI provides. And who is to say that those on universal income who are successful in the pursuit of their interests  could not get wealthy from  it.  

I am just being spiteful and would like to see the little <Deleted> eat their  Brussel sprouts and broccoli. 😂 

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Yes, that's one issue that older generations may not appreciate.

That younger generations will not need to work as hard and maybe retire at 30. 

But neither will they have an opportunity to amass as much wealth as previous generations. If you are one of the lucky ones who amassed a lot of wealth, it might be harder to do for future generations if most jobs vanish. 

Ohh and beets! they should be made to eat beets also, and perhaps salted sardines, but I think that's going too far.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sirineou said:

That might be a blessing in disguise .

Who really needs the amount of wealth the top 3% have? other than for power over others.

A a guaranteed universal income would  increase productivity  since those trapped in mundane brain numbing jobs would be able to apply themselves to subjects they are really interested in and thus add to the productivity that AI provides. And who is to say that those on universal income who are successful in the pursuit of their interests  could not get wealthy from  it.  

I am just being spiteful and would like to see the little <Deleted> eat their  Brussel sprouts and broccoli. 😂 

I didn't mean the top 3 per cent type of wealth.

You do realize that the middle class has already started shrinking, right?

But it's a tradeoff ... smaller house maybe, but also less work. 

Some could get wealthy probably. It's hard to predict what it will look like exactly.

Maybe 2030 is show-time, according to World Economic Forum. 

It's not our generation's thing. But the next generation will have a very different life. 

Just now, save the frogs said:

You do realize that the middle class has already started shrinking, right?

Unfortunately, as one in it I have noticed. 

The middle class is IMO the strength of all societies and where all agents of innovation and change have come out of.

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Unfortunately, as one in it I have noticed. 

The middle class is IMO the strength of all societies and where all agents of innovation and change have come out of.

It's a completely new ball game with AI and UBI. 

This is also referred to as Post-Capitalism. 

But no one knows exactly what things will look like.