At least 14% of Americans have had long COVID, research suggests

TallGuyJohninBKK

A trolling post regarding COVID vaccines -- which are not the topic of this thread -- has been removed for contravening the forum's Community Standards, along with a comment on moderation.

"10. You will not post troll messages. Trolling is the act of purposefully antagonizing forum members by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other members into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion."

Besides the horror of the simply now known 14% of a population afflicted with long covid, because, like chickenpox can lead to shingles decades later we don't know yet what else might be down the line given a coronavirus that can accumulate even in the skull-meninges-brain axis, what's a multiple of scary is all the people still risking long covid given such odds. Because if I'm reading this right and correct me if I have not, that 14% with long covid is "only" 14% of the *total* population. But 14% of the total population is not 14% of the 47% reported having caught covid. Just to round the numbers not even on the back of an envelop, isn't that more like a 30% risk of getting long covid if you get covid at all, though granted with the greater part of that coming from those with more severe (likely less vaccinated--or certainly by other factors) infections?

Because if those were my odds of not crossing the street safely, I'd not cross the street without the metal of my own car surrounding me. Yet masking until we get better vaccines that have a good efficacy rate against transmission is hardly as inconvenient as that. Such a simple solution to what can otherwise have very good odds of leading to a lifetime of problems.

Edited by thaicurious
typo
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, thaicurious said:

. . . Yet masking until we get better vaccines that have a good efficacy rate against transmission is hardly as inconvenient as that. Such a simple solution to what can otherwise have very good odds of leading to a lifetime of problems.

~

Yep, your simple solution is the way to go:

Wear a face-mask to protect yourself from getting covid, as catching covid can lead to developing 'long covid'.  And in mean-time get your booster-shots because although not optimal, these also provide you with some protection to catching covid (although the main reason for taking them is that the shots allegedly diminish the risk of hospitalization or death when catching covid). 

A fitting quote here by H.L Mencken: "For every complex problem, there's a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

~

Wear a face-mask to protect yourself from getting covid, as catching covid can lead to developing 'long covid'.  And in mean-time get your booster-shots because although not optimal, these also provide you with some protection to catching covid (although the main reason for taking them is that the shots allegedly diminish the risk of hospitalization or death when catching covid). 

A fitting quote here by H.L Mencken: "For every complex problem, there's a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."

Those are excellent observations.  Keep your masks on, 24/7 if possible, and make sure you get every single shot and booster whenever a new variant-busting booster is released. And remember to social distance, and even better, just stay at home. Stay away from other people and if you must interact with others, best to double or triple mask.  Make sure to stay on top of your other shots too. Flu, dengue, HPV, shingles, yellow-fever, hepatitis, MMR, tetanus, rabies - but especially Covid shots.  Many experts were recommending Covid shots at least every three to six months.  Look at what the experts say.

"ACIP’s COVID vaccine working group, however, says its information on the original monovalent series and boosters suggests protection against hospitalization starts waning four months after a person receives the dose."
"Protection appears to be restored after people receive additional doses over time, according to ACIP."
"The CDC reported in February that mortality rates among people who received a bivalent booster were 14 times lower than in those who had never been vaccinated and three times lower than in people who received the original COVID vaccination series but no booster."

-- How Often Should People Get COVID Boosters?, Scientific American, April 13, 2023

So right from American scientific experts mouths:  Protection wanes after 4 months but "appears to be restored" if you keep getting those boosters and the CDC messages is that you are 14 times less likely to die as compared to anti-vaxxers.  I know my anti-vaxxer aquaintences have been dropping like flies misted with Baygon.

"Receiving at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose was associated with a significantly lower risk of respiratory failure, ICU admission, intubation/ventilation, hypoxaemia, oxygen requirement, hypercoagulopathy/venous thromboembolism, seizures, psychotic disorder, and hair loss."
--MeRxiv Six-month sequelae of post-vaccination SARS-CoV-2 infection: a retrospective cohort study of 10,024 breakthrough infections, Nov 8, 2021

And look at the other benefits of Covid vaccination.  Prevention of "seizures, psychotic disorders, and hair loss." Well, at least in those 10,024 people who got the Covid shots and then came down with Covid in a "breakthrough" case, which of course is very rare. So - get your shots, keep your hair.  Excellent.  No more need to take finasteride and minoxidil, and with the savings you can afford more Covid shots!

"Vaccination (compared with no vaccination) was associated with reduced odds of hospitalisation or having more than five symptoms in the first week of illness following the first or second dose, and long-duration (≥28 days) symptoms following the second dose."
--The Lancet, Risk factors and disease profile of post-vaccination SARS-CoV-2 infection in UK users of the COVID Symptom Study app: a prospective, community-based, nested, case-control study, September 1, 2021

So there it is from the experts - Take more shots and you'll have 'reduced odds of....long-duration (≥28 days) symptoms, i.e., long Covid.

Never can be too safe is my motto.  mRNA Covid shots are proven to keep the plague of Covid at bay.  Get your boosters today!  If you get the shots you won't get Covid.  And if you do get Covid you won't get sick.  And if you do get sick you won't die.  And if you do die, you won't die bald.  And you won't get long Covid.  Promise, or so say the experts.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Having had long COVID is associated with anxiety and low mood

So is a recession and bankruptcy and international terrorism and failing banks and civil unrest and $33.5 trillion in debt.

Did the researchers account for the symptoms being the same for those suffering from Long Brandon?

• Like 2

Seems about the right number. My immediate family of 10 who I live with had 3 cases of long covid varying from mild to pretty heavy. One 35 yo niece who works as a lawyer experienced heavy brain fog that took months to clear and badly affected her work. The other cases were milder but real and aggravating. 

What some naysayers seem to forget is that any new crossover virus from nature (via lab or not) can reek havoc throughout the body. Covid hits the lungs, heart, circulatory system, other organs, is particular hard on the liver, and is know to affect the brain. Of course there will be varying degrees of damage. On the contrary, human's have long adjusted to the common cold, which is now a nothingburger.  

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

Seems about the right number. My immediate family of 10 who I live with had 3 cases of long covid varying from mild to pretty heavy. One 35 yo niece who works as a lawyer experienced heavy brain fog that took months to clear and badly affected her work. The other cases were milder but real and aggravating. 

What some naysayers seem to forget is that any new crossover virus from nature (via lab or not) can reek havoc throughout the body. Covid hits the lungs, heart, circulatory system, other organs, is particular hard on the liver, and is know to affect the brain. Of course there will be varying degrees of damage. On the contrary, human's have long adjusted to the common cold, which is now a nothingburger.  

So get those mRNA Covid shots as often as suggested by the experts and you'll be safe!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Look at it the other way round, 86% totally fine but thanks for asking.

No, the 86% is just the portion who did NOT report having Long COVID at some point...

You're missing the overall 47% in the survey who reported they had had COVID...

And of course, the 1.1 million Americans who weren't around anymore to answer the survey because they had already died from COVID.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

~

Bringing the casual viewer up to speed, previously on Fun with Antivaxxers, last we chatted you'd stomped off crying something about no more responding to me. To which I replied that's your prerogative, but also it was further evidence of your shifty methods about which you deemed being called out on a personal attack. Would only theatrics instead of facts win debates, someone might award you.

The actual Mencken quote is: “…there is always a well-known solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong.” Please correct your magic bag of bumper sticker mentalities for future reference.

But how fitting of an antivaxxer to quote a known bigot. Let’s do our own research and see what Mencken had to say about vaccinations, just to stay on topic:

When we appropriate money from the public funds to pay for vaccinating a horde of negroes, we do not do it because we have any sympathy for them or because we crave their blessings, but simply because we don’t want them to be falling ill of smallpox in our kitchens and stables, to the peril of our own health and the neglect of our necessary drudgery. In so far as the negroes have any voice in the matter at all, they protest against vaccination, for they can’t understand its theory and so they see only its tyranny, but we vaccinate them nevertheless, and thus increase their mass efficiency in spite of them. It costs something to do the work, but we see a profit in it. Here we have a good example of self-sacrifice based frankly upon expediency…” ~~H.LOL. Mencken

Meanwhile, you may mock layering protection, but also I told my friends decades ago about exercising and eating right and staying safe from virus and don't smoke and moderate your partying, oh, nooos, more layering. Today they have stents, and strokes, and heart attacks, and dementias and TAVR valves and those are just the ones still alive, yet silly me who swam a mile a day for most of life and ate properly and took my own advice has now, well into my 60s, a zero coronary artery calcium score and I still swim laps pretty much every day. Good luck to you.

Edited by thaicurious
  • Like 1