England booted from World Cup

bignok

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

At least we don't have a World Series that only involves two countries 🙂 

Allow me to be a pedant and correct a misconception.

The MLB World Series was a competition first funded and promoted by a newspaper called the New York World. They named the competition after themselves, as in The World Series. Had it been the Telegraph, the name would have been The Telegraph Series.

Now you know.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Allow me to be a pedant and correct a misconception.

The MLB World Series was a competition first funded and promoted by a newspaper called the New York World. They named the competition after themselves, as in The World Series. Had it been the Telegraph, the name would have been The Telegraph Series.

Now you know.

I actually knew before!

The "New York World" story is one of several circulating about where the series actually got its name.

Bard AI says this: -

image.png.79224fd7771a7c090a15db5c5a293501.png

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Interestingly the "short" (T20) version of the World Cup of which we speak will be held in the US next year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_ICC_Men's_T20_World_Cup

I wonder what the crowds will be like, will there be TV education programmes explaining the complexities of the game?

None and hell no.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, itsari said:

Was it not the Australians that came up with limited overs cricket ? 

Mr Packer I believe was the man behind the introduction of the reinvented  rules of cricket .

Correct in that Kerry Packer came up with limited overs ODI, which has further evolved into T20 etc.

The rules of cricket were not reinvented, only the format. It rejuvenated a game which had become stodgy and defensive.

How many people remember Trevor Bailey, Geoff Boycott and Bill Lawry? The latter batsman was called "a corpse with pads on".

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

The shoulder pads and helmets are used to hit people, not protect them. And the most grotesquely overweight NFL lineman can probably outrun just about every soccer player, most of whom seem to laze about the field in a trot half the time.

Oh, come on. Half the time NFL players are not even on the field.

Check out an Australian Rules midfielder. They will cover 16 - 20 km in a game. One of your linemen would have busted a gut at that work rate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I've watched Australian football and they look like they're moonwalking. Truth is, put them on an NFL field and it would only take one or two plays for them to need to exit the field in a stretcher.

Rubbish! 🙄

47 minutes ago, still kicking said:

You got no Idea about Aussie soccer. Minor sport can draw 59 thousand spectators for women soccer. Go back to bed and take your medicine. 

You got no idea. Most Aussies couldnt careless.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Take your medicine unemployed living in a third world country.

This is what an unemployed pensioner has, I am not living in a room with a fan.

Could contain:

Could contain:

You said you couldnt afford the 400,000 baht before. Now you show 2 different houses 555

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Show me what you got? Nothing at all .

You keep changing your story. Before it was cheap rent. You said you paid less than $300 a week

Now you claim to be buying houses on the pension. You also said you lost most of your money in Thailand. You also said you couldnt afford the 400,000 baht for visa.

Make up your mind what story you want to run with.

• Confused 2