Thailand economy: Fiscal position to suffer due to government policies like digital wallet scheme

webfact

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The Junta must've really emptied the pot and gold reserves?

How do you figure, there's USD 212 million in BOT's foreign currency reserves currently and that includes gold?  If the USD weakens and the exchange rate improves, that amount will increase substantially.

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

If the USD weakens and the exchange rate improves, that amount will increase substantially.

If the USD weakens, surely their USD holdings will lose value relative to something or other?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If the USD weakens, surely their USD holdings will lose value relative to something or other?

The foreign currency reserves are not all held in USD, they comprise lots of currencies, over 24 plus gold and SDR's, USD is less than 40%. THB is strengthening at present and USD is weakening, the US DI is down to 105%.

See the effect of USD strengthening and weakening on the reserves, below.

https://app.bot.or.th/BTWS_STAT/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=80&language=ENG

Edited by Mike Lister

54 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

How do you figure, there's USD 212 million in BOT's foreign currency reserves currently and that includes gold?  If the USD weakens and the exchange rate improves, that amount will increase substantially.

You are way off . Thailands so called foreign currency reserves are $ 212 Billion . The 560 billion baht give away equals $16 billion dollars. So seems hot chillies question is valid

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, morrobay said:

You are way off . Thailands so called foreign currency reserves are $ 212 Billion . The 560 billion baht give away equals $16 billion dollars. So seems hot chillies question is valid

I'm sorry, that's a typo on my part, of course the reserves are in billions not millions.

If you look at the BOT link I supplied in my post to that poster you'll see the effect of exchange rate movements, on the foreign currency reserves. Because USD has strengthened that means there is more baht required per dollar hence the total of USD when calculated in USD is lower than when the exchange rate is higher/stronger, as it was in April.

Edited by Mike Lister

5 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

I'm sorry, that's a typo on my part, of course the reserves are in billions not millions.

If you look at the BOT link I supplied in my post to that poster you'll see the effect of exchange rate movements, on the foreign currency reserves. Because USD has strengthened that means there is more baht required per dollar hence the total of USD when calculated in USD is lower than when the exchange rate is higher/stronger, as it was in April.

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The Junta must've really emptied the pot and gold reserves?

Exchange rates varying is not the subject of the post by @hotchilli or  the context of my reply where I referenced his post. 

38 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Exchange rates varying is not the subject of the post by @hotchilli or  the context of my reply where I referenced his post. 

I understand that, he was suggesting that the coffers had been pilfered, presumably that's because the foreign currency reserves are lower than they were previously?

Foreign currency reserves are held in a variety of currencies, including THB, but are accounted for in USD. When the exchange rate changes, so the value of the foreign currency reserves rises or falls, giving the appearance that the reserves have reduced when really they haven't..

Just now, morrobay said:

You see @Mike Lister what @hotchilli and myself are trying to convey: If  the Bank of Thailand has $212 Billion then the $16 Billion giveaway should not be a problem. 

But the government doesn't own the foreign currency reserves, BOT does. And the purpose of those reserves is to maintain the Baht and to guarantee trade, not to  provide loans to government on request. Government cannot simply say, gimme the money, government has an annual budget, that's their money to spend, not the reserves, they cannot be touched by government..

Considering Japan budget deficit at around 4.5% and peer ASean country like Malaysia at 4.3% for 2024, Thailand's 2024 budget deficit of 3.6% is not alarming considering the need for fresh policies to stimulate a very sluggish economy weighed down by the dropping for exports and dwindling investor confidence. Q4 GDP likely to be lower than forecast. Thailand need to be pro-active with bold economic policies. Sitting still like the previous government will be more disastrous to the economy. I do agree that the 10k wallet scheme should be reviewed to a smaller budget and implement in stages over the full year. Still a lots of external geo-political risks to navigate next year.   

• Like 1