My Legal Wife Has A Thai ID problem.

Hi there, As my wife of 20 years and myself are going to Australia for 3 months I'm sure my wifes ID problem will surface again. It all started when she was born. She comes from a very primitive family in a very poor part of the countryside of Korat. Her father didn't register her until she was 6 months old. So life went on for 45 years when I decided to take my then gf to Australia for 3 months. Everything went fine when we arrived in Melbourne until we had to enter via different check points as was normal then. I waited for maybe 1 hour and no sight of her. It appears that on her original ID the DOB has the year of birth only. Of course she was s***ting herself surrounded by officers and her English was very limited then. Finally I was allowed in the room and one officer asked me what I was doing there, of course I gave him a spray as I was her husband. Anyway we were told that she could go but she wouldn't be allowed to return to Australia until the DOB on her ID was fixed. Over the years she must have tried 20 different times to get her ID updated to the full DOB but no Government Office in Thailand will touch it. Has anyone had a problem such as this. Seriously it's such a petty thing why wouldn't someone just put down the presumed day and month of birth and all's fine. Actually she renewed her ID yesterday in Pattaya no one queeried her about the date missing and just issued her with a new ID with all the details the same as the original. She asked about the missing dates and was told the details on the ID can't be changed, that's crap as my family name is on her ID.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NONG CHOK said:

It all started when she was born

It usuals does.  LOL

ID the DOB has the year of birth only.

If it only has the year , then it is not a DOB for obvious reasons. I can not believe that a Thai ID would not have a DOB on it,  but TIT nothing surprises me here. 

Has your wife tried to report that the card was lost and as a new one was being issued complain that the card was wrong and it did not display the DOB which would be the date she was registered,. Do not even mention the discrepancy between birth and registration. which will make her 6 months younger, What woman does not want that LOL. The problem of course would be that she would have to wait six months later to retire.  

or use a different form of identification, (check with the Australian authorities to see what is acceptable)

Edited by sirineou
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Her father didn't register her until she was 6 months old.

I'm with Peterw42 on this, your story doesn't make sense, (above reply to post).

How did she get in Australia without a Passport ?

My then gf, now wife, I gave him a spray as I was her husband ?

If she was born in a hospital, surely there would be a record somewhere ?

If that's not the case, you can always flash 10 big notes to someone in the Amphur as I am sure that DOB problem can be sorted real quick with a new ID Card being provided.

Edited by 4MyEgo

So life went on for 45 years when I decided to take my then gf to Australia

Finally I was allowed in the room and one officer asked me what I was doing there, of course I gave him a spray as I was her husband.

Make your mind up gf or wife in the story

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Hi there, As my wife of 20 years and myself are going to Australia for 3 months I'm sure my wifes ID problem will surface again. It all started when she was born. She comes from a very primitive family in a very poor part of the countryside of Korat. Her father didn't register her until she was 6 months old. So life went on for 45 years when I decided to take my then gf to Australia for 3 months. Everything went fine when we arrived in Melbourne until we had to enter via different check points as was normal then. I waited for maybe 1 hour and no sight of her. It appears that on her original ID the DOB has the year of birth only. Of course she was s***ting herself surrounded by officers and her English was very limited then. Finally I was allowed in the room and one officer asked me what I was doing there, of course I gave him a spray as I was her husband. Anyway we were told that she could go but she wouldn't be allowed to return to Australia until the DOB on her ID was fixed. Over the years she must have tried 20 different times to get her ID updated to the full DOB but no Government Office in Thailand will touch it. Has anyone had a problem such as this. Seriously it's such a petty thing why wouldn't someone just put down the presumed day and month of birth and all's fine. Actually she renewed her ID yesterday in Pattaya no one queeried her about the date missing and just issued her with a new ID with all the details the same as the original. She asked about the missing dates and was told the details on the ID can't be changed, that's crap as my family name is on her ID.

It validates all my assumptions about foreigners marrying people outside of their culture with limited communication channels between the two parties. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

Firstly let's not jump to conclusions, I wouldn't waste my time unless this really happened. She was born in a country shack, they don't keep records there. This only happened in Melbourne Australia. If you read carefully, she renewed her ID yesterday, again no day or month. So if it's not on their latest data base where is it?

How did she enter Australia, on a Passport with no date of birth ?

I would also assume that if she was issued a Thai Passport, she would have to of shown a birth certificate and or a Thai ID with her DOB. 

Not jumping to conclusions.

To reply, just hit the quote button below and start typing, it's easier than adding to my post.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Suspect need lawyer and family/community members to attest to date.  Hospital or school records likely to be useful if still available.  ID card data can be changed with supporting evidence.

Yes, something something like this, my story is from decades ago - confusing information regards Date of Birth.

The local PooYaiBahn, immediate family and other relatives did attest/witness and correct or otherwise rectify this at the local Amphur. Spoke almost no Thai at the time so only can say, this is how it went down in my story and a usable birth certificate was issued. There was no lawyer involved.

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SHA 2 BKK said:

A friends' Grandmother from Kanchanaburi was born in 1936 - she has no idea of the day - only year (and that's a guess).  She remembers Japanese and "Farang" soldiers being close to her village during the war.

Her Thai ID just has ".. .. 1936" as her Birthdate.   

Lately he booked a ticket to Phuket for her - AirAsia needed a DOB.  Quick Google in Thai and 01.01.1936 was the required format.

Though I doubt YaYa will ever want a Passport seems to me unknown Birthdates are a thing in the LOS.

My mother-in-law shares the same birthdate as her three cousins, although they were born different days some years apart - the family was in the habit of saving up births until it was worth the trip to Prachuap Khiri Khan to do the registration.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

Yes, something something like this, my story is from decades ago - confusing information regards Date of Birth.

The local PooYaiBahn, immediate family and other relatives did attest/witness and correct or otherwise rectify this at the local Amphur. Spoke almost no Thai at the time so only can say, this is how it went down in my story and a usable birth certificate was issued. There was no lawyer involved.

Much easier to have the lawyer get all the information together for most people however - especially if not currently living in home location.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Much easier to have the lawyer get all the information together for most people however - especially if not currently living in home location.

I didn't actually express an opinion regards the necessity of a lawyer, rather just a retelling of my decades old story,

Yes, a lawyer might well be required to simplify/facilitate the process and as you very likely correctly point out "especially if not currently living in home location" - depending on the OPs situation, some/many of these people may be deceased as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

What i/d? Foreign travel requires a passport. I'm searching my memory of 20 years as an Immigration Officer and can't recall seeing passports showing a year of birth only, though I may be wrong. In these days of machine-readable and digitized passports I suspect the systems would be unable to cope with an incomplete date of birth, and it is quite likely that in the absence of day and month, a passport will show these as 01 01, as certainly used to happen on refugee documents. 

I suggest that you trot along to your nearest Passport Issuing Office and see what the score is - far more reliable than any answer you're likely to get on here.

Firstly thanks for your sensible reply, she been through all this as you suggested and no one wants anything to do with it. So she's still in limbo not wanting to cause a problem when we reach our destination.

• Like 1

A bit weird your story but one thing I would say is to approach immigration at Melbourne on arrival as a couple. Not separately.

Last time I went with my ex wife we weren't sure if you could do that and she went first with me standing behind her in the queue. At Melbourne airport.

They started grilling her. Her English wasn't great and she looked back at me for help. They called me over and it was all good.

They said next time to just come to the counter together.

On 11/7/2023 at 5:13 AM, NONG CHOK said:

was told the details on the ID can't be changed, that's crap as my family name is on her ID.

Names can be changed, date of birth cannot.

Over the years I met few Western people who have no date of birth. Most of them were born during or shortly after WWII. The last one I remember was born in Germany and his passport showed 0.0.1945. He was a ship Captain so traveled the world and never had any problems.

Also, you keep ignoring a question asked by few repliers: how did she get a visa to Oz with no DOB? And why would she show her Thai id at Melbourne immigration?

• Like 1

Your story is full of, ahem... holes:

1) explain where on a Thai ID a Australian Custom official would put an arrival stamp? (sarcasm)

2) Either you lied to a custom official about your marital status saying your gf was your wife,

I decided to take my then gf to Australia for 3 months. Finally I was allowed in the room and one officer asked me what I was doing there, of course I gave him a spray as I was her husband. (my bold for emphasis)

or you just wish to be known as a forum tough guy who will yell and cuss at a Melbourne Custom Agent, and even that you got wrong because it's called "to cop a spray" which means you were at the receiving end of a close-up yelling with saliva flying at you, "giving a spray" doesn't exist - you made that up.

Edited by klauskunkel
  • Confused 1