My Legal Wife Has A Thai ID problem.

On 11/7/2023 at 6:43 AM, sirineou said:

It usuals does.  LOL

If it only has the year , then it is not a DOB for obvious reasons. I can not believe that a Thai ID would not have a DOB on it,  but TIT nothing surprises me here. 

Has your wife tried to report that the card was lost and as a new one was being issued complain that the card was wrong and it did not display the DOB which would be the date she was registered,. Do not even mention the discrepancy between birth and registration. which will make her 6 months younger, What woman does not want that LOL. The problem of course would be that she would have to wait six months later to retire.  

or use a different form of identification, (check with the Australian authorities to see what is acceptable)

Well my Thai daughter in law has an aunt whose birth was never registered (parts of the family lived in a very remote village in the mountains in Chaiyaphum).

We offered to take aunty on a trip to Singapore. She had no passsport. My Thai son and his Thai wife took her to the Thai passport office in Chiang mai. CM passport staff were very helpful; they told my son and his wife to take her to a regional amphur office in Chaiyaphum. They did that; the staff said they would have to create a document which had an estimated year of birth but no attempt to guess day and month details.

Son and wife and aunty went back later same day andd got the document (cost 40Baht).

They took the new document to the CM passport office and they did issue her with a passport showing only yeara of birth (the day/month showing as XX/XX). The CM passport supvr aslomentioned athat a passport with just year was generally accepted in Asian countries but they didn't know about other regions/countries.

They all went to Singapore. Aunty terrfified that she would be jailed or whatever and she speaks zero english. Son went first at the S'pore arrivals passport desk, then aunty.

S'pore p'port man was polite and called his supvr. They asked my son some questions and were very polite to Aunty. Quickly they stamped her in. Supvr mentioned that once she's successfully done the first arrival it would automatically be acepted on arrival in the future and he wrote a short note in her p'port.

Two years later a big family group went to S'pre. All the other had 'normal' passports. Aunty stepped up, the officer quickly read the short note on her passport from the first arrival then quickly stamped her in p'port man said 'chern crrap' with a big smile. 

• Thanks 3

this is a correct account of the ID situation,  very common in thaland among the older people.

nowadays, when an initial birth registration is done, if only a year available, usually taken from the house paper,  january 1st is just inserted,  my daughter in law's case on this aspect.

my wife, born 1948, the ID only shows the year,  hence, also her thai passport.

she has travelled the world extensively with little problen, save the explanation here.

her passport however will not work in the thai exit & reentry machines.

she only has to go stand in line with me. always no problem.

at some banks, they often get upset about this for their papperwork, but finally accept it.

she married me in canada 43 years ago, and got a cdn passport, although with my last name.

I gave her a birth date for it, so that travel document works fine.

she now has 2 passports, each with different information,  name, dates.

we have also tried to fix it over the years, but it is true that no retroactive changes can or will be made in thailand.

new info. only, such as name change or married name.

I'm not sure this is helpful but may clear up some doubts.

My Thai wife and I have been legally married for over 47 years.

Her Thai Birth Certificate shows her DOB as 1945, no Day, no Month.

Her Thai Passports over the decades simply show 1945.

When her first Thai digital PP was issued the DOB line shows XX XXX 1945 inline with International convention. Her latest Thai PP issued in 2022 shows the same.

She obtained her first UK PP over 40 years ago when the application was submitted ny snail mail. Faced with the DOB question, I wrote in 01 JAN 1945 because my own DOB is 31 JAN 1940.

Subsequently her first UK PP was 01 JAN 1945.

Then, during a renewal of her first UK digital PP the new document was issued with DOB 14 JAN 1945 apparently an administration error. Now, of couse, it was all on a database and network!

So, I chose to ignore it since it did not affect us at all except that various everyday transaction such as Utility Bills and Electoral Roll still showed 01 JAN 1945. Easily fixed since the Primary Source document was the UK PP.

Just once, about 5 years ago, we passed Immigration at Manchester Airport on return from Europe and a young officer challenged her DOB saying it was different to his database record (Huh?). I was able to show him her previous UK PP (expired) and that convinced him. He told me they were seeing increasing numbers of forged UK PPs.

• Like 1

Suggestion from changing wrong spelled name on birth certificate: She should start at the district office – to my knowledge the tessa ban office – where she is born, and have her birth certificate updated. Thereafter the house book where she is registered. Then she should be able to have the ID card updated; she might get, or need, a letter from the tessa ban office to bring to the amphor office, where ID cards are issued. Finally can travel passport be updated.

My Wifes sister didnt know her birthday, she was born on the side of a rice paddy field, and her birth recorded quite some time later. Her ID had no date of birth as it was unknown. This was from a time when the birth was recorded on a house register, no Tabien Bahn then.  It didnt help that the sister isnt able to read or write due to no schooling.

It was a few years ago that I found a copy of the household registration with the documents needed to get my wife to Australia. On that document was a barely legible DOB for the Sister, so we took a copy of that with us on the next trip. That was taken to the local Ampur, where he ID was updated. She was very happy, as for the first time in 50ish years she was able to have a birthday party..

I was flying into Bangkok from overseas somewhere some years ago and there was a well dressed African guy sitting next to me who asked me to help fill in his landing card.  He could only speak French and his passport only had the year in it like the OP's wife.  He asked me how to fill in his DOB.  So I said, if you only have the year, fill that in and he did.  He explained his situation was similar to the OP's wife.  He was born in a village and his birth was registered retrospectively and no one remembered his birth date.  I guess no problem landing in Thailand, as there are many similar cases, including hill tribe villages where government officials assigned everyone a birth date of 1 January.  Lucky he wasn't going to an anally retentive country like Australia.

On 11/7/2023 at 10:12 AM, 4MyEgo said:
On 11/7/2023 at 6:57 AM, CartagenaWarlock said:

It validates all my assumptions about foreigners marrying people outside of their culture with limited communication channels between the two parties. 

That could be construed as a racist comment.

Not in a million years.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

She doesn't need to show her ID in Australia, just passport.

OP seems to just refer to "ID" without saying what.  If it was ID card it might have been asked if passport did not have complete DOB as a secondary check that passport not fake?  This appears to have happened decades ago.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Judging by all your argumentative (UK centric) posts - same - BLOCKED.

And no one gives a rat's rear either - especially not me.

From your barely comprehensible post it's difficult to know who that remark is aimed at but, if it is me, carry on, blocking has no effect on anyone except the "blocker"!

On 11/8/2023 at 10:05 PM, Neeranam said:

She doesn't need to show her ID in Australia, just passport.

Actually I didn't mean her ID, I was just stating if her ID hasn't got a day and month of birth, then how could she have the correct DOB on her passport.

On 11/8/2023 at 1:09 PM, klauskunkel said:

Your story is full of, ahem... holes:

1) explain where on a Thai ID a Australian Custom official would put an arrival stamp? (sarcasm)

2) Either you lied to a custom official about your marital status saying your gf was your wife,

or you just wish to be known as a forum tough guy who will yell and cuss at a Melbourne Custom Agent, and even that you got wrong because it's called "to cop a spray" which means you were at the receiving end of a close-up yelling with saliva flying at you, "giving a spray" doesn't exist - you made that up.

On 11/8/2023 at 1:09 PM, klauskunkel said:

Your story is full of, ahem... holes:

1) explain where on a Thai ID a Australian Custom official would put an arrival stamp? (sarcasm)

2) Either you lied to a custom official about your marital status saying your gf was your wife,

or you just wish to be known as a forum tough guy who will yell and cuss at a Melbourne Custom Agent, and even that you got wrong because it's called "to cop a spray" which means you were at the receiving end of a close-up yelling with saliva flying at you, "giving a spray" doesn't exist - you made that up.

Thanks for your very informative reply. May I add that when I had a shot at the immigration officer it had nothing to do with the missing day and date on her passport. It was the way she was verbally harrased and pushed into a back room by herself. That's when I intervened telling the officer not only was she my legai wife but also I'm her interpreter. I shouldn't have mentioned the Thai ID. I was just stating that if there was no day and day of bith then how could she possibly have the full DOB on her passport. By the way I don't lie and my same wife is still with me. Have a good one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1