Is it just the Thai way or am I missing something

jwest10

4 hours ago, jwest10 said:

There are some wonderful Thais tbf and our latest Daughter-in law is brilliant as is her family and yes feel I have 2 wonderful families.
Appreciate another wonderful post from you.
Just enjoy lol but I do and wish you all good ok
Thanks mate

Makes me smile to see how you both write 😊

Happy you found someone on your wavelength. 

• Love It 1

On 11/7/2023 at 4:19 PM, jwest10 said:

I won't mate and yes our Daughter- in law asked my Thai wife do I say and do this thanks and I am sure you understood it.
BTW those who give nasty replies just go on your merry way 
Thanks bignok

Boring...

On 11/7/2023 at 4:03 PM, jwest10 said:

yOU AND eNGLISH TEACHER OR WHAT DO NOT LECTURE ME OK

It is are not raining here also.

No,Thais are not very demonstrative in the family

Nobody says good morning or good night or asks how your day was

Sometimes something will happen in the family and you will find out by coincidence.

I have seen family members return after a two year absence with no emotions shown, just a 'hello'

On 11/7/2023 at 1:51 PM, bignok said:

Sawadee - hello

Sabadee Mai? How are you

Sabadee - fine

Rak - love

Just google it

Yet if you listen to them talk to each other you will never hear any of that.  They just say that to you to make you feel good.

17 hours ago, Dexxter said:

I have started using the Bard AI web page for Thai<->English translations because they seem much better than the weird translations provided by Google. Bard also makes changes to the translation to make it more natural-sounding and accurate.

Thanks for that info. I'll check it out!
Google can be worked with if you can read and write Thai, but it's a hassle. My new laptop was purchased abroad and doesn't have the Thai keyboard, so I use Google on the occasion I need to write something in Thai, but it can be a real pain in the neck because the translations are often so whacky. Thankfully, these days I rarely need to write anything in Thai anymore. At one time it was a daily occurrence, which would be untenable with Google. I was guessing that eventually AI would clear these sorts of things up. Looks like it's coming! Thanks again.

12 hours ago, NextG said:

You’ve got it wrong. No one is attacking you. Look at it this way…. Everyone is busy with their lives in one way or another and we often feel that we don’t have time for everything. So our time is seen as precious. They came to your post because the cared enough to read it. But some, including myself initially, weren’t ‘tuned in’ to your meaning, the feeling behind your post. They read the words but could not put them together in a way that made sense to them. So they asked you more questions or suggested ways by which you could communicate in a different way, so they might understand. 
If they are taking their time; their precious time, to reply to you in order to ask more…. it means they are interested in what you are saying, but they are having problems with the interpretation. The people who weren’t interested either didn’t read or just left the thread soon afterwards. 
Learn to communicate more nicely with the people who stayed 🤗 

BINGO
Right on the money!
After reading more in the comments, I came to understand a bit better. At first, I actually thought English wasn't his native tongue. I had a very difficult time making heads or tails of his post. It appears a number of others were in that same boat.... But, I was glad to see some others were able to decipher it. Kudos to them!

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 1:11 AM, bignok said:

Forum has lots of nasty people

Dont worry

If you would have read what he was replying to, there was absolutely ZERO nastiness in it. It was constructive advice given with the very obvious intent to help the guy, who very obviously has a difficult time expressing himself with decently comprehensible writing in English, as attested to by numerous others also posting about it. He opted to respond with nastiness. I'm guessing you didn't see the original comment that was intended to help him that he was being so nasty toward.
I do agree with you though! This forum has LOTS of nasty people. Unfortunately, he opted to be one of them in this case.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2023 at 7:40 PM, Sig said:

Lecture?? lol
I wasn't lecturing at all. It's called constructive criticism. I was trying to be helpful for you to be able to communicate better. I guess you are a bit sensitive and can't handle a weakness being pointed out?
No, I'm not an English teacher:saai:
There are a number of people who also mentioned that they had a hard time understanding your post. You should be able to get a clue from that, in order to grasp that you might try a bit harder. I honestly thought English is your second or third language. I believe it may be your first, now that I've read a bit more of the comments. That's some pretty astounding English for a native speaker! Maybe you were drunk? I guess there could be a number of reasons for such incredible syntax....

IN ENGLISH PLEASE MORAN

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

On 11/8/2023 at 10:48 AM, BritManToo said:

I agree with you, my Thai wife an kids are very polite, considerate and loving.

More so than my Brit family ever were.

I notice the complainers always seem to be surrounded, by a host of distant relatives.

Quite frankly, those apparently living in some communal Thai family  hell-hole need to clear out the ungrateful hangers on.

Hehe funny story i have for those communal Thai family.. I solved that problem the first year.  But for this topic about behavior from Thai wife and kids, it has not changed since I have been together with my woman. She rather likes this part of culture not ingrained into being Thai. She likes being held, having conversations in English, being loving in front of family or anyone else Thai. The kids learn from us. So they also learn this culture that is never taught to Thais. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, jwest10 said:

IN ENGLISH PLEASE MORAN

Ad hominem personal attacks aren't typically any sort of astute way to make a point. Not conducive to any sort of dialog at all and shouldn't be allowed on the forum IMO. Your attitude could use some serious realignment. You continue to attack me because I tried to offer you some helpful advice, which clearly you aren't interested in and doesn't appear that you are up for the task of self-improvement. If you don't like advice, given in good faith and kindness, that's up to you, of course. You are free to continue on in your way of communication, which, if I'm not mistaken, was the difficulty you made the post about to begin with. It appears that you may have more than only a problem with English writing proficiency. Perhaps you have a problem with communicating well in general (and perhaps in comprehension as well). I don't mean that as an attack. It is a serious observation from the way you've responded here in light of the issue you brought up to begin with. There may be a lot more going on than only cultural differences in your communication/comprehension difficulties. Why would anyone want to have a conversation with you at all when you might just go off half-cocked with ad hominem attacks for no apparent reason? Poor writing proficiency or even poor communication abilities are not something that need to be some sort of dehumanizing thing or any sort of put-down. Some people are skilled at some things and other people aren't. It's a good thing to recognize one's own weakness rather than refusing to accept the fact and attack anyone who may give you any sort of advice to help you improve on a given weakness.

By the way, my stepfather was nearly illiterate, but he endeavored to improve and ended up doing a fairly well. If that's where you've come from, then that's great and I hope you continue to improve. In the meanwhile, hopefully you can recognize, since a number of people have told you that your writing is quite difficult to comprehend (And those were the ones who took the time to bother mentioning it to you. Who knows how many just turned away immediately and didn't bother letting you know, in order to help you recognize something for you to work on improving.), that your writing needs great improvement still in order to be more easily understood. Yet, at the same time, don't let that stop you or slow you down in expressing yourself. The more practice, the better. Just take a chill pill and a piece of humble pie, don't take a stand on a high horse, and accept constructive criticism that isn't attacking your character, but simply pointing out a weakness with intention to help. Use it to better yourself, not to become an unduly bitter person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sig said:

Ad hominem personal attacks aren't typically any sort of astute way to make a point. Not conducive to any sort of dialog at all and shouldn't be allowed on the forum IMO. Your attitude could use some serious realignment. You continue to attack me because I tried to offer you some helpful advice, which clearly you aren't interested in and doesn't appear that you are up for the task of self-improvement. If you don't like advice, given in good faith and kindness, that's up to you, of course. You are free to continue on in your way of communication, which, if I'm not mistaken, was the difficulty you made the post about to begin with. It appears that you may have more than only a problem with English writing proficiency. Perhaps you have a problem with communicating well in general (and perhaps in comprehension as well). I don't mean that as an attack. It is a serious observation from the way you've responded here in light of the issue you brought up to begin with. There may be a lot more going on than only cultural differences in your communication/comprehension difficulties. Why would anyone want to have a conversation with you at all when you might just go off half-cocked with ad hominem attacks for no apparent reason? Poor writing proficiency or even poor communication abilities are not something that need to be some sort of dehumanizing thing or any sort of put-down. Some people are skilled at some things and other people aren't. It's a good thing to recognize one's own weakness rather than refusing to accept the fact and attack anyone who may give you any sort of advice to help you improve on a given weakness.

By the way, my stepfather was nearly illiterate, but he endeavored to improve and ended up doing a fairly well. If that's where you've come from, then that's great and I hope you continue to improve. In the meanwhile, hopefully you can recognize, since a number of people have told you that your writing is quite difficult to comprehend (And those were the ones who took the time to bother mentioning it to you. Who knows how many just turned away immediately and didn't bother letting you know, in order to help you recognize something for you to work on improving.), that your writing needs great improvement still in order to be more easily understood. Yet, at the same time, don't let that stop you or slow you down in expressing yourself. The more practice, the better. Just take a chill pill and a piece of humble pie, don't take a stand on a high horse, and accept constructive criticism that isn't attacking your character, but simply pointing out a weakness with intention to help. Use it to better yourself, not to become an unduly bitter person.

Misspells "moron" in capital letters.

That's a paradox in itself.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

So, if I interpret what the OP is saying, i think there is a difference between family relationships in a Thai or 'foreign' family.

My wife grew up in the US, and may well have been contaminated there, but we always, and still do hug our son even though he's a grown man now.

When we moved to Thailand when he was 12, Mom always gave him a hug and a kiss as he left for school, much to the amusement of classmates who walked to school with him.

He always brushed it off, which to this day I think made him a better man

You rarely see Thai's give open expressions of physical love or feelings  to their kids, which I think as someone who came from a loving family is sad.

They may well love their kids, but those physical moments we have with our children help cast the die on how they turn out as grown men and women.

Hope I understood the OP's basic opinion for the thread

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/7/2023 at 12:42 PM, jwest10 said:

1/ Does he say I love you sometimes or whenever he can
2/  Yes anytime say good morning and good night
3/ Do the children say this at all
4/ Please or thank you and yes even in their own language or in English
5/ They don't seem to say I love you
6/ How was your day?
and so on and on

1) For that, try the Philippines.

2) Thais say "Fun dee" for good dreams, both in real life and to end a chat.

3) Not that I heard.

4) "Please" I neve heard, but Thai often say thank you, "khap khun kaaa"

5) Seldom. Love here can sometimes be more of a practical thing (I will get flamed for this)

6) "sabai dee mei kaa? Are you fine, are often used. Also "tam-a-rai U"? what are you doing?

In general, my experience is that Thai women more talk about food, gossip, use time on their phones. Talk are overrated.

Many Thai women want a man who not talk too much, but they want a man who can make them laugh.

How often have we all heard "farang put mak" foreigner talk too much.

Well, we are guilty on that, most of us.

Look at the bright side, if she also not talk way too much, maybe less arguments, and silent treatment.