Non O (retirement) transition to Non OX in Australia?

53 minutes ago, howerde said:

The money must be held in a Thai bank account, and you need to show the money was transferred from abroad

This. The Sydney Consulate may just be choosing to list the equivalent amount in AUS$.

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

This. The Sydney Consulate may just be choosing to list the equivalent amount in AUS$.

Yes  and/or they are getting confused with an OA visa where the money is kept in your home country, The MFA (ministry of foreign affairs) are responsible for embassies/ consulates, and their info updated 2022 shows

https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/content/80939-non-–-immigrant-visa-“o-x”-(long-stay-10-years)?page=5d68c88b15e39c160c0081e5&menu=5d68c88b15e39c160c0081e6

I would hate for the OP to pay 600 aud, which is not refundable if rejected

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, howerde said:

I would hate for the OP to pay 600 aud, which is not refundable if rejected

That's the good thing about Sydney Consulate. You can only submit application online and only after they approve it do they ask you to send passport with fee.

Of course he would still have paid for police clearance, had GP check and paid for 1 year health insurance but all are valid for O-A application if O-X failed

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mokwit said:

If you want the OX visa you probably don't fully understand its onerous terms.

It appears that every Embassy or Consulate offers a different version and the Thai version seems onerous for sure, same even with the Australian Canberra Embassy version, but the Sydney Consulate version appears to be a good deal from what I have seen so far

• Like 1

Just now, steevjee said:

It appears that every Embassy or Consulate offers a different version and the Thai version seems onerous for sure, same even with the Australian Canberra Embassy version, but the Sydney Consulate version appears to be a good deal from what I have seen so far

I would suggest you download the OX pdf from Thai Immigration as that is who you will be dealing with on each YEARLY check.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

For me it seems like a massive loose loose. The price of keeping 800/400k in a Thai bank on very low interest rates to extend a Non Imm O in Thailand annually far outweighs the PITA of getting retirement visas overseas and having to go thro Thai health insurance programs. Besides in years to come interest rates will fall overseas as well.

Thai interest rates will never ever be equal to Australia's, it will be at least 5 years before inflation is driven down in the West but even then Australia will offer at least 3x better interest than Thailand, currently its 13x

42 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

That's the good thing about Sydney Consulate. You can only submit application online and only after they approve it do they ask you to send passport with fee.

Of course he would still have paid for police clearance, had GP check and paid for 1 year health insurance but all are valid for O-A application if O-X failed

Nil chance of rejection, I've read the terms and can qualify easily on every level

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Considered that too, so I'm hunting now for an Aussie that has actually got this visa from Sydney so as to get it from the horses' mouth so to speak

12 minutes ago, steevjee said:

Thai interest rates will never ever be equal to Australia's, it will be at least 5 years before inflation is driven down in the West but even then Australia will offer at least 3x better interest than Thailand, currently its 13x

To me seems that you have convinced yourself that the non O-X is best option.

I wouldn't take any notice of Sydney information.

You have received good advice in the thread however you seem to be deflecting.

There are a few threads re this topic.

Very few take up this visa and some io at airports seem confused as they are not common.

With good reason. 

If the funds in the bank is an issue then change to income method.

Those funds can be used to live in Thailand.

No requirement to maintain funds in Thai bank.

Alternatively use an agent to obtain your extension each year. 

At your age insurance will be problematic at best and if possible will be expensive. 

A lower threshold for insurance is a non O-A.

That visa provides up to almost 2 year stay.

If your travel pattern is to return to Oz every couple of years that would be an option.

Funds remain in Oz

Non O-X Silly option imo

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sydney -  O-X visa page

https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-type-o-x

For more information regarding the stay in Thailand can be found on the Thai immigration website https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/non-immigrant-visa-o-a?menu=5e1ff71bc4281a00c812e8e2

That is a link to non immigrant O-A requirements

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

At your age insurance will be problematic at best and if possible will be expensive. 

Sydney Consulate has health insurance for O-A and O-X as exactly the same requirement of 400k/40k but O-A is actually higher at 3 million baht insurance required. This is shown by prices quoted from approved insurer where O-X is 10,255 while O-A is higher at 13,290 per uear

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Sydney Consulate has health insurance for O-A and O-X as exactly the same requirement of 400k/40k but O-A is actually higher at 3 million baht insurance required. This is shown by prices quoted from approved insurer where O-X is 10,255 while O-A is higher at 13,290 per uear

Could contain:

Could contain:

Yes I picked up on that too, but more homework ahead as i need to be sure there are no hidden traps given how much better this deal is to many other OX offerings

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

To me seems that you have convinced yourself that the non O-X is best option.

I wouldn't take any notice of Sydney information.

You have received good advice in the thread however you seem to be deflecting.

There are a few threads re this topic.

Very few take up this visa and some io at airports seem confused as they are not common.

With good reason. 

If the funds in the bank is an issue then change to income method.

Those funds can be used to live in Thailand.

No requirement to maintain funds in Thai bank.

Alternatively use an agent to obtain your extension each year. 

That visa provides up to almost 2 year stay.

If your travel pattern is to return to Oz every couple of years that would be an option.

Funds remain in Oz

Non O-X Silly option imo

No I haven't yet made any decisions, just in research mode tbh.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the monthly income stream thing, is that only based on a documented pension or annuity? or can I just arrange a monthly transfer from my savings account back home?

19 minutes ago, steevjee said:

No I haven't yet made any decisions, just in research mode tbh.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the monthly income stream thing, is that only based on a documented pension or annuity? or can I just arrange a monthly transfer from my savings account back home?

Seems most immigration offices just want to see 12 monthly transfers of 65k + per month.

Consistent dates advised.

As per usual in Thailand some immigration offices play their own game. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steevjee said:

Nil chance of rejection, I've read the terms and can qualify easily on every level

If you easily qualify for the Non O-X visa, you would usually also qualify for the LTR-WP (Long Term Resident Wealthy Pensioner) visa. Do you have a reason for rejecting that option, especially as one reason for choosing the Non O-X seems to be financial (and the Non O-X visa does not have the tax benefits you get from the LTR-WP).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, steevjee said:

Exactly, and that is a price worth paying for me for the simple process of extending a Non O inside Thailand each year.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 4:21 PM, steevjee said:

I suspect that perhaps wires are getting crossed between the Canberra visas rules and the Sydney deal.

Sydney makes no mention of baht anywhere that I can see

all waiting for knock off 5 pm.. andgold on sundays..

On 11/8/2023 at 4:37 PM, Digitalbanana said:

For me it seems like a massive loose loose. The price of keeping 800/400k in a Thai bank on very low interest rates to extend a Non Imm O in Thailand annually far outweighs the PITA of getting retirement visas overseas and having to go thro Thai health insurance programs. Besides in years to come interest rates will fall overseas as well.

also, after 3 months you can use the 400k thb for things like trading online....  whatever.. providing top up months before the extention due again

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Seeall said:

also, after 3 months you can use the 400k thb for things like trading online....  whatever.. providing top up months before the extention due again

400k is a marriage extension requirement.

45 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

400k is a marriage extension requirement.

What he has in mind is that, three months after the retirement extension is granted, you can reduce the money in the bank from 800k to 400k baht. This gives to 400k available for seven months to use for other purposes.

21 minutes ago, BritTim said:

What he has in mind is that, three months after the retirement extension is granted, you can reduce the money in the bank from 800k to 400k baht. This gives to 400k available for seven months to use for other purposes.

My error - just keyed on 400k as marriage as OP seemed to be aware of the 800/400 retirement procedure from quote.  

• 6 months later...
On 11/8/2023 at 3:30 PM, steevjee said:

Not for Aussies applying from Sydney, see link below, funds can be proven from an Australian bank.

This is the reason for my initial question and Health Insurance only for 1st year

https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-type-o-x

You apply for the Non 0-X via the online evisa site https://thaievisa.go.th/

The link you supplied could not be found, 404 error.

https://thaievisa.go.th/visa/long-stay-visa

long-stay-visa

Long Stay Visas (OA, OX)

Long-stay visa to Thailand

Long-stay (O-A)

Long-stay (10 years) for foreigners age over 50 and family (O-X)

Required Document
(Please check relevant embassy/
consulate's website for specifically
required documents)
  1. Biodata page of Passport or Travel Document
  2. Photograph taken within the last six months
  3. Proof of the permanent residence in the country where the application is submitted
  4. Financial evidence with fixed deposit of no less than 3,000,000 THB or no less than 1,800,000 THB together with monthly income of no less than 1,200,000 THB per year in Thai bank located in Thailand
  5. A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months)
  6. Foreign Insurance Certificate as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and Health Insurance of Thailand, which must be completed, signed and stamped by the insurance company. The form can be downloaded from https://longstay.tgia.org
  7. Health Insurance issued by a insurer in Thailand with outpatient benefit of no less than 40,000 THB and inpatient benefit of no less than 400,000 THB
  8. Certificate of criminal record clearance from the country of nationality (In case that the applicants have permanent residence in other country, the aforementioned document from both country of nationality and country of permanent residence is required.)
  9. Biography

Number of entry
Validity of Visa
Multiple
5 Years