Obliged to give copy of passport?

I've lived in 6 houses over the last 18 years, every house I've lived at I have given the house owner a copy of my Passport and they have given me a copy of their ID card

It works both ways, they want a copy in case you cause problems and you should get a copy to make sure they have the right to rent you the house and you have a back up in case of any problems

I have heard a few cases of Thais renting out properties that are in somebody else's name and they have no right to rent them out

who collected the lease contract at all? was the owner present to get a copy and just did not sign? ridicioulous.

if an agent or third party sent it to them, you need to get them to re-send it back with his signature. maybe you had a lazy agent who sent your signed lease to the owner for approval and never got the returned signed copy back.

Edited by JimTripper

If the owners name doesn't appear on the contract immigration just might have a few problems and also for your own benefit if something happens with the property you will need there contact name and number.If they won't comply just walk.

Legally, they might ask for your passport info for verification purposes, but it's also crucial to ensure they follow the TM30 reporting rules. You could ask them about it politely or maybe offer to provide your passport info once they confirm they're doing the TM30.

On 11/9/2023 at 7:50 AM, Mike Lister said:

He wants ID from his tenant, what else is going to ask for! Yes, you are obliged.

If you give him a copy of your passport Write across it "For use as part of rental contract at.. only"

• Like 1

I would NEVER sign a rental contract in Thailand unless you have copies of the owners Thai ID card or foreign passport, house book and chanote. All documents should be in the same name too! If you cannot get all of the above, you may have a hard time with immigration services.