Obliged to give copy of passport?

I just rented a place. The landlord didn't put his name on the "contract" so I'm not sure if he's going to do the TM30 reporting.

Now he's asking me for a copy of my passport. Am I obliged to give it to him even if he doesn't do TM30 reporting?

• Confused 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

It's best to get a copy of the contract and review it overnight. Many people get it in the office and are rushed to sign  then and there while people are waiting. There's a lot of pressure to sign it quickly in that situation.

I agree completely. But I'm betting the contract is already signed and the deposit paid because the op says he's just rented a place, this may be a done deal already.

Edited by Mike Lister
  • Like 2

I asked this landlord to give me a copy of the TM30 reporting and he says that I can "report information to the local immigration." Does that make sense? Can I do TM30 reporting to immigration without any information of the landlord?

7 minutes ago, Celsius said:

This must be Pattaya. I never see these kind of scams in Bangkok.

That's because people in pattaya are running out of money a lot more, so their are more scams. More people around that have lost self-control due to a hedonistic lifestyle, which ultimately translates into a loss of control over money.

• Haha 2

In Thailand it is normal for Thais to present their ID in almost any dealing with government banks and other institutions and the same applies to foreigners, so if you have nothing to hide or planning a scam, than by all means, provide your ID...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agg211 said:

I asked this landlord to give me a copy of the TM30 reporting and he says that I can "report information to the local immigration." Does that make sense? Can I do TM30 reporting to immigration without any information of the landlord?

No, that doesn't make sense.  As a foreigner you cannot stay long-term in Thailand without ever needing a service from an Immigration Office, and the Imm Office will require proof of your address in their province before providing any service.

Note: The only way of staying long-term in Thailand without every visiting an Imm Office, would be on a 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa, and exiting/re-entering Thailand every 3 months (before expiry of the 90-day Permission to stay such Visa provides you).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1