Overstayer Busted at Airport

3 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

If he means he can come back in immediately then he is wrong. The penalties for overstaying by as long as he has involve at least a 3 year ban, possibly 5. Which of those it is, depends on whether it's less than three years, or more.

Overstaying in Thailand

Yeah thanks, it was my feeling that he is in much more trouble than he thinks. I can put all this to him but whether he will listen I don't know. I don't really know what's going on inside his head tbh. 

10 hours ago, Deserted said:

have a friend who has overstayed by three years now. He tells me all he has to do is book a flight out, pay a 20,000 baht fine and then come back, is this correct? He has never been in trouble before for anything but I told him I don't think its so simple. Who is right, me or him?

why do you care, is  that your problem? Better for health to not put your nose in others...

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Deserted said:

I have a friend who has overstayed by three years now. He tells me all he has to do is book a flight out, pay a 20,000 baht fine and then come back, is this correct? He has never been in trouble before for anything but I told him I don't think its so simple. Who is right, me or him?

He enjoys it here so much he's on 3 years overstay ? When he does leave he may see a stamp in his PP whether new or old he hands over..........'no entry before 2029' terrible error on his part. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Deserted said:

That's what I thought all along. He stopped trying when Covid came and hasn't attended to it since. But how they gonna know if he reports his passport as lost and gets a new one. They won't have the new one in the system and he should be okay right?

How will he identify himself in his application for new passport, I thought a lost passport needs a police report.

• Thumbs Up 2

Quite a few years ago I had some problems when leaving the country for a visarun. It happened at Pedang Besar that the IO told me, "You are not in the computer." I helped him by suggesting to look up first and last name instead of last and first name. But otherwise, the Immigration computer was always right in 29 years...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Totally the opposite, the fines imposed by the court are nearly always much LOWER than the 500 baht per day.

but they won't let you book your own flight out would they? once detained, even at the airport, you can only buy ticket out  through them and to your passport countries nly 

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I stopped renewing my MC registration during COVID and have not done so yet. The MC is a used one I bought five years ago for 18K. I only run it in Jomtien's back alleys for going to 7-11 or to the beach. 

I think you've posted this in the wrong thread as it has nothing to do with immigration and overstaying.

• Like 1

That's a confusing article as far as the actual reason for the arrest is concerned.

The article mentions a second guy who was arrested and sent to a police station in Krabi, which to me indicates that he was arrested because an arrest warrant had been issued for him in Krabi before he attempted to leave Thailand via Phuket Airport.

In other words, he was arrested trying to leave the country as a wanted suspect for committing some crime while also on overstay, but he wasn't arrested because of his overstay.

With the guy sent to a Phuket police station for further processing, it's not so clear. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Deserted said:

I have a friend who has overstayed by three years now. He tells me all he has to do is book a flight out, pay a 20,000 baht fine and then come back, is this correct? He has never been in trouble before for anything but I told him I don't think its so simple. Who is right, me or him?

how hard is it not to overstay? deserves the full force of appropriate legislation thrown at him. people like this only make things more difficult for those of us that have no problem following some basic laws.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, swerve said:

I don't know how Thai Immigration catches deportees when they pull a fast one, and try to return early.  Like with a name change passport.  But, they do catch many of them and it doesn't go well.  Maybe your friend doesn't need to be in Thailand.  There are other warm countries he can go to and wait out his 5 year ban should he wish to return.

How do they catch them? Simple.  Biometrics, databases and facial recognition software. Deportees deserve to be caught if they haven't bothered to keep up with the technology, because Thailand's Immigration Dept certainly has. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, BritTim said:

the only airline that is likely to accept you is your country's national carrier, not a low cost airline.

Some countries, the USA and UK to name but two, don't have a "national carrier" as such. Perhaps the more relevant criterion is that it should be a direct flight, which would in many cases rule out a low cost airline.

8 hours ago, vangrop said:

if it works

Are you living under a rock or something? Of course that works, it does since years. Your friend is basically done for 5-10 years once arrested or leaving on his own free will. The only way to come back would be a very big bribe that you organize before leaving via some contact or to come back to Thailand by crossing in illegally.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Some countries, the USA and UK to name but two, don't have a "national carrier" as such. Perhaps the more relevant criterion is that it should be a direct flight, which would in many cases rule out a low cost airline.

Certainly not true of the UK:. See, for instance, https://www.britishairways.com/cms/global/pdfs/BASI_5_Environment_Policy_July_2023_v2.0.pdf

As the UK’s flag carrier, we connect Britain with the world and the world with Britain ...

• Thanks 1