Overstayer Busted at Airport

5 minutes ago, Deserted said:

That's what I thought all along. He stopped trying when Covid came and hasn't attended to it since. But how they gonna know if he reports his passport as lost and gets a new one. They won't have the new one in the system and he should be okay right?

If he's overstayed, then he's overstayed! End of story!

Old then new, not in immigration system is not relevant. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deserted said:

I told him that but because he has a wife here he kinda sees Bangkok as home. There must be ways to get out of the country, fake stamps at the border and so on. I think he could get out if he put his mind to it but I am not sure he could get back in though.

A wife is a very good reason to be in Thailand.  Perhaps the wife could move with him. I don't know how sneaking out of the country will go in the end.  I do remember hearing about a Nigerian guy who was deported and then snuck back into Thailand. He was eventually caught and deported again, but did manage to stay here for a few years more.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, proton said:
23 minutes ago, treetops said:

Biometrics and personal data.

Even if you change your name you cannot change date of birth, fingerprints or face

I think the first clue they'll have is the lack of an entry stamp in the new passport.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, impulse said:

I think the first clue they'll have is the lack of an entry stamp in the new passport.

He could get it overseas (it's easy to get out unnoticed) so the entry stamp point is moot, but he would almost certainly not get back in, even with a new passport.

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Deserted said:

Oh yes, fingerprints, forgot that. Oh dear, he is in trouble then.

Never mind fingerprints, they will know when he last entered the country based on his name and date of birth - that's all they need to know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

Never mind fingerprints, they will know when he last entered the country based on his name and date of birth - that's all they need to know.

I've told him already he may be able to sneak out with fake stamps and whatnot but won't be able to sneak back in. I thought that was the case all along but never really said anything until he started telling me all he has to do is pay a 20k fine and that's it

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Deserted said:

That's what I thought all along. He stopped trying when Covid came and hasn't attended to it since. But how they gonna know if he reports his passport as lost and gets a new one. They won't have the new one in the system and he should be okay right?

I stopped renewing my MC registration during COVID and have not done so yet. The MC is a used one I bought five years ago for 18K. I only run it in Jomtien's back alleys for going to 7-11 or to the beach. 

• Confused 6

3 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I stopped renewing my MC registration during COVID and have not done so yet. The MC is a used one I bought five years ago for 18K. I only run it in Jomtien's back alleys for going to 7-11 or to the beach. 

Yeah but that's a different story. They can't prove you use it or even have it still. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deserted said:

I have a friend who has overstayed by three years now. He tells me all he has to do is book a flight out, pay a 20,000 baht fine and then come back, is this correct? He has never been in trouble before for anything but I told him I don't think its so simple. Who is right, me or him?

If he means he can come back in immediately then he is wrong. The penalties for overstaying by as long as he has involve at least a 3 year ban, possibly 5. Which of those it is, depends on whether it's less than three years, or more.

Overstay more than 1 Year = 3 years ban from Thailand and 20,000 Thai baht overstay fine. Overstay more than 3 Years = 5 years ban from Thailand and 20,000 baht overstay fine.

Overstaying in Thailand

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1