Preventive measures against vermin in a new kitchen?

OneMoreFarang

Currently I am installing my new IKEA kitchen in my condominium. Cabinets on the walls and on the floor.

In my experience in other apartments in Thailand, vermin like to live in kitchens. In some areas it's easy to see them and kill them. But there are lots of dark and hidden places where they probably live undisturbed.

Are there any good preventive measures which can be done when the kitchen is installed?

If you've got any gaps around pipes, then fill with a quick squirt of expanding foam before installing the cabinets.

As @VocalNeal says, "Keep the place clean".

Living out in SEA as a kid in the '60s, the big trend was TupperWare, purchased through TupperWare parties hosted by some memsaab, aka The G&T Brigade. Our kitchen was full of the stuff.

Not necessary TupperWare, but living here and previously in Spain, all food stored in plastic boxes, except tins and bottles and what's in the fridge.

If you've got a wall mounted electrical cupboard that's ducted / open to the ceiling void, then make sure there are no openings out to the kitchen area. 

Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, freeworld said:

Seal off every nook and cranny with silicon before install.

I thought about that. But I think in real life that is basically impossible.

I.e. the little space behind the upper cabinets and the wall. I can try to close that. But somewhere a little hole will be enough for those creatures to go inside that warm and dark place - at least that is what I think. 

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I thought about that. But I think in real life that is basically impossible.

I.e. the little space behind the upper cabinets and the wall. I can try to close that. But somewhere a little hole will be enough for those creatures to go inside that warm and dark place - at least that is what I think. 

With my IKEA kitchen units, a gap right the way along the bottom, perfect place for cockroaches if I had any. I would try to seal it up if you can, I know someone who had real problems killing them once in

• 1 month later...

A follow up question/situation about possible preventive measures:

I am just installing my oven in hobs in the kitchen cabinet. There are holes and slits in the cabinet and they must be there for air circulation.

But obviously those are also passages for insects.

Is there anything I could put into the cabinet to make sure the insects don't use that as their new home.

I can't and won't seal it because it should have the air flow.

I think about measures like maybe some material which smells bad to those creatures that they avoid it.