2 foreigners killed and many injured in minibus accident in Chiang Mai

webfact

14 hours ago, alien365 said:

What speed were you driving? Are there no speed cameras on that stretch? I've never been north of Chiang Dao, but in the south I know the traffic starts to speed up as you get near Chumphon. I'd be going 140 in my eco car as everyone flies past me. 

About 100-110 most of the time.  Cameras? No.  In the 'wild west' up north the speed limit is as fast as you can go.  I sped up to 120-130 thinking that might help - not long before a pickup went past doing at least 160. It seems that they see someone ahead, and then they speed up to over-take you. But the other serious danger is that the same 'types' coming the other way just flash their heaqdlights and come onto your side of the road to over-take !!  Trucks too !!!  It is ridiculous - I was close to turning back around, but I was already half way there anyway. That was in broad daylight - about 10-11am. Coming back we waited until luchtime - less traffic - still insane - but less of them.     

11 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

About 100-110 most of the time.  Cameras? No.  In the 'wild west' up north the speed limit is as fast as you can go.  I sped up to 120-130 thinking that might help - not long before a pickup went past doing at least 160. It seems that they see someone ahead, and then they speed up to over-take you. But the other serious danger is that the same 'types' coming the other way just flash their heaqdlights and come onto your side of the road to over-take !!  Trucks too !!!  It is ridiculous - I was close to turning back around, but I was already half way there anyway. That was in broad daylight - about 10-11am. Coming back we waited until luchtime - less traffic - still insane - but less of them.     

I always assumed that road would be a nice relaxing drive with the 'slow life' in the north. It'll take me over 10hrs to get that far so I'll probably split the drive into two days if the last leg requires the eyes of a eagle. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 8:11 PM, NorthernRyland said:

Your choices are to drive yourself and let them to kill you or drive with them and they kill you anyways. Choose wisely nappy haired hippy adventurer, that blunt may be your last.

At least, if I drive myself, I know my driver is not consumed by operating his phone!