Was you closer to your Mother than your Dad?

georgegeorgia

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

He said he was sad but not overly devastated as when his mum died ,in fact hd was still going to work on the same day his dad died .

Ah, your opening a can of worms Georgie.

Mum died while I was here in Thailand during the Covid restrictions when we weren't allowed to fly and she sadly died alone in hospital.

I felt sad when she passed as one would normally do, given the fact that she was in her mid 80's and having a lot of underlying conditions, it made it a little more easier to accept, suffice to say life at the end wasn't so great for her as I remember during Covid she said if she passes, she is ready, and not to worry, she declined to get vaccinated, (her choice), it was around that time where a lot of people in nursing homes were dying, and people saying it had to do with the vaccine.

Life was not so great for her, post WW11, her mother died when she was 8, the daughter of 6 kids, moved overseas when she was 21 leaving her family back there never to see them again and staying with an Auntie in her new country.

She then married my dad (pen friend), they were not suited for each other at all, 4 kids later, 2 nervous breakdowns, kids in boys homes for months on end at a time, what a sheeet fight surviving that, she was strong, a hard worker and would never say no to her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren, as much as they would fleece her, as for emotions and hugs, next !!!

When his mum died he had 3 months off work ,

I learned a long time ago to accept that we are all going to die one day, having seen very close friends, and my brother pass way before their age (whatever that is), and my dad in his early 70's, kind of sets you up for reality.

As I am retired there was no time off work required for my mum's passing, and I remember when dad passed, I went to work and the boss told me to take time off, with my reply being, keeping busy makes it easier for me, that's the way I work, and he said he understood, but the offer was there to which I said I appreciate it.

It's funny how life goes so quick

I suppose when one looks at their age, they can say that life goes by so quick, however I have had such a full life, that I can say that it has gone by at a nice pace for me, and that I appreciate every recollection of past experiences, good and bad, friends current and past, those who spent their time sharing their advice and life stories which also helps in structuring your outlook on life.

I am still sucking the life out of life, until my last breath, because it has been a really interesting journey, only getting better as I mature, with very few regrets, the biggest one, not putting to bed the 1st girl I kissed, guess 14 and motocross riding with mates was a stupid age for someone :stoner:

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Love It 1

I  miss my Mom every day.

I was closer to her than my Dad, it was her will that drove to excel at high school and on to UC Berkley

My Dad was a great guy, but he would have been happy if I just followed him in the fields.

It was my Mom that saw a better future for me, better than my family past.

So yeah I did love my Mom more, but it's complicated and I loved both my Mom & Dad in very different ways

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, bignok said:

World wars

Cancer

Big issues

The list seems to me to be spot on but I think your priorities are  bit skewed . 

IMNSHO (In My Not So Humble Opinion  , a proper Avatar should be on top of everyone's list. 

So I guess the answer is yes, I could start a thread concerning your Avatar, but I must somehow work cancer and World War in there?  

23 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Thanks.

I hope that does not mean that I lost your vote for Potentate Of The Year  (POTY)?

I promise that though my rule will be with an Iron hand, my spelling will be impeccable. 

Ok perhaps slightly  peccable . But I am sure my administration team would catch any such errors.  

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I hope that does not mean that I lost your vote for Potentate Of The Year  (POTY)?

I promise that though my rule will be with an Iron hand, my spelling will be impeccable. 

Ok perhaps slightly  peccable . But I am sure my administration team would catch any such errors.  

Great.

It's possibly wired into our nurturing genes that the bond between son and mother is stronger, just as the bond between father and daughter is also. In normal families, that is. An abusive parent of either gender changes the dynamic.

I would have preferred it if my mother went first, just so I could have some time alone with my dad.

My dad was a gentleman, my mother a nasty bitch.

As they were loading my dad into the ambulance after his heart attack, and literally a minute before he died, she was leaning over the stretcher "yeah go on and die you selfish sod. You know I can't survive on my own". They were the last words he heard before he left this planet. 

Nasty right to the end.

• Sad 1