People in NSW can now be fined up to $100,000 if they religiously vilify someone, with the government amending existing anti-discrimination laws.

3 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

Its sounds like Australia has become a totalitarian state restricting the freedom of speech. Very sad indeed for the mates down under.

Yes indeed - and so much more has been going on and is continuing to go on - it will only get worse IMO. That is why I left and moved to Thailand. I just got so sick and tired of seeing what the woke PC progressive feminazis have done to Australia.  I grew up in a country that treated everyone the same (they put sheeite on everyone), and gacve everyone a 'fair go' - it was a 'good blokes country'. It started going downhil in the 80s and it massively ramped up after 2000 - it is like living in a place that is the combination of California and Venezuala - the Govt is totally interfering in everything and yet distopian at the same time.  I visited Canberra some years ago (had to go back) and there was 9 speed cameras betwen the aitrport and the city - when I asked my old mates about that they just ducked their heads and said 'yeh its fu*******, but what can you do'.  In so many others ways as well the people of Australia have become 'oppressed' - they are more and more 'controlled'.  Calling someone a female anatomy part is no worrry, but you go to jail if you racially slur someone. An abboriginal footy player deliberately provoked the opposition supporters and one of them said something back - he was charged, fined and banned from ever attending again.  Sorry - going on a bit - I get so 'grumpy' about it all - gotta let it go I guess - more time here will help. I love how 'free' Thais are - about road rules and everythign else - it is great not to drive and be constantly worrying about going 5ks over a ridiculous speed limit and copping a $300+ fine - now I see a van on the side of the road and I dont worry it is a speed camera - that took a few months because it was ingrained back there. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Yes indeed - and so much more has been going on and is continuing to go on - it will only get worse IMO. That is why I left and moved to Thailand. I just got so sick and tired of seeing what the woke PC progressive feminazis have done to Australia.  I grew up in a country that treated everyone the same (they put sheeite on everyone), and gacve everyone a 'fair go' - it was a 'good blokes country'. It started going downhil in the 80s and it massively ramped up after 2000 - it is like living in a place that is the combination of California and Venezuala - the Govt is totally interfering in everything and yet distopian at the same time.  I visited Canberra some years ago (had to go back) and there was 9 speed cameras betwen the aitrport and the city - when I asked my old mates about that they just ducked their heads and said 'yeh its fu*******, but what can you do'.  In so many others ways as well the people of Australia have become 'oppressed' - they are more and more 'controlled'.  Calling someone a female anatomy part is no worrry, but you go to jail if you racially slur someone. An abboriginal footy player deliberately provoked the opposition supporters and one of them said something back - he was charged, fined and banned from ever attending again.  Sorry - going on a bit - I get so 'grumpy' about it all - gotta let it go I guess - more time here will help. I love how 'free' Thais are - about road rules and everythign else - it is great not to drive and be constantly worrying about going 5ks over a ridiculous speed limit and copping a $300+ fine - now I see a van on the side of the road and I dont worry it is a speed camera - that took a few months because it was ingrained back there. 

Don't want to get a ticket? Don't speed I live in Australia and never had a ticket.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, still kicking said:

You mean the Trumsters with their Bison burgers.

Trump supporters live in New South Wales?

Bison burgers, a hell of a lot better than vegan burgers.    Even if they don't taste that much different than a cow burger.   

Edited by radiochaser
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Severe case of DTS... seek treatment

There's no cure.

Regarding the OP, I guess the big question is who gets to decide what's vilification?  A couple of years ago, I was at a neighborhood picnic and a couple of the well known local guys (fishing guides, which is a well respected genre in that seaside neighborhood) walked in wearing red MAGA hats and a few of the neighbors left in a huff, claiming they had been violated, and didn't feel safe.   Is that what they mean by vilification?

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, still kicking said:

Don't want to get a ticket? Don't speed I live in Australia and never had a ticket.

ROFLOL.  Mate that is true but it is ridiculous - you obviously dont drive a lot on the open/country roads - I did.  Nothing serious - but I kept being caught by those camera vans hidden behind trees (especially in VIC) - never more than 5k over - but quite a few times.  

I hear you and you are right - but you are not someone that actually thinks speed cameras save lives are you?

5 hours ago, impulse said:

There's no cure.

Regarding the OP, I guess the big question is who gets to decide what's vilification?  A couple of years ago, I was at a neighborhood picnic and a couple of the well known local guys (fishing guides, which is a well respected genre in that seaside neighborhood) walked in wearing red MAGA hats and a few of the neighbors left in a huff, claiming they had been violated, and didn't feel safe.   Is that what they mean by vilification?

There is a cure. It is called 'growing up'.  That being when they realise what all 20 year olds learned quickly/eventually 40-50 years ago - and which the current generations often do not learn - especially those with TDS and/or DTS or anything like that.  It is not all about you and your feelings anymore Princess - we are not your Mummy and we dont give a f*** about you - now suck it up and get on with it and try to do something and maybe become someone.  Nowadays they all think that they are 'someone' - Facebook Tik Tok Youtube etc. have a lot to answer for.  

7 hours ago, impulse said:

There's no cure.

If I would leave in a huff, because I felt violated, by all the shenanigan's that the democrat, progressive, left does, then I would most likely not have many places I could go, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S. of A..   I see it happening just about everywhere I go here.   And not just in Philadelphia.   

Yeh, nah, can't upset someone because of their religious beliefs now can yah.

Australia has turned into a multi-cultural soft c-ck society and everyone hates everyone's guts, but tolerate each other, they are all racists in my opinion.

I often wonder how those who strongly believe in the great "Australian Dream" are going, i.e. of owing their own home, now mortgaged to the hilt with 13 interest rate rises in the past 17 months, oops, didn't see that one coming. We won't mention the rise in the cost of living, for just the basic stuff.

Mate of mine was telling me today that his air conditioner stopped working, he put in a call to the air con people, Tuesday week is the earliest we can have a look at it sir, yeh ok fine,  that will be $135 for the call out and $135 for the 1st hour, do you wish to pay with Visa or Mastercard before our serviceman calls out.

Poor b-stard can't wait to move here, still got 4 years before he can get the age pension and asked me what was wrong with my air con about 6 months ago as he recalled that I too had a problem back then too, I said, the mouse/rat decided to bite into the wire, local air con guy rocked up, did his thing with the wires, and an hour later, ripped my left arm off at 400 baht :stoner:

Been here 8 years and enjoy only seeing Thai's, and of course the mix of expat farangs from time to time too, none of those other dirty ones that just made living in Australia not worth it in the long run, for those of you who live in NSW, you will know which ones I am talking about, there are about 3 races, they don't assimilate and complain about everything and feel entitled.

Australia was fine when they let the Greeks, Italians, Yugo's and the like in back in the 1950's onwards, they worked, kept their gobs shut and then they let all the c-r-a-p-p-y ones in the 1970's and then the 2000's.

There are so many rules and regulations that if one passed wind, he would be fined, I loath the way Australia turned out, ah the lucky country has gone to waste in my opinion. Great place for a holiday, but you can keep your million + $'s 100 square metre 3 bedder and the mortgage which will keep you working 6/th's of your life, I'll take Thailand any day and enjoy doing what I enjoy doing without the added stresses of the Nanny State thank you very much.

Did I mention, the beers cheap here :cheesy: 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Australia was fine when they let the Greeks, Italians, Yugo's and the like in back in the 1950's onwards, they worked, kept their gobs shut and then they let all the c-r-a-p-p-y ones in the 1970's and then the 2000's.

My old man was one of the first group but unfortunately he wasn't so good with money so we ended up in a crappy house in the Bankstown area of Sydney instead of a nice place in the Eastern Suburbs.

Primary school was great, a nice mix of ethnicities and no fights or trouble. Then I went to high school at what was classified a "Disadvantaged School". After the first week I was like, Australia what have you done? 😱

It was bearable until the late '90s then you had the Skaf brothers running around raping everyone and no Aussie did anything about it. If you tried that on with their women you'd be in intensive care. Or a body bag.

Then the beards started to move in in the 2000s. I ended up growing one to try and fit in so I didn't get beheaded. No joke. I lived around the corner from where they picked up a self-styled "sheikh" who was the "mastermind" of a plot to behead random strangers in tourist areas. 

And I won't bore you with all the details of LBC and BFL and all the executions and killings in my local area.

Finally got shot of that hellhole two years ago to come live in Thailand and couldn't be happier. Despite all its flaws it's still better than South-West Sydney.

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Love It 1

I think the question should be when does criticism of a particular religion become vilification?  It does seem to be a bit of a slippery slope. There are aspects of all religions that can be viewed as reprehensible. How do you gauge what is acceptable to castigate and how do you police it?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

My old man was one of the first group but unfortunately he wasn't so good with money so we ended up in a crappy house in the Bankstown area of Sydney instead of a nice place in the Eastern Suburbs.

Yeh, pretty much same areas, Marrickville, sounds like you went to Punchbowl Boys High ?

My late brother lived in Greenacre so I know what your on about.

Yeh can't knock Thailand, warts and all, you don't see that s-c-u-m here. the way I like it.

16 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Australia has turned into a multi-cultural soft c-ck society and everyone hates everyone's guts, but tolerate each other, they are all racists in my opinion.

I often wonder how those who strongly believe in the great "Australian Dream" are going, i.e. of owing their own home, now mortgaged to the hilt with 13 interest rate rises in the past 17 months, oops, didn't see that one coming. We won't mention the rise in the cost of living, for just the basic stuff.

Mate of mine was telling me today that his air conditioner stopped working, he put in a call to the air con people, Tuesday week is the earliest we can have a look at it sir, yeh ok fine,  that will be $135 for the call out and $135 for the 1st hour, do you wish to pay with Visa or Mastercard before our serviceman calls out.

Poor b-stard can't wait to move here, still got 4 years before he can get the age pension and asked me what was wrong with my air con about 6 months ago as he recalled that I too had a problem back then too, I said, the mouse/rat decided to bite into the wire, local air con guy rocked up, did his thing with the wires, and an hour later, ripped my left arm off at 400 baht :stoner:

Been here 8 years and enjoy only seeing Thai's, and of course the mix of expat farangs from time to time too, none of those other dirty ones that just made living in Australia not worth it in the long run, for those of you who live in NSW, you will know which ones I am talking about, there are about 3 races, they don't assimilate and complain about everything and feel entitled.

There are so many rules and regulations that if one passed wind, he would be fined, I loath the way Australia turned out, ah the lucky country has gone to waste in my opinion. Great place for a holiday, but you can keep your million + $'s 100 square metre 3 bedder and the mortgage which will keep you working 6/th's of your life, I'll take Thailand any day and enjoy doing what I enjoy doing without the added stresses of the Nanny State thank you very much.

Just a reminder below of the context of the OP, it is not about cost of living.

The changes make it illegal by a public act to incite hatred or serious contempt or to severely ridicule a person or group because of their religious belief, affiliation or activity. Vilification is defined as abusively disparaging speech or writing.

As to other matters raised, I trust you or your friends who move to Thailand will have sufficient funds for medical care or will you run back to the 'nanny state' if you are critically ill and facing bills of millions of baht e.g. cancer? Regards being 'free' in Thailand, as claimed by some members,  it is crystal clear some members are ignorant of the laws of Thailand.

15 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

I think the question should be when does criticism of a particular religion become vilification?  It does seem to be a bit of a slippery slope. There are aspects of all religions that can be viewed as reprehensible. How do you gauge what is acceptable to castigate and how do you police it?

As a reminder...

The changes make it illegal by a public act to incite hatred or serious contempt or to severely ridicule a person or group because of their religious belief, affiliation or activity.

Vilification is defined as abusively disparaging speech or writing.

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

Just a reminder below of the context of the OP, it is not about cost of living.

Who cares.

The changes make it illegal by a public act to incite hatred or serious contempt or to severely ridicule a person or group because of their religious belief, affiliation or activity. Vilification is defined as abusively disparaging speech or writing.

So they will deport all those who incite hatred because of their religious beliefs will they, give me a break and wake up to reality.

As to other matters raised, I trust you or your friends who move to Thailand will have sufficient funds for medical care or will you run back to the 'nanny state' if you are critically ill and facing bills of millions of baht e.g. cancer? Regards being 'free' in Thailand, as claimed by some members,  it is crystal clear some members are ignorant of the laws of Thailand.

Of course I have sufficient funds for health care here, however if it is going to run into millions of baht, if and when the day comes, then of course I will return to the nanny state to get treatment, which is my legal right, I know how to play the system, not the system me.

I am free in Thailand, whether you like it or not, now get back to work and pay your mortgage.

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2023 at 6:13 PM, Keep Right said:

Its sounds like Australia has become a totalitarian state restricting the freedom of speech. Very sad indeed for the mates down under.

I left 14 years ago and will never go back. After seeing how the Aussie police behaved like the Gestapo during Covid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/13/2023 at 2:31 PM, radiochaser said:

If I would leave in a huff, because I felt violated, by all the shenanigan's that the democrat, progressive, left does, then I would most likely not have many places I could go, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S. of A..   I see it happening just about everywhere I go here.   And not just in Philadelphia.   

Go South young man :biggrin:

I have only been to USA once - but I does seem that the further south you go, the less woke progressive they are.

Perhaps Texas or Florida ? 

Unfortunately as you would know, the extremely far-right anti-woke and anti-progressive are also in that direction (Alabama etc.).

However - there is a lesson in that - in both of those facts - which most people fail to see/hear.

Those who have been 'highly educated' but still hold strong views about 'freedoms' and 'rights' are not woke progressives (Texas etc.).

Those who have not been 'over educated' are not woke progressives (Alabama etc.).

Clearly the lesson is that over-educating people (especially idiots) makes them into woke progressives, because in Alabama etc. they dont over-educate their idiots. 

36 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Who cares.

Content of above post deleted for brevity

Unfortunate to post 'who cares' regards staying on topic. it is obvious you haven't read the OP content link so I ask you please do not post again in this topic until you have done so. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Spot On Mate .

The only thing wrong in what you said, is that you did not mention so many others things that are effed in Australia now.

Mutliculturalism and Diversity and Massive Uneeded Immigration sionce 1990s has fragmented and destroyed the Australian culture.

I was 'debating' this subject (Australian Culture being destroyed) with a greenie lefty woke progressive years ago, who had 3 degrees (he worked for me). He reckoned Australia was a successful multicultural country.  I stated that he was wrong because I had seen it.  I pointed out that in this year I have been see Aust versus the Poms at cricket. And I have been to see Aust versus Kiwis at Rugby.  And I went to the MCG and watched Collingwood play Carlton. And I went again to see Andre Agassi play in the Tennis (Aust Open). I stated that those events are a national tradition and a massive part of the Australian culture. And yet, at all those events I did not see certain types of people - none - they were not there - because they are not 'Australians' and they never will be - and they do not want to be - and I further stated that IMO they should never have been allowed to come to Australia.  Needless to say we agreed to disagree - he was a massive 'academic' who did not think that any sport was valuable - and in his opinion all the Govt money spent on sports should be spent on 'the Arts'.  Unfortunately those type of people have far too much say in what goes on in Australia - we have been pandering to the minorities for so long that they are dominating the majority. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2023 at 10:06 PM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Spot On Mate .

The only thing wrong in what you said, is that you did not mention so many others things that are effed in Australia now.

Mutliculturalism and Diversity and Massive Uneeded Immigration sionce 1990s has fragmented and destroyed the Australian culture.

Can't disagree with you on that.

On 11/14/2023 at 10:06 PM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I was 'debating' this subject (Australian Culture being destroyed) with a greenie lefty woke progressive years ago, who had 3 degrees (he worked for me). He reckoned Australia was a successful multicultural country.  I stated that he was wrong because I had seen it.  

You hit the nail on the head, degrees in my opinion mean absolutely sweet FA, I hold two, and I can tell you, 90% of people that I worked with, had no F idea, it amazes me that because someone holds a degree, all of a sudden people think that person is smart, smart perhaps in putting the time in to complete the degree/s, but personalities and their outlook on reality is someone skewed.

You are 100% correct that the Australian way of life/culture has gone to the dogs, I once remember when you could speak your mind, these days, you'll get arrested, suffice to say, not understanding the lingo here and not seeing any other race here, as mentioned, apart from expats that I see here and there, suites me down to the ground, it reminds me of Australia in the 70's/80's/90's, laid back.

• Thanks 1