Student Killed Trying to Cross Sukhumvit Road In Front of Dusithani College

Banana7

Several days ago, a female student was killed by a truck on Sukhumvit Road, while trying to cross the road, in front of Dusit Thani College. Many of the students live in Lumpani condo on the opposite side of the road or need to cross for other reasons. For years, the College has been asking Pattaya City to install crossing lights to allow safe passage from/to the other side the road but still no action has been taken.

When will Pattaya City act to help pedestrians to safely cross roadways?

Guessing she attempted to cross where you're not suppose to, and there's a barrier between opposing traffic.   Instead of walking down to the U-turn, where you actually can cross the street, since no dividing wall.

One being a 500 meter walk, the other is 800 meter walk, longer but safer, since having traffic signals for cross traffic & U-turns.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Guessing she attempted to cross where you're not suppose to, and there's a barrier between opposing traffic.   Instead of walking down to the U-turn, where you actually can cross the street, since no dividing wall.

One being a 500 meter walk, the other is 800 meter walk, longer but safer, since having traffic signals for cross traffic & U-turns.

No, she got hit where there is a small break in the barrier for pedestrians to cross the road.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

No, she got hit where there is a small break in the barrier for pedestrians to cross the road.

So it's an official crosswalk then ? ... of which I didn't see any on G-streetview, though, may have been provided after G-mapping done.

Though finding it hard to believe, there's an official crosswalk though 4 lanes of traffic, if not more, of divided roadway without warning lights or stop lights.  Ask requested in OP being needed.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

So it's an official crosswalk then ? ... of which I didn't see any on G-streetview, though, may have been provided after G-mapping done.

Though finding it hard to believe, there's an official crosswalk though 4 lanes of traffic, if not more, of divided roadway without warning lights or stop lights.  Ask requested in OP being needed.

It's not an official crosswalk. It's just a break in the barrier to allow pedestrians across the road. It was provided after the college requested a proper crossing for multiple years.

Edited by Banana7

12 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

It's not an official crosswalk. It's just a break in the barrier to allow pedestrians across the road. It was provided after the college requested a proper crossing for multiple years.

One does need to take care when crossing 4 lanes of divided roadway when traffic is moving at speed.  Hopefully others with take note, and actually walk around via traffic light, as the extra few 100 meters could mean the difference between life & death.  And still, never take your eyes off traffic when crossing.

R I P

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

One does need to take care when crossing 4 lanes of divided roadway when traffic is moving at speed.  Hopefully others with take note, and actually walk around via traffic light, as the extra few 100 meters could mean the difference between life & death.  And still, never take your eyes off traffic when crossing.

R I P

In Thailand, it doesn't matter if you cross at the corner with a green light, rarely do cars or motorcycles stop when turning through the pedestrian's right of way. Even at zebra crossings, people get hit. A doctor in Bangkok got killed in a zebra crossing, by a policeman driving a confiscated motorcycle.

Also, at the intersection closest the college, the left northbound lane is marked, that you can go straight through on a red light.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

In Thailand, it doesn't matter if you cross at the corner with a green light, rarely do cars or motorcycles stop when turning through the pedestrian's right of way. Even at zebra crossings, people get hit. A doctor in Bangkok got killed in a zebra crossing, by a policeman driving a confiscated motorcycle.

Also, at the intersection closest the college, the left northbound lane is marked, that you can go straight through on a red light.

Using your 'live in fear' logic, nobody should ever try to cross the road ... :laugh:

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

And still, never take your eyes off traffic when crossing.

R I P

Uncommon common sense, crossing at traffic light intersection provide much more safety.

Edited by KhunLA

When I was at university I almost got hit.  I used the crossing and the bus raced over it and just hit my bag.  That crossing is used by many schools in the area.  So after that I cross with the students.

If you cross alone they will mow you down and keep going.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Even at zebra crossings, people get hit

When will you British learn how to speak English?  It's called a "crosswalk".  There are no Zebras in England or Thailand.  Concrete pavement is gray, not black.  No such thing as black concrete, so there's no such thing as a "zebra" walk unless you are on safari in Africa.

P.S. Crosswalk has less letters than "zebra walk" so you can probably say it quicker, too.  No excuse for your <deleted> up nonsense jargon. 😲 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 2:08 PM, SiSePuede419 said:

When will you British learn how to speak English?  It's called a "crosswalk".  There are no Zebras in England or Thailand.  Concrete pavement is gray, not black.  No such thing as black concrete, so there's no such thing as a "zebra" walk unless you are on safari in Africa.

P.S. Crosswalk has less letters than "zebra walk" so you can probably say it quicker, too.  No excuse for your <deleted> up nonsense jargon. 😲 

This perhaps explains the over-simplification and dumbing down of the English lang\uage for the simpletons across the pond !!! :hit-the-fan:

... and its grey.....  a pelican crossing is going to blow your mind...  as for toucan crossing - that may be just a step too far for you !!!

On 11/15/2023 at 8:54 AM, Chris Daley said:

When I was at university I almost got hit.  I used the crossing and the bus raced over it and just hit my bag.  That crossing is used by many schools in the area.  So after that I cross with the students.

If you cross alone they will mow you down and keep going.

On a crossing (in Thailand), I thought the truck (small lorry) would slow with the other traffic...  

He kind of did a little, but seemingly reluctantly and not enough...   I had to 'jog out of the way' the wing mirror of the lorry hit my shoulder. 

I kicked the side of the lorry. The driver stopped then. I was furious. 

The driver got out...  then thought twice and got back in and drove off.

I thought twice and realised I was lucky he didn't have a machete with him. 

Life is cheap here, consideration for others on the roads non-existent.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/15/2023 at 7:08 PM, SiSePuede419 said:

It is called zebra crossing in the west apart from Merika 

On 11/14/2023 at 1:55 AM, richard_smith237 said:

if it gets sufficient media attention to embarrass officials they'll have a couple of crossing painted and announce a crack-down....   

... thats all that happened after there was national outrage when a policeman on a bike shot through a crossing in Bangkok killing a young female doctor. 

There are many more than "a couple" of those crossings in Bangkok as a result of that accident.

On 11/15/2023 at 6:08 PM, SiSePuede419 said:

Silly pedantic statement.

Zebra crossing, pedestrian crossing, crosswalk, crossing all the same depending on your country of origin.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 11:13 AM, Banana7 said:

Several days ago, a female student was killed by a truck on Sukhumvit Road, while trying to cross the road, in front of Dusit Thani College. Many of the students live in Lumpani condo on the opposite side of the road or need to cross for other reasons. For years, the College has been asking Pattaya City to install crossing lights to allow safe passage from/to the other side the road but still no action has been taken.

I can't believe it's been years, and there are still no crossing lights there. Seriously, what's the holdup, Pattaya City? Students from Lumpani condo and others in the area shouldn't have to play Frogger just to get to the other side. Maybe it's time we kick up a fuss about this. Can we start some kind of petition or something?

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 4:13 PM, Banana7 said:

Crossing lights !! even more will be killed as drivers ignore them totally.

Very sad for this poor girl.

Edited by Henryford
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Henryford said:

Crossing lights !! even more will be killed as drivers ignore them totally.

Very sad for this poor girl.

It's crucial for us students to look out for each other, especially in these areas. By the way, if you're into persuasive essays or need some writing inspiration, check out GradesFixer here - https://gradesfixer.com/essay-types/persuasive-essays/ It's been a game-changer for me when I needed examples and ideas for my essays. We've got to share these helpful resources, right? Stay safe out there, and let's help each other succeed in academics!

I am afraid that this is not the first and not the last victim of simple human irresponsibility. Be careful on the roads! It is well known that the rules of the road are written in blood. This also applies to pedestrians! Do not neglect the rules and, especially at night, make yourself as visible as possible on the road. Use reflective elements, flashlights, etc., especially if you wear dark clothes. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most of the time, city officials and/or Police don't or won't act until at least one person is seriously injured or dies. But for this one school girl death, neither have taken any actions to prevent more accidents in the same place. Someone else's life doesn't seemed to be valued in Thailand unless you are part of the superior/upper/ruling/richest class.

In and round the heavy traffic streets like beach road and pattaya Klang, especially near the corners, there are about a hundred motor vehicles parked in the red and white or yellow and white curb areas. These parked vehicles obstruct traffic and drivers' views and make the roadways more dangerous. Basically all of the Soi corner areas that intersect Beach road have illegally parked motor vehicles. In past years the cops came around once or twice a year to collect/fine the vehicles, but no visits since the re-paving of beach road. Also none of the pedestrian crossing lights are working on beach road. For some beach road crosswalks, the new cameras don't look at the cross walks and many of the crosswalk remain unpainted.

Finally, beach road walkway on the beach side is still under construction, so people who want to walk on the beach side, now have to walk on the roadway. As usually, there are no barriers to separate pedestrian and motor vehicle traffic, helping to provide safe passage for pedestrians. It seems pedestrian safety is a very low priority for Pattaya City hall, the contractor and Police in Pattaya.

23 hours ago, PJ71 said:

A lot of thais are too lazy to use these.

I am not a fan myself! I noticed just recently, there are pedestrian crossing signals at the Klang/Suk junction.... but they don't get used....the little green man is flashing when traffic is still moving!

Què? Còmo?😟😟

There are lots of Zebra in the UK.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36356363

And, allegedly, there are more zebra in Thailand than in Africa.

https://www.richardbarrow.com/2012/08/does-thailand-really-have-more-zebras-than-africa/

And black concrete is not uncommon.

https://coolhunting.com/design/understanding-black-concrete/#:~:text=While rare%2C black concrete can,carbon black can be used.

Finally, a zebra crossing is not the same as a crosswalk, a zebra crossing is distinguished by belisha beacons, one  on each end.