Braverman plots Tory rebellion on Rwanda plan after stinging attack on PM

CharlieH

image.png

Suella Braverman has launched an astonishing personal attack on Rishi Sunak, describing the prime minister as weak and dishonest and claiming he reneged on promises to push through a series of controversial policy pledges.

In a brutal three-page letter published a day after she was sacked as home secretary, Braverman warned Sunak that she now intends to spearhead a Tory rebellion over the government’s Rwanda plan.

“Someone needs to be honest: your plan is not working, we have endured record election defeats, your resets have failed and we are running out of time. You need to change course urgently,” she wrote.

Dozens of Conservative MPs are poised to demand that the government quits the European convention on human rights, a move resisted by senior cabinet ministers, if the UK’s highest court rules against sending asylum seekers to Rwanda on Wednesday.

Home Office insiders said the government had no plan B in the event of losing in the supreme court, suggesting that ministers were “panicked” over the potential outcome. They warned it was highly unlikely that flights to Rwanda would be able to take off before February even if they won.

In her letter, Braverman said that Sunak had failed to prepare a credible backup plan and had ignored her suggestion – believed to be emergency legislation to change domestic law so that the government could ignore the ruling and the flights could go ahead.

“I can only surmise that this is because you have no appetite for doing what is necessary, and therefore no real intention of fulfilling your pledge to the British people,” she added.

Sunak vowed to continue working to tackle small boat crossings regardless of the supreme court verdict. No 10 advisers believe that only a dozen or so backbenchers are prepared to fall in behind Braverman, while some Tory MPs feel the viciousness of her attack will make it harder for them to publicly back her.

FULL STORY

Guardian.png

• Haha 1

“She [Braverman] railed against Mr Sunak's 'magical thinking' for failing to come up with a back-up plan if justices in the UK's highest court rule the Rwanda scheme unlawful, adding that he could betray his promise to 'stop the boats' even in the event of victory.”

‘Magical thinking’

Is that the bit we’re having made a promise to do something you are then informed your plan to do it is unlawful but you think because you made a promise you have the right to break the law.

’Sorry Gov, I was only robbing the bank because I promised my girlfriend I’d buy her a be a frock, would it be OK if I rob a building society instead?!’

• Agree 1

I've just read the text of the letter. It is pretty devastating.

One of the major problems which the Tory Party has is that the views of much of the Parliamentary Party are out of step with those of the constituency party and more widely those ( many voters at the last election) who elected them. That is how they ended up with Rishi Sunak as leader. The Parliamentary Party won't challenge him this side of the election, and will go down in flames at that election - they know that.

Suella Braverman is positioning herself for a challenge after that defeat.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

I've just read the text of the letter. It is pretty devastating.

One of the major problems which the Tory Party has is that the views of much of the Parliamentary Party are out of step with those of the constituency party and more widely those ( many voters at the last election) who elected them. That is how they ended up with Rishi Sunak as leader. The Parliamentary Party won't challenge him this side of the election, and will go down in flames at that election - they know that.

Suella Braverman is positioning herself for a challenge after that defeat.

Don’t worry the General Election will act as a corrective measure.