Thai hospital chief issues warning on risky neck cracking habits for fatigue relief

webfact

image.jpeg

The head of the New Accident Disease Health Science Centre at Chulalongkorn Hospital issued a public warning about the dangers of the common habit of neck cracking to alleviate tiredness.

This seemingly harmless practice could lead to critical conditions such as stroke and ruptured blood vessels, especially when coupled with medication, said Teerawat Hemajutha.

Twisting, tilting, and shaking the neck could lead to stroke. This seemingly harmless routine or action to relieve tiredness or even a common method in physical therapy and bone setting, could turn perilous. If not careful, it could rupture the walls of blood vessels that feed the brain, particularly the posterior pair, leading to brain tissue death and subsequent stroke or paralysis.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

also can lead to neck problems. i am in the know... i had an american football accident yearssss ago (someone 6 foot 5, 350lbs) face masked me causing neck damage. later on i kept cracking my neck for relief. mow, i have very serious neck issues that are causing extreme pain in my arms and hands. i will soon need neck surgery to lock my vertebrae. 

i just hate the movies where the hero cracks his neck before going into action... this seemingly cool thing to do actually gives the wrong idea to kids. if you can, avoid cracking your neck

This is a very timely article for me. I had a fall about 18 months ago, landing heavily on my right shoulder. There was no apparent fracture and I cured my vey stiff and painful shoulder using NSAIDs and gentle manipulation. But my neck, although apparently uninjured, does creak and pop if I move it around too much. I shall treat it a lot more gently from here on in, just in case.

Thanks for sharing your story.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

This is a very timely article for me. I had a fall about 18 months ago, landing heavily on my right shoulder. There was no apparent fracture and I cured my vey stiff and painful shoulder using NSAIDs and gentle manipulation. But my neck, although apparently uninjured, does creak and pop if I move it around too much. I shall treat it a lot more gently from here on in, just in case.

Thanks for sharing your story.

you are welcome

whenever you sleep, you should also try to wear one of those neck braces. it helps me significantly. i had to stop, for now, because i have developed some acne where i wear it, even if i wash the collar and dry it in the sun.

the collars are cheap and if you can put up with it it will really help. i know that when i wear it i wake up feeling much better than when i dont

good luck take care and it is really to understand the idiom  PAIN IN THE NECK...lol

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dirk Z said:

He is totally right. This is dangerous and irresponsible practice. I have seen trouble up to quadriplegia as a result of this.

From a simple cracking neack as it moves or was it a chiropractic manipulation?

I've seen some of those manipulations and they can be very dangerous leading to injury like you say.

Sometimes my neck cracks a little when I move it around, tiny amounts - this is not the same as having a chiropractor swing your entire body around by the neck nearly removing your head and resulting in a massive crack.

19 hours ago, ukrules said:

From a simple cracking neack as it moves or was it a chiropractic manipulation?

I've seen some of those manipulations and they can be very dangerous leading to injury like you say.

Sometimes my neck cracks a little when I move it around, tiny amounts - this is not the same as having a chiropractor swing your entire body around by the neck nearly removing your head and resulting in a massive crack.

Spontaneous movement will not lead to dislocation, I am referring to manipulation.