Former PM Prayut’s wealth increases by Bt1.5 million over nine years

snoop1130

I've always known that he wasn't really in it for the money. This just proves that he's completely happy with nothing more than a few hundred million baht of retirement funds.

Seriously though, his real "flaw" (besides holding the country back at gunpoint obviously) was that he did nothing to rein in those seriously greedy elements in his government who were allowed to rob the country of billions and billions.

• Agree 1

On 11/25/2023 at 10:30 AM, BritScot said:

Really "I'm OK Jack", having lived in Thailand before during and after the last two coups, I can assure you life became more difficult for expats. With many expats (my friends) leaving Thailand me included. Attitudes definatly changed against expats right after my first coup with Western teachers within thai education being kicked out and replaced by Philippine teachers. Teachers pay has infact gone down in the past 18 years. Industries leave and the list goes on and on. Backward banking and the never ending double/triple pricing aimed at foreigners. If like many who come to thailand living in their rose coloured bubble especially after investing heavily in a house etc are so happy mostly from the need they never screwed up big time. Then the cracks start appearing and it becomes harder and harder to sit abblivious to one's surroundings then bitterness creeps in and then often pushed to leave. Having a bank hold your money 800k or 400k sits OK with sum but most normal people it's a problem. I for one have a conscious and find it difficult living in a country under military rule witnessing persecution of opposition and decanting voices. People should never forget the brave nurse that was witness to the murder at the temple what persecution was thrown at her and the question I always ask where is she now? Enjoy life Jack.

Been here since the early 90's pal and not really interested in your whinging.

Not sure why you refer to "English" teachers. As after reading the abysmal standard of English in   your post, It has to be said that  if that is how you intended trying to fund your stay here,  sadly you were dreaming. are you even a native speaker?  No wonder you left , I'm surprised they didn't throw you out 

Not sure how you can blame Prayut or anybody else for that

Rest Assured i do enjoy life and shall continue to do so for as long as I can.  But don't be too hard on yourself Thailand is not for everybody 

On 11/25/2023 at 3:26 AM, spidermike007 said:

You have got to be kidding. Thailand's days as a tourist mecca are behind it now. They will have to live on scraps. None of the myriad of issues that existed long before Covid have been addressed, and the quality of tourist Thailand attracts has been declining for years. Nearly anyone in the industry will attest to that. Few tourists will be interested in visiting a Quaker state, built on a foundation of fake purity, stripped of its character, by fools who know nothing about anything.

The recession that is likely coming next year will not help. But, a lot of Thailand's current economic woes are largely self inflicted. This exceedingly reckless administration engaged in multiple, highly selective economic shutdowns, that favored their cronies, and punished the masses. They also kept the nation closed off for far too long, and decimated tourism. Then they partially re-opened, with draconian restrictions.

So, if you want to put the blame in the place it belongs, blame Prayuth and Prawit. They are the architects of the downfall of Thailand, the increased suicides, homelessness, crime, unemployment, and unhappiness of the people. How and why was this disaster inflicted upon the economy? I would go one step further, and include the Prayuth decimation as one of the causes of the economic stagnation we are seeing now. This was not entirely circumstantial, and the revisionist history is already beginning, it would appear. So many things could have been done, to ensure a softer landing, when covid was not a factor anymore. The highly selective economic shutdowns which favored cronies, at the expense of the average Thai were punitive and extremely damaging, resulting in higher suicides, homelessness, crushed lives, countless lost businesses, and a further spread of the disease. 

The destruction of the tourism industry (which some might argue was a purification campaign in disguise, meant to get rid of nightlife and the sex industry) went on far longer that it should have, leading to far fewer tourists returning here, as the nation has largely been forgotten. The restriction were way too much, for far too long.

I know taking responsibility for one's actions is not exactly a strong suit here. But, Prayuth, Phiphat, Prawit, and Anutin are directly responsibility for much of the economic woes we are seeing now, and should be held responsible, and called out on this. The numbers do not even begin to reflect the amount of damage done to the cash economy, which is never counted in unemployment numbers, lost GDP, lost businesses, etc. Covid was one small factor. Irresponsible actions, an extraordinary lack of leadership, choosing a vaccine with the lowest efficacy available, refusing help from the international community with the vaccines, until it was too late, and showing extreme cowardice by keeping the door to tourism closed for far too long, and then opening with draconian restrictions, were huge mistakes, and someone needs to be held responsible.

You may be right, but name one government on the planet  that dealt with covid in a slick and effective way, they were all shown to have been incompetent and too easily manipulated by either experts or the media, Industries and economies around the world have been decimated by poor decisions made by politicians since long before covid and I don't think these lot have done any worse than the UK or the  US governments or anybody else. The entire world appears to be controlled by fools who know nothing about anything.  one could be forgiven for thinking that was the basic qualification for entering politics

I've been here long enough to have heard endless predictions about the end of tourism, Military Coups, Natural Disasters, Global Pandemics, each apparently heralded the end   but the tourists , just like the doom and gloom predictions  seem to keep coming, and to be honest there is nowhere else I'd rather be.

If this tax issue does happen you will be looking back nostalgically at the Prayut years with a tear in your eyes along with the rest whilst you fill your tax return in  and mail them the cheque with your fingers crossed hoping they will honour some tax agreement that they won't even read

Whilst the covid restrictions may have been restrictive I am inclined to think that living here will be made increasingly more difficult  by this new administration. I'm Just thankful that other lot didn't get in

On 11/25/2023 at 1:25 PM, MikeN said:

Why did Prayut need 9 guns ? I thought that he claimed that he had to continue living in the army barracks for security reasons....he couldn't have been very confident in that security if he needed 9 guns for protection.

maybe he collects them