Google Pay and cardless ATM withdrawals?

Can Google Pay/Wallet be used for cardless ATM withdrawals at Thai banks?

I've read that it was possible at Bangkok Bank, but when I informed at this bank they told me this was only possible if I had a Bangkok Bank account.

So, any information on cardless ATM withdrawals?

From knowing the process of cardless withdrawal at Bangkok Bank I have no idea how this could work without a Bangkok Bank account and online banking.

I like to be proven wrong

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

From knowing the process of cardless withdrawal at Bangkok Bank

Maybe I’m a simpleton but can you explain to me the process of doing it, is it any quicker or easier than with a card. I do have a Bangkok Bank account and have been tempted to try to do it but there’s always someone waiting behind me and not want to make a fool of myself trying to fathom it out. Thanks. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, agg211 said:

Can Google Pay/Wallet be used for cardless ATM withdrawals at Thai banks?

I've read that it was possible at Bangkok Bank, but when I informed at this bank they told me this was only possible if I had a Bangkok Bank account.

So, any information on cardless ATM withdrawals?

no, cardless ATM are Thai Bank's own invention and not a standard from the cards company.

and even uses of Google Pay and Apple Pay to pay for goods and services in Thailand can be sporadic with some cashier's edc terminal not being compatible

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

Thank you Digbeth, probably easier than it sounds but think I’ll wait till no one’s behind me when I try. 

You can do all the preliminary stuff noted by @digbeth before you get in the line so that the app will be in "Scan QR code" mode. 

Then just press the Cardless Withdrawal button on the bottom left of the ATM screen, scan the QR code with the app, then press the confirm button on the right-hand side of the screen.

It takes a while for the app to time out so no need to rush. Most folk take forever at the ATM anyway so let 'em wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

Thanks lemsta69, I’ll have a go later today although the only advantage I see in it is in saving the out of province fee which for me is probably a weekly cost. 

I use it purely to avoid the out-of-province fee, the 15 baht sticks in my craw.

Almost impossible for me to open a new bank account in Bangkok because of my particular circumstances so the Cardless Cash is a godsend. No fee means I can withdraw as much or as little as I like, as often as I like. 

I still keep the physical MasterCard debit card as a backup because the app isn't always available.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

You can do all the preliminary stuff noted by @digbeth before you get in the line so that the app will be in "Scan QR code" mode. 

Then just press the Cardless Withdrawal button on the bottom left of the ATM screen, scan the QR code with the app, then press the confirm button on the right-hand side of the screen.

It takes a while for the app to time out so no need to rush. Most folk take forever at the ATM anyway so let 'em wait.

Yes that's the best way, i do the prep walking to the ATM, when i get to the ATM I'm scanning. Otherwise the process is too slow

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, poppysdad said:

Thanks lemsta69, I’ll have a go later today although the only advantage I see in it is in saving the out of province fee which for me is probably a weekly cost. 

Another advantage is that your phone cannot be "skimmed" but a card can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1