Safety Deposit Box

Recently told the yearly fee for our small box would jump from bt1,700 to bt9,000.  One explanation from the employee was the bank was trying to phase out safety boxes and this was part of the transition.  I'm guessing that's not the truth and they're just trying to push us out to attract higher end customers by having more boxes available. 

Anyone else experiencing something similar?

Thanks

Which bank?

I have a box with Krungsri, Pleochit, and they have a habit of doubling the rental every 5 years. It's gradually increased from Bht535 per year, to 1070, then 2140 if they follow the pattern I expect it to jump to Bht4280 next year.

Normally most of the branch's safety deposit boxes are full, need to find a new branch that's just opened to get a chance of renting one.

but with some Banks like SCB closing down branches, it's foreseeable that there's not gonna be enough to go around in desirable area 

It's with TTB.  I'm thinking even in undesirable areas there aren't a lot of safety boxes to go around.  My TTB account was solely opened for the box and never used.  Can't blame them too much for wanting to push us out, but still want a box ..... for far less than 9K a year  :)

15 minutes ago, ouagadougou said:

It's with TTB.  I'm thinking even in undesirable areas there aren't a lot of safety boxes to go around.  My TTB account was solely opened for the box and never used.  Can't blame them too much for wanting to push us out, but still want a box ..... for far less than 9K a year  :)

So just move to another provider then? There are various I believe starts from 4-5K a year.

19 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

So just move to another provider then? There are various I believe starts from 4-5K a year.

36 minutes ago, ouagadougou said:

20 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

20 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

23 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Wish we could do that, but they're all taken up ... or if there is one vacant it's likely quietly set aside for hi-so customers to come along.  But yes, will keep looking around. 

Just now, ouagadougou said:

Wish we could do that, but they're all taken up ... or if there is one vacant it's likely quietly set aside for hi-so customers to come along.  But yes, will keep looking around. 

There are dozens available in all sizes, you clearly haven't done a simple google search so far then.

2 hours ago, ouagadougou said:

I'm down south, nowhere near BKK, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai, Pattaya, Hua Hin etc

I couldn't find any available in Hat Yai, which is why I have one in Bangkok. 

2 hours ago, mikebike said:

I'm in NST. Quick google Maps search shows many in the South.

Google all you want, but that won't tell you if they actually have any boxes available.

Edited by Stocky
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stocky said:

I couldn't find any available in Hat Yai, which is why I have one in Bangkok. 

Google all you want, but that won't tell you if they actually have any boxes available.

So you have contacted every supplier in the South, eh? Somehow I doubt it. Just keep whinging then. We had no issues getting a box in a small village in the south... 

28 minutes ago, mikebike said:

So you have contacted every supplier in the South, eh? Somehow I doubt it. Just keep whinging then. We had no issues getting a box in a small village in the south... 

And neither have you. It's not whinging, all I'm pointing out is Google will give you and idea but it doesn't show you availability.