Black mold and awful smell in aircon.

geisha

hi all, need some ideas here.,My friend has 2 aircon at home. One in bedroom , cheap make, no problem. The Daikin in living room is relatively new, 5 years, and this one has the mold and stink. They clean it regularly, maintenance done by 2 different well known firms, Last maintenance they took it apart, and could not find the problem. 2 months after it was back to mold. They are all baffled . Before they chuck it out, is there a hidden reason somewhere ? Thanks. ( ps they say it works well in spite of mold and stink ) .

The building I moved in 3 years ago was brand new.

We have Diakin aircons in the room. Every single one has a failed motherboard after being used for only 3 years. My wife heard from the management that other rooms have the same problem.

They also require cleaning every 6 months. I mean not preventive cleaning. The aircon literally produces no cold of not cleaned.

Junk junk junk

• Thumbs Up 1

Clean thoroughly all of the living room - there probably is black mould hidden in the walls/furniture.

Do the same outside near where the main unit is - maybe that is the source.

The a/c sucks the spores into the unit and they grow exponitionally in that environment.  

Spray bleach and/or mould killer liberally everywhere in living room.

Once that stuff gets a hold inside it is extremely hard to get rid of it. 

If he rents - move.

If he owns the place - get a new Mitsubishi with antimould - replace all the pipes too - all incoming and outgoing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Clean thoroughly all of the living room - there probably is black mould hidden in the walls/furniture.

Do the same outside near where the main unit is - maybe that is the source.

The a/c sucks the spores into the unit and they grow exponitionally in that environment.  

Spray bleach and/or mould killer liberally everywhere in living room.

Once that stuff gets a hold inside it is extremely hard to get rid of it. 

If he rents - move.

If he owns the place - get a new Mitsubishi with antimould - replace all the pipes too - all incoming and outgoing.

Hi, thanks, apparently the walls are completely dry and no sign of mold. The bedroom aircon works great no mold. They’ve lived there 15 yrs. What we can’t understand is why the technicians from 2 different companies have no idea where it’s coming from. Thanks, if it’s the motherboard it’s probably cheaper to replace the aircon. Didn’t know there were anti mold air cons ?? 

24 minutes ago, geisha said:

Hi, thanks, apparently the walls are completely dry and no sign of mold. The bedroom aircon works great no mold. They’ve lived there 15 yrs. What we can’t understand is why the technicians from 2 different companies have no idea where it’s coming from. Thanks, if it’s the motherboard it’s probably cheaper to replace the aircon. Didn’t know there were anti mold air cons ?? 

sr_series_2021.pdf (mhi.com) (cxould not find latest model brochure)

IMO Mitsubishi are the best air-cons available in Thailand.

But only buy from a registered retailer and installer - many cowboys here (actually - they are the majority).

Black mould is actually a fungus - check out the model range and look for those with the anti-fungal feature.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

sr_series_2021.pdf (mhi.com) (cxould not find latest model brochure)

IMO Mitsubishi are the best air-cons available in Thailand.

But only buy from a registered retailer and installer - many cowboys here (actually - they are the majority).

Black mould is actually a fungus - check out the model range and look for those with the anti-fungal feature.

Thank you very much, very helpful and they’re looking into it tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your help.  They’re ordering a new aircon as soon as they find the one that has the Anti Fungal feature like Mitsubishi.  We’ve come to the conclusion that it could very well be the motherboard  as everything else is good. Cheers all. 

On 11/26/2023 at 1:16 AM, geisha said:

hi all, need some ideas here.,My friend has 2 aircon at home. One in bedroom , cheap make, no problem. The Daikin in living room is relatively new, 5 years, and this one has the mold and stink. They clean it regularly, maintenance done by 2 different well known firms, Last maintenance they took it apart, and could not find the problem. 2 months after it was back to mold. They are all baffled . Before they chuck it out, is there a hidden reason somewhere ? Thanks. ( ps they say it works well in spite of mold and stink ) .

Come on man why are you so shy to admit it is your problem

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Bleach won't usually be effective with mold, due to biomass.

Bleach kills virtually every species of indoor mold that it comes into contact with including mold spores which leaves a sanitized surface making it resistant to future mold growth. However, bleach is only effective if the mold is growing on non-porous materials such as tiles, bathrubs, glass and countertops.

https://www.homehealthyhomes.com/services/mold-services/mold-information/how-to-kill-mold/

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, BenStark said:

Bleach kills virtually every species of indoor mold that it comes into contact with including mold spores which leaves a sanitized surface making it resistant to future mold growth. However, bleach is only effective if the mold is growing on non-porous materials such as tiles, bathrubs, glass and countertops.

https://www.homehealthyhomes.com/services/mold-services/mold-information/how-to-kill-mold/

Which means it will propagate again from the grout which exists between tiles.

On 11/26/2023 at 1:16 AM, geisha said:

2 months after it was back to mold.

Is the AC level ? Or at least a little slop toward its drain ? 
To clean evaporator I spray bleach about 1L (1/4 water) every 2 or 3 months. 
If evaporator not getting near freezing point and sweats mold could grow on it. 

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Which means it will propagate again from the grout which exists between tiles.

Last time I checked there were no tiles and grout inside an aircon, which this topic is about.

Good try at deflecting, but no cigar for you

Edited by BenStark

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

Last time I checked there were no tiles and grout inside an aircon, which this topic is about.

Good try at deflecting, but no cigar for you

You used the words " non- porous materials such as tiles ".

If anyone is deflecting now, it's you.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

You used the words " non- porous materials such as tiles ".

If anyone is deflecting now, it's you.

I didn't use ANY words, they were in the text that I copy and pasted.

This topic is about and AIR-CONDITIONER, not about tiles or non-porous materials, since an aircon is made of metals and pvc.

You claimed that bleach would not work for the OP's issue, which is mould in his aircon, not on the grout of his floor tiles.

Welcome to my ignore list

Edited by BenStark

4 hours ago, BenStark said:

I didn't use ANY words, they were in the text that I copy and pasted.

This topic is about and AIR-CONDITIONER, not about tiles or non-porous materials, since an aircon is made of metals and pvc.

You claimed that bleach would not work for the OP's issue, which is mould in his aircon, not on the grout of his floor tiles.

Welcome to my ignore list

Gee, I'll be crying myself to sleep tonight.

On 11/26/2023 at 7:59 PM, xtrnuno41 said:

fungus it must have a moist area and a lack of ventilation.

That's why there were mushrooms growing in her skin folds. 

I came to read about aircon and received enlightenment on a more pressing subject.  Thank you.