Thai Health Ministry dealing with potential spread of respiratory illness from China

webfact

image.jpeg

The Thai Ministry of Public Health has adopted four precautionary measures to cope with a respiratory illness which is now spreading among children in northern China.

Several experts in infectious diseases, among them Professor Dr. Yong Poovorawan, Professor Dr. Kulkanya Chokephaibulkit and Associate Professor Dr. Tawee Chotpitayasunondh, have been mobilised by the ministry for consultations and to help in developing measures to cope with the disease.

The first measure is surveillance. Health officials, especially in tourist provinces, have been instructed to monitor pneumonia cases in hospitals, to report cases of unknown cause and to take specimens from the patients for lab tests. If there is an unusual upsurge in pneumonia or respiratory illness cases among patients or medical staff, the officials must conduct an investigation and take specimens from the patients for analysis, so disease control measures can be rolled out.

The second measure is to advise members of the public to wear face masks and to wash their hands frequently.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-11-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, smedly said:

but no - tourism is more important, close the border now, we don't

hey man. been reading your post over and over trying to figure out what you are saying and im still not clear. looks like something is missing after 'we dont' 

i get the gist but i keep scratching my bald spot

• Haha 1

Wednesday I got out of hospital after two days with what was diagnosed as a bacterial lung infection, mild pneumonia, but all the lab results were still pending. Thursday I have a follow up and chest x-ray and intend to ask all the questions I can think of.

China delenda est.

• Thumbs Up 1

Many Thais never stopped wearing masks. I don't think the public health ministry needs to keep advising Thais to wear masks as they'll continue wearing masks forever regardless.

I see plenty of people emerge from their homes wearing masks, meaning that masks are worn inside their homes. 

Many schools still have mask mandates it seems and even in those that don't, a large number of students wear them. Some workplaces still have mandatory mask policies in place. 

Edited by Highlandman

On 11/27/2023 at 5:06 AM, smedly said:

now that is worth paying attention to

but no - tourism is more important, close the border now, we don't

They'll close the border very quickly IF they decide to. Then the TAT will be promoting the wonders of a 21 night quarantine, which will also feature a 51 day Thai visa free allowance: 30 days + 21 extra for the quarantine. 

They'll rub their hands together and use influencers and meet foreign ambassadors to try and promote the wonders of traveling in Thailand with mandatory muzzles 24/7 (which will be reimposed by then) and other joys that were experienced between 2020 and early 2022 and are now returning.

11 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Then the TAT will be promoting the wonders of a 21 night quarantine

555, I will never get my head around that one, ok yes people who lived here may have needed to return but some were actually coming on holiday ..... the mind boggles

Then the absurdity of those with family (many examples) who could stay all day in the family home but had to return to a quarantine hotel to sleep - only in Thailand 

• Thumbs Up 1