Tourists Having to File a Thai Tax Return

koolkarl

5 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Completely wrong.

Really?

So if you reclaim tax on interest paid and fail to report assessable overseas income, that's OK? 

How about if you only report half your assessable income and ignore the other half, I suppose that's OK too!

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

So if you reclaim tax on interest paid and fail to report assessable overseas income, that's OK? 

No, but under current rules I have no assessable income, since to be assessable, it has to be remitted in the year earned. Plus, even if remitted in same year earned, my military retirement pay and Social Security would not be assessable income, since the US has exclusive taxation rights, per the DTA, on this income.

Maybe I misunderstood an earlier post of yours which seemed to say you filed an annual Thai tax return that included non assessable income......? If so, why would you do this -- do you think the Thais are interested in numbers that don't result in tax revenue?

19 minutes ago, JimGant said:

No, but under current rules I have no assessable income, since to be assessable, it has to be remitted in the year earned. Plus, even if remitted in same year earned, my military retirement pay and Social Security would not be assessable income, since the US has exclusive taxation rights, per the DTA, on this income.

Maybe I misunderstood an earlier post of yours which seemed to say you filed an annual Thai tax return that included non assessable income......? If so, why would you do this -- do you think the Thais are interested in numbers that don't result in tax revenue?

1) This is not just about you and your circumstances

2) As I have told you previously, I do give ALL my numbers to the RD when they enter them into the system, assessable and non-assessable. This is because there does not appear to be anywhere on the form to notate non-assessable income but I don't know if that's true of the online system since it's all in Thai. The other reason I do that is because I don't deem myself to be a tax expert, nor an arbiter of what is assessable or not, under any DTA that may exist so I leave it to them to decide. If when they are finished entering my data, their bottom line agrees with me, there are no issues to discuss. They always agree.

3) Yes I do think Thai's are interested in numbers that don't result in tax revenue, I think they want clarity as to what transfer are for et al.  If this was not true, why else would they go to the trouble of entering all my data into the tax system when the result is no tax due.

1 hour ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

That one is living in a foreign land like a refugee from year to year till he dies, possibly using a "wify" visa, which speaks volumes about putting up a fight. 

Well OK but I was quoting without direct reference --

This same long-standing poster may use his long-standing modus operandi on the Revenue folks:

Edited by jerrymahoney

10 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I do give ALL my numbers to the RD when they enter them into the system, assessable and non-assessable. This is because there does not appear to be anywhere on the form to notate non-assessable income

Has it ever occurred to you that, the reason for no place to notate non-assessable income, is because they're not interested in income that has no meaning in regards to your tax bill.....

If this was not true, why else would they go to the trouble of entering all my data into the tax system when the result is no tax due.

Trying to humor you, perhaps....? And your implication that you'd be guilty of fraud, if you didn't provide info on non-assessable income, is just plain weird.

2 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Has it ever occurred to you that, the reason for no place to notate non-assessable income, is because they're not interested in income that has no meaning in regards to your tax bill.....

That would be unusual since every other country I file taxes in or have ever filed taxes in, does.

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:
1 hour ago, JimGant said:

That would be unusual since every other country I file taxes in or have ever filed taxes in, does.

Well, in the US, you don't report these on your Form 1040:  Gifts, inheritance, welfare payments, alimony (since 2018), child support payments, health care benefits, life insurance proceeds, credit card cash rebates, scholarships, etc. But, yeah, you do report tax exempt interest from municipal bonds, since Uncle Sam needs this to figure your "modified adjusted gross income," which, if too high, means you pay a higher Medicare premium.

Anyway, I'll let you worry about reporting all your non-assessable income, lest the fraud police come knocking. Jeez.

15 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Well, in the US, you don't report these on your Form 1040:  Gifts, inheritance, welfare payments, alimony (since 2018), child support payments, health care benefits, life insurance proceeds, credit card cash rebates, scholarships, etc. But, yeah, you do report tax exempt interest from municipal bonds, since Uncle Sam needs this to figure your "modified adjusted gross income," which, if too high, means you pay a higher Medicare premium.

Anyway, I'll let you worry about reporting all your non-assessable income, lest the fraud police come knocking. Jeez.

Are you bored, lonely, ever considered a hobby!